Don't Starve Together Now With Reign of Giants [updated]

• Developer

Psst! You! Yeah, you! I’ve got a little secret for you. It’s super exciting and we just couldn’t keep it to ourselves any longer: Reign of Giants content gets added to Don’t Starve Together today! Like, right now. Look, I know we said it’d be tomorrow, but it’s ready today, so have at it. We’re still holding off on the big announcement and all that until tomorrow, but we wanted to sneak it out to the folks who are actively playing and checking the forums a little bit early. Here’s the skinny:

With today’s update, we’ve added the vast majority of the content from the Reign of Giants expansion into Don’t Starve Together! A couple things (i.e. the Warg) had already trickled in, but this update adds in basically all of the remaining bits. There are a few things that we’re still working out how to fit into the multiplayer Don’t Starve experience (i.e. Biiigfoot, Moggles), but if you’ve been missing the content from Reign of Giants while playing Don’t Starve Together, you’ll finally be reunited with your friends and foes from the expansion. If you haven’t played Reign of Giants before, you’re in for a real treat. The world of Don’t Starve Together is getting a whole lot, er, giant-er.

So, what’s changing? First, let’s look at the stuff that’s getting added to Don’t Starve Together:

• Wigfrid is a playable character who is a stage actress. She went a bit too deep into method acting for her latest role, an ancient Valkyrie. She only eats meat and excels in battle.

• Webber is a playable character who is a young boy. Specifically, he’s a young boy who lives inside of the spider who tried to eat him long ago. He’s a monster who has learned some tricks from his arachnid encasement.

• Spring is a new season that brings heavy rains. With the rain comes more active flora and more aggressive fauna.

• Summer is a new season that brings a blistering heat wave. Plants will shrivel and you will too if you don’t keep cool. Oh, and the season previously known as Summer will be henceforth known as Autumn.

• Two new biomes: the Desert and the Deciduous Forest. Both are filled with new creatures, plants and gatherables. As with most things in Don’t Starve Together, they’ll help you survive. Or maybe kill you.

• Giants for every season! Deerclops isn’t the only big bad lurking out there, now.

There are also a few relatively large mechanical changes to the game that are getting introduced in today’s update:

• Rabbits and other small creatures that can go in your inventory need food too! You can feed them to keep them alive, but if you lock a rabbit in a box and leave it there for days, it’ll starve and turn into meat. And then rot. Yuck.

• Food left on crockpots and on drying racks will start spoiling before you collect it. They would previously last forever until harvested.

• If you don’t have any gear that protects you from the rain (there’s some new things for that!), the rain will make your character wet. If they get wet enough, they’ll start cooling down and losing sanity. Previously, the rain would directly make you lose sanity.

• Structures with wood in them can burn. You can hammer down the burnt husk to get some resources back.

For anyone that is already familiar with Reign of Giants, there are a few changes we’ve made as we adapted it for Don’t Starve Together:

• Fire propagation has been reworked. It’s still a menace, but it spreads more slowly, so you’ll have some chance to fight fires. There’s even water balloons to help with this! (More details here).

• The Ice Flingomatic has an emergency mode instead of being turned completely off. If it detects a few things burning down in quick succession, it’ll activate and try to save what it can.

• Giants are generally more present in the world, rather than jerks who come down from the proverbial hills to harass one unlucky player per season.

• The color of a Thermal Stone is now based on its temperature relative to the ambient temperature of the world, rather than having fixed temperatures at which its visuals change. It should also be a bit more effective at heating and cooling.

Oh, and one last thing: you should be able to continue playing your existing saves. They will get the mechanical changes above, but to get at the the new content, you’ll have to start a new world. If you want to continue playing games that are more similar to the vanilla Don't Starve Together experience, there's a world gen preset for that (but, again, the mechanical changes are there to stay).

That about covers it. If (well, let’s be real: when) you find any bugs, please post a report in the bug subforum. Suggestions and feedback are always encouraged, too (in that subforum)! Lastly, a huge thanks to everyone who opted into the beta branch to help us test the Reign of Giants content before rolling it out to everyone else!

EDIT: I made another post later in the thread explaining better how Reign of Giants and Don't Starve Together fit together and the nature of the bug fixes and new content that we added in this update. Here it is: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/52989-dont-starve-together-now-with-reign-of-giants-updated/page-5#entry631033

Psst! You! Yeah, you! I’ve got a little secret for you. It’s super exciting and we just couldn’t keep it to ourselves any longer: Reign of Giants content gets added to Don’t Starve Together today! Like, right now. Look, I know we-

THIS IS ALL I READ AND MY BODY IS READY.

*Smash the play button*

This is a nice surprise. Might have to get back to this tonight.

Giants are generally more present in the world, rather than jerks who come down from the proverbial hills to harass one unlucky player per season.
 Have any adjustments been made based on the Deerclops feedback? 

[00:04:42]: [string "scripts/prefabs/rabbit.lua"]:206: attempt to call method 'SetDiet' (a nil value)LUA ERROR stack traceback:scripts/prefabs/rabbit.lua:206 in (field) fn (Lua) <160-300>   inst = 113675 -  (valid:true)scripts/mainfunctions.lua:148 in () ? (Lua) <137-168>   name = rabbit   prefab = Prefab rabbit - =[C]:-1 in (method) SpawnPrefab (C) <-1--1>scripts/mainfunctions.lua:182 in (global) SpawnPrefab (Lua) <179-184>   name = rabbitscripts/components/spawner.lua:200 in (method) ReleaseChild (Lua) <185-242>   self =      onvacate = function - scripts/prefabs/rabbithole.lua:33      onoccupied = function - scripts/prefabs/rabbithole.lua:39      spawnoffscreen = false      childfn = function - scripts/prefabs/rabbithole.lua:51      nextspawntime = 9.9000005163252      inst = 102315 - rabbithole (valid:true)      delay = 1200      childname = rabbit   childname = rabbitscripts/components/spawner.lua:12 in (field) fn (Lua) <7-15>   inst = 102315 - rabbithole (valid:true)   self =      onvacate = function - scripts/prefabs/rabbithole.lua:33      onoccupied = function - scripts/prefabs/rabbithole.lua:39      spawnoffscreen = false      childfn = function - scripts/prefabs/rabbithole.lua:51      nextspawntime = 9.9000005163252      inst = 102315 - rabbithole (valid:true)      delay = 1200      childname = rabbitscripts/scheduler.lua:187 in (method) OnTick (Lua) <161-217>   self =      running = table: 0B7E2418      waitingfortick = table: 0B7E23C8      tasks = table: 0B7DEDE0      waking = table: 09DD0C18      attime = table: 0B7E46A0      hibernating = table: 0B7DE7A0   tick = 298   k = PERIODIC 102315: 0.000000   v = true   already_dead = falsescripts/scheduler.lua:398 in (global) RunScheduler (Lua) <396-404>   tick = 298scripts/update.lua:162 in () ? (Lua) <146-219>   dt = 0.033333335071802   tick = 298   i = 298[00:04:42]: SCRIPT ERROR! Showing error screen	

Having a lot of crashes because of SetDiet, tried disabling mods but it still crashes.

EDIT: Mostly happens on world generation, also with pigmen.

• Developer

This is a nice surprise. Might have to get back to this tonight.

Have any adjustments been made based on the Deerclops feedback? 

Yep! We've got a hotfix that will hopefully come out tonight (if not, then tomorrow morning) that will include a few more fixes to Deerclops.

• Developer

Having a lot of crashes because of SetDiet, tried disabling mods but it still crashes.

EDIT: Mostly happens on world generation, also with pigmen.

We're not able to reproduce this crash. Can you try verifying your game cache? To do so, right click on the game in your Steam library, click "Properties", then go to the "Local Files" tab and click on the "Verify Integrity of Game Cache" button. Let us know if you're still having trouble after doing this.

We're not able to reproduce this crash. Can you try verifying your game cache? To do so, right click on the game in your Steam library, click "Properties", then go to the "Local Files" tab and click on the "Verify Integrity of Game Cache" button. Let us know if you're still having trouble after doing this.

I am running the dedicated version of Don't Starve Together and I am having this in my server log, not locally. Everything on my end is fine but whenever I try to join my server it crashes either without error log or with the error 'SetDiet'.

It's strange to have the giants in the background ... it's kind of a spoiler for new players. But hey, it looks great so ...

However, I think it would be better to don't have this background on the world's generation screen because it hides the hands.

Anyway, good work guys, AS ALWAYS  :joyous:

I can't wait to see how this is all gonna end !

• Developer

I am running the dedicated version of Don't Starve Together and I am having this in my server log, not locally. Everything on my end is fine but whenever I try to join my server it crashes either without error log or with the error 'SetDiet'.

Ah, good to know. Thanks for the clarification! It seems like there are a few issues with the dedicated server rollout. Is your dedicated server a linux machine? That's where we're seeing the most issues currently.

Ah, good to know. Thanks for the clarification! It seems like there are a few issues with the dedicated server rollout. Is your dedicated server a linux machine? That's where we're seeing the most issues currently.

No, I am running my Server on OS: Windows Server 2008 R2. The most common error happening right now contains the following:

[00:00:59]: New incoming connection 213.134.239.23|50532[00:00:59]: ValidateGameSessionToken token: 8BbHrGmZqjUlwtcW7CRkw5+iIu17JH+t for: 662029533446294413[00:00:59]: [string "scripts/prefabs/pigman.lua"]:489: attempt to call method 'SetDiet' (a nil value)LUA ERROR stack traceback:scripts/prefabs/pigman.lua:489 in (upvalue) common (Lua) <442-567>   inst = 110765 -  (valid:true)scripts/prefabs/pigman.lua:570 in (field) fn (Lua) <569-580>scripts/mainfunctions.lua:148 in () ? (Lua) <137-168>   name = pigman   prefab = Prefab pigman - =[C]:-1 in (method) SpawnPrefab (C) <-1--1>scripts/mainfunctions.lua:182 in (global) SpawnPrefab (Lua) <179-184>   name = pigmanscripts/components/spawner.lua:200 in (method) ReleaseChild (Lua) <185-242>   self =      nextspawntime = 9.933333851397      inst = 106221 - pighouse (valid:true)      onvacate = function - scripts/prefabs/pighouse.lua:98      onoccupied = function - scripts/prefabs/pighouse.lua:81      spawnoffscreen = false      delay = 1920      childname = pigman   childname = pigmanscripts/components/spawner.lua:12 in (field) fn (Lua) <7-15>   inst = 106221 - pighouse (valid:true)   self =      nextspawntime = 9.933333851397      inst = 106221 - pighouse (valid:true)      onvacate = function - scripts/prefabs/pighouse.lua:98      onoccupied = function - scripts/prefabs/pighouse.lua:81      spawnoffscreen = false      delay = 1920      childname = pigmanscripts/scheduler.lua:187 in (method) OnTick (Lua) <161-217>   self =      running = table: 058FB9C0      waitingfortick = table: 058FB998      tasks = table: 058FB970      waking = table: 05571930      attime = table: 058FBA38      hibernating = table: 058FBA10   tick = 299   k = PERIODIC 106221: 0.000000   v = true   already_dead = falsescripts/scheduler.lua:398 in (global) RunScheduler (Lua) <396-404>   tick = 299scripts/update.lua:162 in () ? (Lua) <146-219>   dt = 0.033333335071802   tick = 299   i = 299[00:00:59]: SCRIPT ERROR! Showing error screen	

Awesome!

FINALLY NO MORE BRANCH SWITCHING!

Modders rejoice.

However, I think it would be better to don't have this background on the world's generation screen because it hides the hands.

If use your imagination, the hands actually look like they come from the deerclops. :-)

Thanks but we've just encountered a problem on my server!

While making foods in the crockpot, the food would either go to spoiled to rot or rot completely.

This was a complete vanilla server (Aka no mods)

If use your imagination, the hands actually look like they come from the deerclops. :-)

Yeah I thought about it too ! It was funny.

Maybe I just need time to get used to it. It's not like if I see this screen every time anyway  :cool2:

My friend and I encountered a bug mentioned already here - crockpots are bugged. All food made turns into rot or very nearly rot. This is detrimental for me since i play Wigfrid! :-)

I feel like it's the least detrimental for Wigfrid out of everyone.

My Wigfrid slaughters entire herds of animals and has more cooked meats than she can eat more often than not.  <.<

But, please fix this bug!  It's hard to tell my fiance to get in the kitchen and make me a froggle bunnich if it's just going to insta- rot.  : c

Archived