Dragonfly Scale Farming

A forum topic  had opened for a question of an efficient way of farming dragonfly scales. This pondered me about how inefficient the gunpowder tactic was. So I came up for a number of research with the help of the Don't Starve wiki, @Asparagus' bunnyman count and my knowledge of pathfinding behaviors.

Thanks to the Don't Starve community wiki and @Asparagus ' shenanigans and his low framerate videos about fighting the dragonfly. I came up for a way of an effective scale farm.

May I represent together with R.O.O.K WX-78, the D-Grinder!!!!

20161024065949_1.jpg20161024070134_1.jpg

This contraption uses homeless bunnymen encased in an enclosure, a small pathway for you and the dragonfly to get in between, a melee weapon  of choice, armor of preference and an optional, a life-saver.

A step by step program of how to create and operate. will be produced shortly if I can get me time for it but for the meantime I'll care to explain the technicalities.

The dragonfly has a mechanic wherever if you deal more than 1250 damage, it will go into a forced knock-out. And if you could deal 2500 damage she will drop a scale. She will not drop anymore scales when she's stunned again but straying away and going back refreshes and repeats itself. Exploiting it would use a bunnyman because it doesn't have a kiting behavior, has an increased damage and has hostility towards monsters and giants. Using 12 bunnymen will give out in in every second, a damage out of 480. Multiplying it by 5 seconds will successfully give 2400, more than enough to knock it down. 

Another thing involve is dragonfly's attack priority. Dragonfly's #1 hitlist will be the player, second will be the mobs itself. This makes up for safety of your homeless bunnymen as you're the meatshield. Unless in cases of situations, but it's ideal situation that you'll  achieve. The walls are to limit the bunnymen's movement and to stop them from wandering and follow the dragonfly during his lavae spawn phase.

Thanks for reading, and the creation and operation manual for D-Grinder will come out. (If I have time)

aspalove.JPG

The dragonfly usually destroys any walls I place near its 'Arena' while I'm not there.

Also I bet it's gonna be extra-painful to gather the Bunnymen and try to keep them inside their pens.

But, yeah I tested it and it works like a charm.

3 hours ago, mathem99 said:

The dragonfly usually destroys any walls I place near its 'Arena' while I'm not there.

Also I bet it's gonna be extra-painful to gather the Bunnymen and try to keep them inside their pens.

But, yeah I tested it and it works like a charm.

Well I'm pretty sure there's an area at the edge of her arena where she wont fly to to attack random things but still wont despawn when brought there.

22 minutes ago, Wexton said:

Where you using bunnymen or beardlords? Because i think that beardlords deal 60 damage instead of 40.

I don't think it works like that in DST, what are they supposed to do when a sane and an insane player are nearby?

15 minutes ago, Michi01 said:

I don't think it works like that in DST, what are they supposed to do when a sane and an insane player are nearby?

Basicly it doent matter how many sane people there are,if there is ONE insane the bunnymen will work like beardlords(i am not a 100%sure of this tho) something i am sure is that if you are close enough to see the beardlord but still a bit far away they'll drop bunnymen drops and do their animations.

Still not rlly sure of what happends when there are sane people as well,i'll probably do some testing about it.

3 hours ago, Wexton said:

Basicly it doent matter how many sane people there are,if there is ONE insane the bunnymen will work like beardlords(i am not a 100%sure of this tho) something i am sure is that if you are close enough to see the beardlord but still a bit far away they'll drop bunnymen drops and do their animations.

Still not rlly sure of what happends when there are sane people as well,i'll probably do some testing about it.

Ok I have done testing the building process. There are two ways to do this.

Method 1) Simply build like the following, feed carrot to 6 bunnyman, then run right into the pen to the end. As soon as all the bunnyman that are following you are in the pen, turn around and seal the exit. If you don't do this quick enough the bunnyman can wonder off the pen.

1.jpg

Method 2)

Step 1, Build as following. Place a carrot at the corner.

2.jpg

Step 2, In the evening, place a rabbit hutch close to that corner. The bunnyman will come out of the house and head straight to the carrot.  Hammer the house and repeat until you have 6 bunnyman stuck at the corner, then close the pen.

3.jpg

4.jpg

Step 3, In the morning the bunnyman will sleep where they are. Use the hammer to break into the pen and remove the extra wall segment.

6.jpg

5 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

I love the idea! But wouldn't it be better if you place 6 bunnymen huts in each pen to make them renawable, in the event that they die?

Well, if you make a big enough pen to house 6 hutches and away from the walls so the lavae can't accidentally burn them, then maybe...

6 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

I love the idea! But wouldn't it be better if you place 6 bunnymen huts in each pen to make them renawable, in the event that they die?

For renewable bunnies you'll need 12 hutches to fill both pens.  That's 48 boards, 120 carrots and 48 puffs.  And then you need to worry about lavae, red hounds, lightning and summer wildfires.

For 12 homeless bunnymen you can hammer the hutches to recover costs.  That's 26 boards, 65 carrots and 26 puffs, and you still get 2 boards, 5 carrots and 2 puffs back in the end.  But then you'll need to worry about lavae, hounds and frog rain. 

Given a choice, I'd go with the second.  The threats can be dealt with by running away at the first warning sign.  Otherwise, you'd need to avoid the dragonfly during summer or build two ice flingos and sneak in to refuel them during the day.

19 hours ago, Michi01 said:

I can answer this. My pal and I were spelunking. He was low on sanity. I had pretty full (Willow after all) and befriended a bunnyman. The furball would keep swapping appearances, usually having badass burnt arms with the rest white. It wouldn't attack my friend. I think it was because of being befriended...

And then I plopped down a crockpot and murdered it to feed my buddy. The end!

Ok here is the finial version.

6.jpg

Building instruction:

Step 1) 

1.jpg

Step 2)

Make sure you build these 6 bunnyman hutch as close to the wall as possible.

In the evening the bunnyman will come out of the house. Push the bunnyman from center to the side then through the gaps. Dont push all bunnyman to the same side thou, they can get stuck at one side and you won't be able to close the pen.

4.jpg

5.jpg

Step 3) repeat step 2 on the other side, as well as adding a bunnyman to the end.

7.jpg

So how does this dragonfly killing thing work?

First, lure the DF into the pen. Then use the lazy explorer and teleport to the position where my wig is standing at. Close the pen with a rock. DF should be traped inside and can't get to the lava pond from there.

If you dont wana kill DF, simple release the single bunnyman at the end of the hallway, and use this trap just like the OP proposed scale farm.

Credit:

1) OP for making the Scale farm, which shows that bunnyman can hit DF from behine wall.

2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH_aGV4AVig Whoever this TW guy is. Although the method showed in this video doesn't work anymore, it demonstrated the idea of blocking DF using the player character.

3) Special thanks to oeshmocoolstuff's speedrun at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtAk9_0gp5o , and Dynvre's pig wall method at http://imgur.com/a/1fgoi , which inspired me to find alternative solution in soloing DF.

2.jpg

6.jpg

On 10/26/2016 at 7:55 PM, Mday said:

Ok here is the finial version.

6.jpg

Building instruction:

Step 1) 

1.jpg

Step 2)

Make sure you build these 6 bunnyman hutch as close to the wall as possible.

In the evening the bunnyman will come out of the house. Push the bunnyman from center to the side then through the gaps. Dont push all bunnyman to the same side thou, they can get stuck at one side and you won't be able to close the pen.

4.jpg

5.jpg

Step 3) repeat step 2 on the other side, as well as adding a bunnyman to the end.

7.jpg

So how does this dragonfly killing thing work?

First, lure the DF into the pen. Then use the lazy explorer and teleport to the position where my wig is standing at. Close the pen with a rock. DF should be traped inside and can't get to the lava pond from there.

If you dont wana kill DF, simple release the single bunnyman at the end of the hallway, and use this trap just like the OP proposed scale farm.

Credit:

1) OP for making the Scale farm, which shows that bunnyman can hit DF from behine wall.

2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH_aGV4AVig Whoever this TW guy is. Although the method showed in this video doesn't work anymore, it demonstrated the idea of blocking DF using the player character.

3) Special thanks to oeshmocoolstuff's speedrun at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtAk9_0gp5o , and Dynvre's pig wall method at http://imgur.com/a/1fgoi , which inspired me to find alternative solution in soloing DF.

2.jpg

6.jpg

Seems you made my work cut out. Along with some improvements to the original scale farm. More building options!!!!

Thank%2Byou%2B2.gif

Um.. upon further testing, I have find several issues with the design above.

1) The building instruction as described above may not work. The issue was that in one of my older world, player character can't "push" the bunnyman and therefore can't put the bunnyman into where they should be.

2) The single bunnyman at the end of the hallway isn't needed. DF will still get traped anyway.

3) Sometime DF's loots can fall into the pen where the bunnys are traped. Hence making it difficult to collect the gems and scales.

1.jpg

2.jpg

And now, how to build it:

Step 1) 

3.jpg4.jpg

Step 2) Build 6 bunnyman hutchs on each side. 

5.jpg

Step 3) complete the remaining wall during day time while the bunnys are at home.  I decided to kill all the bunnys form the left side because they have wondered off the pen while I was building. They will respawn in 1 day.

6.jpg

Step 4)

Standing at point A, attack any bunnyman with ranged weapon, or carry any meat items to aggro the bunnyman. Then run to point B. This will drag all the bunnyman on the right into position. Close the grass wall on the right side to keep the bunnyman within. Repeat the same process to the bunnyman on the left.

7.jpg

8.jpg

To remover the bunnys from the pen, break the grass wall circled in red, and keep the grass door circled in green open. Also remember to remove the carrot bait. Then aggro any bunnyman and drag them away. You can then collect any loot during the day safely.

9.jpg

Archived