Playing with RoG activated if you're new to the game

So, I bought Don't Starve when it was pretty new on Steam, but haven't been able to play it much so far. I was keeping myself from playing it lately in anticipation of Don't Starve Together, but I really can't keep from it much longer :)

I already bought Reign of Giants, but after reading a bit about considerably higher difficulty, I was asking myself if I should first try it with RoG deactivated. I don't mind a challenge, so I am intrigued to go all-in. Is RoG doable for someone who doesn't have much experience with the vanilla game without getting too frustrated? Or is some more vanilla DS advised?

Happy to hear some opinions!

So, I bought Don't Starve when it was pretty new on Steam, but haven't been able to play it much so far. I was keeping myself from playing it lately in anticipation of Don't Starve Together, but I really can't keep from it much longer :-)

I already bought Reign of Giants, but after reading a bit about considerably higher difficulty, I was asking myself if I should first try it with RoG deactivated. I don't mind a challenge, so I am intrigued to go all-in. Is RoG doable for someone who doesn't have much experience with the vanilla game without getting too frustrated? Or is some more vanilla DS advised?

Enjoy the difficulty, dude. Part of the fun is the trial and error nature of the game, and discovering new things. RoG has a lot to discover.

DS itself is hair-pullingly hard to begin with. Learning the style of survival is tough.

But all this written, if you are willing to invest in the learning the game's basics, you'd come out ahead from somebody who would have to learn it "twice."

I'd recommend trying it both ways (first regular then RoG) and see how you feel about it. 

So, I bought Don't Starve when it was pretty new on Steam, but haven't been able to play it much so far. I was keeping myself from playing it lately in anticipation of Don't Starve Together, but I really can't keep from it much longer :-)

As they say: Begin with the basics. 

And an important note: 

"You never succeed at Don't Starve. You just do a teeny bit better every time you die." -Some dude, a long time ago

Some folks have begun their experience with Don't Starve with RoG... and they've been frustrated, elated, rage-quit, and sometimes even conquered their worlds. Meanwhile, other folks have begun their experience with DS with vanilla (some even as early as alpha!). They've been frustrated, elated, rage-quit, and conquered their worlds.

The DLC expands upon the regular "vanilla" game by adding additional content, characters, monsters, etc. But the regular game and the DLC are different. Instead of acting as a "skin", it's more like "Don't Starve 2". It takes the game you're familiar and comfortable with, and quite literally multiplies it, while also tweaking the gameplay and style while adding new content.

Instead of 2 seasons, you have 4. Instead of 1 boss, you have 4. Characters have been tweaked, so their benefits/disadvantages are different. There are new landscapes, new creatures, new monsters, and new craftables. All the while, the devs have tried to keep true to their vision of an "uncompromising survival game". Both versions are difficult within their own right, and challenge gamers by not offering hints and clues to being top dog.

I personally recommend playing the regular vanilla game first. I thoroughly enjoyed myself then, and still do now, even with the opportunity to play the more difficult DLC version. I think it's worthwhile to learn how to play the game at its basics, its core, before diving into the most difficult experience... but I also happen to enjoy games in their original form, and gradually progress myself into the harder levels. Others will recommend the opposite, dive right into the DLC and nevermind the original gameplay. YMMV.  

It really depends on how you feel about the advancements and progression of gaming. Do you like to jump into the "extreme" levels right off the bat, without ever playing "casual" and "default"? Then begin with the DLC and don't look back. Do you prefer to work your way up, learn as you go and advance through multiple challenges until you finally "earn the right" to hard mode? Then start with the basic vanilla game, and activate the DLC when you feel like you've mastered the original.

RoG has richer content but a Spring-start is probably too difficult for a new player. If you are unlucky, you will have to rebuild your base every season after a giant rampage, which is totally not fun at all.

I suggest you to customise your world, remove/reduce giants and the summer fire hazard.

RoG has richer content but a Spring-start is probably too difficult for a new player. If you are unlucky, you will have to rebuild your base every season after a giant rampage, which is totally not fun at all.

I suggest you to customise your world, remove/reduce giants and the summer fire hazard.

In other words, virtually uncheck the Reign of Giants checkbox.

Look, imsomony in his reply wrote it best about what to do whether to play with it or not.

Or as i noted, try it one way, and try it another way to see for yourself.

No matter how you played it, if it happens it's too hard, before having to cripple your game, ask if this is normal for new players and we'll guide if you're doing something counter productive or need to tone it down to start in settings. 

Start with RoG, but set the starting season to Fall.  :p    That way you get the ordinary vanilla experience of fall and winter before the 2 new seasons hit. Plus once you're able to survive past winter then you'll be ready for the other 2 seasons. 

Otherwise if you start in Spring you'll have to deal with constant sanity drain from Spring rain and the hardest season Summer right after.

First of all, thank you for your opinions and suggestions! Altough I am still a bit on the fence about RoG right now :)

I started a new game with RoG ticked yesterday, and, based on constant rain, I guess I started in Spring then :) I was already wondering in which season I'm in... Heavy rain coulda been autumn also i thought, so I didn't know what to expect. (I am not reading any wikis for this game like I do with nearly every game I dive deep into; after all that I read I guess that's the best way to not starve). Well, it was already something new running around with a strange little umbrella made of petals, and a headdress made of petals also, just to keep my sanity. I'm pretty sure that's exactly the way to LOSE sanity, long-term at least :D

For now, I'll try around in RoG and get the "complete" experience - but I guess I'll follow Renz004's suggestion and start in Autumn. It was interesting to hear that Summer is the hardest Season so far - I was expecting long days, short nights and an abundance of crops and stuff :D Well, i guess I stand corrected  :livid:

If it gets too hard, I'll try a bit of vanilla. I don't wanna ruin the game by playing it too much, anyway, before Don't Starve Together hits. I think it'll be even better if there are a few things in the game neither me or my fellas know about.

Hehe Summer is the hardest because of the heat. Crops and plants wither, among other things that you can find out for yourself :p

The things that will kill you in Fall and Winter are the same things that would be killing you in Vanilla, so it's kind of pointless to backtrack. Assuming you start in Fall, the biggest differences between the two versions that matter in terms of difficulty is:
1) food in vanilla does not spoil until it is harvested. in RoG it is more realistic as food is always spoiling regardless if it has been harvested or not.
2) There is the possibility of a giant  every season in RoG, in vanilla every other season has the possibility of a giant. 

Whenever you can consistently make it to Spring in RoG from Fall, you might as well consider yourself as having conquered the Vanilla experience. 

The things that will kill you in Fall and Winter are the same things that would be killing you in Vanilla, so it's kind of pointless to backtrack.

Don't forget about the Bearger, that's one thing that can kill you in RoG's Fall but not in vanilla's summer.

Yeah. I will simply say that "Autumn" in RoG is what the old vanilla "Summer" used to be.

It is the only season that doe not have "extreme climates." As you've noticed, Spring likes to rain on you...a lot. And the bees (and Beefalos allegedly, but since a few days ago not so) are permanently aggressive until the season ends. 

Oh, and as noted Crock Pots/Drying Racks food rots when done preparing (but not farm crops,) but not in vanilia. 

And going RL insane while trying to prevent your character from doing so also is an expected DS tradition :D

Yes, once per season.  And the firefly does the added bonus of burning down your bushes, grass, trees, etc.

I have just lost my base to giants 2 times, after that you can learn how to take they aggro and run away from your base whatever happens.

@topic

Like were said, start you game at autumn, it's very hard to start on spring, and beside being almost "crushed" by the rains, you will have problems with the summer, when the things start to burn at random, and the worse giant running to burn down everything if you don't deal with him, so I would start with autumn, and with RoG, it's hard but is not that hard, i've started the game months ago, and i didn't even know about the RoG thing, but with the help from the ppl from the forum, i did it ok, and i'm at day 355 now.

Archived