I'm making everyone a pvp god with this single post. [Friendly Version]

No flame posts please.

If you've ever wondered how some pvp-ers can hit you but you can't seem to hit them, I've posted a fix below.

Download auto-hotkey and use this handy script i wrote:

~LCtrl & f::
  While GetKeyState("f","P")
  {
    Send {f down}
    Send {f up}
  }
Return

If you get a message about you using macros too fast read this post:

www.autohotkey.com/board/topic/62512-permanently-turn-off-that-annoying-hotkey-limit/

When you join a game press ~ and type "ThePlayer:EnableMovementPrediction(false)"

If you run my above script and turn prediction off you are now pretty much a pvp god.

Enjoy

EDIT: You'll need to just hold Ctrl+F down.  They will be forced to run from you.  If you get a lag spike and they start hitting you just move a little so you are out of range and hold Ctrl + F down again.  Most of the time you will just out-hit them though.

Description:

Prediction makes your movement appear fluid to you on your screen despite having a lot of lag on the server.  By turning prediction off you will notice your movement is a little delayed.  This is where your character ACTUALLY is on the server you are on.  By turning prediction off you get a few features that were not available to you with prediction on.  One is that you can spam attacks using Ctrl+F by holding ctrl and pressing f as fast as you can.  This script basically presses f repeatedly for you so that you can just hold ctrl+f and focus on moving and timing your hits.

There is currently a debate as to whether or not prediction enabled takes more player skill than prediction disabled, but in the end this post is just to level the playing field since prediction disabled makes pvp easier.

I hope you enjoy this macro and that it helps you in your pvp adventures.

did you really just create the exact same thread because your old one was closed? I'm not sure this is how forums work.

Nope.  Please no flame posts. Thank you.

EDIT: They are quite different in their tone.  Please read them and you will see.

This thread is more for discussing additions to my macro to make it better and a friendly discussion on the pluses and minuses of the prediction system as it relates to PVP in this game.

EDIT: They are quite different in their tone.  Please read them and you will see.   This thread is more for discussing additions to my macro to make it better and a friendly discussion on the pluses and minuses of the prediction system as it relates to PVP in this game.
 well, that's okay then, I guess.

To not make my post devoid of content, I'll just add my opinion on this prediction thing: It makes not difference for me, as my entire PvP strategy revolves around either getting NPCs to do the fighting, or luring the other player away from their base and setting it on fire. Killing by ruin is more fun than by sword.

You seriously created the same thread you did before. The only thing you added is that you didn't want a flame war. I'm not being mean here, I just feel it's a bit spammy.

EDIT: They are quite different in their tone.  Please read them and you will see the differences.

This thread is more for discussing additions to my macro to make it better and a friendly discussion on the pluses and minuses of the prediction system as it relates to PVP in this game.

well, that's okay then, I guess.

To not make my post devoid of content, I'll just add my opinion on this prediction thing: It makes not difference for me, as my entire PvP strategy revolves around either getting NPCs to do the fighting, or luring the other player away from their base and setting it on fire. Killing by ruin is more fun than by sword.

Haha :)  That's a good tactic.  The only thing bad with the pig army that I noticed is that someone can lead them into spiders or bees.

And yea you're right.  If you destroy someone's base in winter then they are usually screwed if they dont have a backup base.

I may be the most boring person to PvP with now. I'm not the best at melee PvP, and maybe this is why. I'll give it a shot. Right now I exclusively rush a couple fire staffs so I don't have to worry early-game.

Try it and let me know how it goes :)  I have a feeling if you just move out of the way when they are hitting you and Ctrl + F again you will do decent against most people.

Why? Why do you want to get people to use a cheaty script? Even with prediction off combat does require alot of skill and quick switching, you can watch Flare's view of the arena fights for that. It's not just a spamfest like you kept pointing out in the old thread. Instead of trying to get a feature removed by attempting to break it and force the devs to get rid of it (which I assume is your goal) you should make a thread with solid arguments on why it shouldn't be in the game. 

Tried making this post as friendly as possible. Here, have a happy face :D

That thread twist is as roguish as the macro (roguish is a kind word in my native language, hope it's the same in english).

The only thing bad with the pig army that I noticed is that someone can lead them into spiders or bees.
or can't you just poach ennemy's pigs by feeding them ?

This reminds me of the instance in Team Fortress 2 wherein users were using the Developer's Console to create a looping bind to repeatedly issue +/- attack to generate quicker pistol shots.

Valve later then made just holding the +attack button do the same as if you had the script so the script became moot.

Perhaps Klei will make the 'mashing' part default in the logic, or add in some internal cooldown to make it so that you cannot mash-to-win?

In the meantime I'll look into client input from the modding API and see if I can't whip up something to do it using the mod interface rather than an external program.

Edit1:

The mod is done and seems to work out for the most part.

Since I am not big into PvP, I have no idea if this is functioning as this post is proclaiming.

Perhaps Klei will make the 'mashing' part default in the logic, or add in some internal cooldown to make it so that you cannot mash-to-win?
 I believe that was the intent, although in the other direction (making F-spamming behave the same as holding F down, rather than the reverse), in one of the recent patches. This appeared to be mostly the case, but this macro proves that there's still work to be done there.

I generally don't like posting download links for people to use.  They are very popular and can be found with a quick google search.  Good luck!

Don't forget to quote the posts you respond too.

... I still can't find a download link, Google turns up nothing. Help?

please, don't post things like this first off, previous thread, you broke a the rule "advertisement"

you also did a few of the following

1. hack, reverse engineer, disable, disrupt or interfere with the functioning of the Game, or modify the Game 

breaking the terms of service  as you DISABLED a part of the intended game, nuisance or not, you also reverse engineered the game i  a sense, again  weather it be a nuisance or not, you have not been permitted to do these things, you flare2v have asked (and suppsoedly done) for things of which you should not, and you truealphaomega  have done (and provided ways for others to replicate)

things that yuo and others should not do. please refrain from breaking the terms of service in the future

for future refrence

http://www.dontstarvegame.com/blog/terms-of-service/ 

please, don't post things like this first off, previous thread, you broke a the rule "advertisement"

you also did a few of the following

1. hack, reverse engineer, disable, disrupt or interfere with the functioning of the Game, or modify the Game 

breaking the terms of service  as you DISABLED a part of the intended game, nuisance or not, you also reverse engineered the game i  a sense, again  weather it be a nuisance or not, you have not been permitted to do these things, you flare2v have asked (and suppsoedly done) for things of which you should not, and you truealphaomega  have done (and provided ways for others to replic2222ate)222

things that yuo and others should not do. please refrain from breaking the terms of service in the future

for future refrence

http://www.dontstarvegame.com/blog/terms-of-service/ 

The Mods already said we can discuss this topic and JoeW said (if you scroll up a bit) if you don't have anything to add relating to the OP...

move on.

Disabling Movement Prediction in my opinion just takes out alot of the luck from the game (some would say lag is luck due to spiking) The amount of times disabling this has saved my life is astounding. Not only in PvP but in casual survival. Its just a laggy single player style of control. Also wouldn't holding CTRL F do the exact same thing as mashing CTRL F as long as you renew it every once and a while. By mashing you are just re-starting an action anyway. Not to mention wouldn't having CTRL F constantly being toggled screw yourself over at times? Walk past something you don't want to hit? Opps just hit it anyway. Or when aiming for a target (target A) and suddenly Target B walks in front and you are now following Taget B? Wouldn't it do more harm then good? Combat isn't always tanking. Even on a laggy server there is still 'kiting' better known as hit and run.

Well, my haters are probably going to rejoice with this news but I'm leaving don't starve for a while (until the pvp stuff changes at least).  I've posted the video below to show that pvp is just not challenging with the ctrl+f spam.  Hopefully this will act as an argument for removing it from the game.

For now, I'll be blowing stuff up in Star Citizen.  Good luck guys and remember.... don't starve.

"Don't bank sit in tram... don't show off your glacial staff and dyes... be brave and venture into Fel... roam buc's den... put that poison or explosive chest in the road and wait... gate from the city into a locked-down box trap in your house... blade spirits and energy vortex the crap out of that balcony... above all... PVP!"

PS: Hally + Deadly Poisoned Katana (both of vanquishing of course) FTW  (or HeavyX if you liked insta-hits)

RIP UO - 1997-1998

Archived