The artstyle of the ocean for Shipwrecked

XirmiX

So after seeing a video of someone playing the demo of the Shipwrecked DLC, I was kind of shocked to see that the old art style of the sea was completely scrapped. Though I do see the new one to be more realistic, there is one thing in the game that I value more than realism; the artstyle. Without the proper artstyle, the game just doesn't feel the way it should. Sure, closer to the shore it would make sense if the water is a lot more flat and calm, but still the old waves could be added on top of that with (the old wave design being shrunk for making the sea look calmer) and so keeping the old artstyle for the gloomy feel to the game. Also, I kind of get the impression that there will be a beach biome all around the rest of the biomes. However, I wouldn't advise that. Perhaps for most of the map being outlines with beach terrain, whilst leaving some parts of the rest of the biomes still touching the watery areas, such as some parts of the forest biomes. I'd also suggest if the ocean itself is made up of 2 types of "turfs", one being calm and the other being more violent. The violent ones would have permanently higher waves than the calmer ones and they would be either deeper out into the ocean or right on the shore if it ia not the beach biome that it meets, but rather something like the forest or rocky biome.

Also, I have a question; are there jungles irl where it snows in winter? Because it seems that we'll get a jungle biome and the thought of jungles and winter just doesn't seem to fit...

And I'm hoping that Autumn is going to be the season where there's the most wind, like it would be windy 70% of the time, like it rains 70% during Spring. That way both seasons would be kind of balanced out in difficulty and it would be reasonable to start out in Spring instead if you'd rather deal with the rain than the wind more. Either way, still difficult :p

There's actually two depths of ocean already, so I would love to see the old waves getting used out there. (the same applies to still, non-salty water and "moving" water, according to leaks in the basegame files)

I agree that beach all around every island is a stupid idea. Cliffs should be a thing.

Yes to the seasons (though it requires RoG I suppose). Does winter require an ice-breaker? ;-)

So after seeing a video of someone playing the demo of the Shipwrecked DLC, I was kind of shocked to see that the old art style of the sea was completely scrapped. Though I do see the new one to be more realistic, there is one thing in the game that I value more than realism; the artstyle. Without the proper artstyle, the game just doesn't feel the way it should. Sure, closer to the shore it would make sense if the water is a lot more flat and calm, but still the old waves could be added on top of that with (the old wave design being shrunk for making the sea look calmer) and so keeping the old artstyle for the gloomy feel to the game. Also, I kind of get the impression that there will be a beach biome all around the rest of the biomes. However, I wouldn't advise that. Perhaps for most of the map being outlines with beach terrain, whilst leaving some parts of the rest of the biomes still touching the watery areas, such as some parts of the forest biomes. I'd also suggest if the ocean itself is made up of 2 types of "turfs", one being calm and the other being more violent. The violent ones would have permanently higher waves than the calmer ones and they would be either deeper out into the ocean or right on the shore if it ia not the beach biome that it meets, but rather something like the forest or rocky biome.

Also, I have a question; are there jungles irl where it snows in winter? Because it seems that we'll get a jungle biome and the thought of jungles and winter just doesn't seem to fit...

And I'm hoping that Autumn is going to be the season where there's the most wind, like it would be windy 70% of the time, like it rains 70% during Spring. That way both seasons would be kind of balanced out in difficulty and it would be reasonable to start out in Spring instead if you'd rather deal with the rain than the wind more. Either way, still difficult :razz:

What happened to "I like realism and logic more, caves shouldn't rain and pour"

There's actually two depths of ocean already, so I would love to see the old waves getting used out there. (the same applies to still, non-salty water and "moving" water, according to leaks in the basegame files)

I agree that beach all around every island is a stupid idea. Cliffs should be a thing.

Yes to the seasons (though it requires RoG I suppose). Does winter require an ice-breaker? ;)

The seasons were confirmed by Twinfinite I believe to be added in SW also. Something about loads of rain.

What happened to "I like realism and logic more, caves shouldn't rain and pour"

Rain in caves has nothing to do with art style, so what are you talking about? And I still value the realism a lot for this game, though I see that art style is something that should be prioritised.

Rain in caves has nothing to do with art style, so what are you talking about? And I still value the realism a lot for this game, though I see that art style is something that should be prioritised.

It's a joke... xD And they had to make water turf-level in order to make it a turf and therefore walkable (with the boat being an extension of you) on top of.

I didn't watch too much of the video, just enough to try to get a feel for what you're mentioning here. For those who want to see, this is the one I found.

I've always liked the dark and scratchy look of the DS artwork, and how it has sort of a shadowbox puppetry-feel. I totally agree with you XirmiX. No offense meant to the designers who worked on this, but I feel like the current Shipwrecked art style is a little too... campy? I get that I'm watching a demo version, but it seems too cheery and cartoonish. The ocean contributes to a totally different vibe, I really hope the old waves are brought back in some fashion or at least the art is tweaked and somehow re-purposed. The jungle biome feels a little forced in it's current design also. I can't really put my finger on what it is though... maybe the harsh outlines of the tree leaves? The bright color contrasts? I dunno.

I didn't watch too much of the video, just enough to try to get a feel for what you're mentioning here. For those who want to see, this is the one I found.

I've always liked the dark and scratchy look of the DS artwork, and how it has sort of a shadowbox puppetry-feel. I totally agree with you XirmiX. No offense meant to the designers who worked on this, but I feel like the current Shipwrecked art style is a little too... campy? I get that I'm watching a demo version, but it seems too cheery and cartoonish. The ocean contributes to a totally different vibe, I really hope the old waves are brought back in some fashion or at least the art is tweaked and somehow re-purposed. The jungle biome feels a little forced in it's current design also. I can't really put my finger on what it is though... maybe the harsh outlines of the tree leaves? The bright color contrasts? I dunno.

That video has been posted already, and a longer version too!

[...] but it seems too cheery and cartoonish. 

The jungle biome feels a little forced in it's current design also. I can't really put my finger on what it is though... maybe the harsh outlines of the tree leaves? [...]

I also think that in this demo Don't Starve seems to have lost a bit of its gloomy atmosphere, but maybe this Little Mermaid-ish ocean is because of summer. 

I'm looking forward to see the sea in winter, tremendous waves crashing against cliffs, howling wind, (chasing Moby ****) etc. but maybe the devs have decided otherwise and this lighter atmosphere is the new approach of DS.

Concerning the jungle, I think that maybe the leaves are too "detailled" which really gives a messy visual whenever there's a clump of trees. 

To tell the truth I like the new water it looks more real than water in most of the games I have played . But yea cliffs need to stay in DS and make a special biome (beach/shore) where you can take off on a ship . But for those islands it's good to be able to board a ship wherever you like it's a small island not a big one so no need for cliffs on an island . 

As for the new atmosphere it fits the new tropical themed islands i don't see why not as long as the normal world keeps it's old darker atmosphere .

As for the new atmosphere it fits the new tropical themed islands i don't see why not as long as the normal world keeps it's old darker atmosphere .

I totally agree with you. If there is maybe a beach off of a desert biome that you can put a ship on, the rest of the world keeps the wavy (as in waves) ocean, and the calmer ocean can surround islands.

I agree but I'd also like to see its navigable winter counterpart, it would be nice to sail on the raging sea. 

I totally agree with you. If there is maybe a beach off of a desert biome that you can put a ship on, the rest of the world keeps the wavy (as in waves) ocean, and the calmer ocean can surround islands.

It sounds nice, but how would the demarcation between the calm ocean and the waves be ? I mean if you sail from the calm ocean to the classic waves, would you be able to sail on them too or would they act as a barrier ?

I wonder if the artstyle of the ocean from the demo is the only sea of Shipwrecked or if there will be different kind of seas, with different artstyles (more close to the original one, or not). 

It seems like it might be difficult to implement the wavy waters into the game with what they've been planning. You wouldn't be able to see what's under the water, like the fish seen in the demo.

Yes but I hope they'll also make bigger waves (at least in winter) because the tiny ones in the demo don't really look like a threat.

I really like the new sea design but I hope it won't look the same in winter.

Or at least that the design of the ocean will change depending on the weather. (and that this shimmering sea is just one among others, on a sunny day) 

Yes but I hope they'll also make bigger waves (at least in winter) because the tiny ones in the demo don't really look like a threat.

I really like the new sea design but I hope it won't look the same in winter.

Or at least that the design of the ocean will change depending on the weather. (and that this shimmering sea is just one among others, on a sunny day) 

Don't forget about the wind , more wind = bigger waves add a storm + winter and it will be full death to sail .

It seems like it might be difficult to implement the wavy waters into the game 

The flotsams you can snag on the classic waves right now show that the old sea design is not fully incompatible with Shipwrecked. 

Don't forget about the wind , more wind = bigger waves add a storm + winter and it will be full death to sail .

I hope it will !

It seems like it might be difficult to implement the wavy waters into the game with what they've been planning. You wouldn't be able to see what's under the water, like the fish seen in the demo.

Yoy could, just like you could still see stuff above water in the non-shipwrecked DS version where there was stuff floating on the water. It would make more sense if say by beaches there's calmer sea, but the old design can still be added. I was thinking that may be the "terrain" of the sea could just be blue and on it would be the waves, so that it doesn't seem like it's just waves and in-between them there's nothing.

So basically, for the sake of art style, take away those white bubbly waves which look a lot like the ones for the pond and replace them with the old pcean waves, though with them being smaller to fit the calmness of the said ocean area, whilst for some other places such as further into the ocean or next to biomes that are not beach (rappids I think it is called?) the waves are higher to give the high-tide effect or something. Dang, pretty hard to describe what I'm thinking of...

Been haunting the forums for any news of dlc and in turn reading all recent ones so let me tell you what I concluded. To start off there is no winter in tropical forests. That means no autumn, no spring, no summer. In general tropical forests have dry and wet seasons so 2 new seasons?

Also, based on how demo looked like there would be a clump of islands in a corner of the map or a separate world for them. And I can say with 99% confidence its going to be separate world. There's just too many reasons for it. New weather effects will be probably island exclusive(can't see pine trees shaking left and right) and keeping it in a different world would just make it technically easier. Remember that supposedly cappy does most of the stuff and Klei kinda supervises or so I heard somewhere thus it allows for a safety net - if anything fails(design and mechanic wise) players just don't go into the world or go in only for brief moments while still being able to play new characters. The dlcs ROG and SW need to be compatible with each other and that also means that one dlc shouldn't have what the other dlc has otherwise the game would just crash. All in all new seasons, new biomes in a seprate world thats my prediction

Archived