PvP in PvE for Don't Starve Together announced as OPTIONAL

Don't Starve Multiplayer  

347 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be a SEPARATE PvP mode?

• Yes there should be a SEPARATE mode for PvP only
    • No there should be an OPTION to allow PvP in PvE
    • There should NEVER be PvP
    • PvP is turned on in PvE ONLY When holding a bind key
    • PvP is ALWAYS on

I honestly wonder what JoeW meant by PvP/Co-op? Is JoeW saying that the option will be there to allow team killing/friendly fire in PvE or is he saying PvP will be a separate optional mode where we can choose to play it (optional part) and sort of have a frenzied Free For All.

There's no point in having a separate pvp mode. To me, he clearly just meant, one allows you to hit people, one doesn't.

I have a strong feeling this may be the case. If so I'm happy with that.

That is the case.

Please VOTE and explain why this would be a good or bad idea.

My question is should Don't Starve have PvP as a separate mode to the normal co-op (PvE) mode. Would you like Don't Starve Multiplayer to focus on Co-op only and have the option to turn team killing/friendly fire/damaging other players on or off before the game starts for all players involved. Or should Don't Starve Multiplayer never have PvP.

Personally I think Don't Starve Multiplayer should be solely Co-op (PvE), sticking true to the tense survival nature and allow players to help each other and experience everything Don't Starve as a single player only game gave us, together. So I'll be hoping for a single multiplayer mode focusing heavily on team work with the option to betray anyone when you want.

I can see the possibility of having PvP in the form of team killing/causing damage to the team. But that should only be an option the host can choose to turn on or off BEFORE embarking into the world of Don’t Starve with others. Therefore giving us, the players, to choose how we play the game, rather than have a mode that forces us to fight each other. So overall you have one well rounded mode that allows you to choose what ever you want to do, instead of being forced to play PvP or PvE.

Edit: One option I particularly like is the one suggested by @Flare2V

This brings out the last idea, and the best solution to this horrible debate that has plagued the "Together" section of the Don't Starve forums for far too long. Pvp permanently enabled. "Hold your gosh darn horses", I hear you cry. "What if my friends decide to hurt me?". Simplest answer, find yourself some better damn friends. In the case Klei adds some bootleg-ass worldwide matchmaking feature to the game and you meet a random and aggresive person, you'd be boned anyway as made evident in the previous paragraph. Pvp or no pvp, you probably wouldn't live too well if the other person didn't want you to. However, having it always enabled at least lets you fight back, or in the case you team up with a friend of yours, to not fight at all. Now, let's say you want to fight. With pvp always enabled, that wouldn't be a problem. You could mod yourself a custom arena map, or just plain out have at it. There'd be no restrictions against it.

The last solution is the best solution to this problem.

As of now we choose to play Don't Starve how we want. We aren't forced to do something just because it is there. I strongly believe Don't Starve should carry that concept into Multiplayer by having a PvP system integrated into the PvE mode of Don't Starve where we can either choose to help our friends or betray them and try to survive on your own by choosing to make it harder for others.

To Summarise

OPTION 1: Vote yes if you think there should be basically two modes. A co-op mode and a PvP mode. So you're basically forced to fight each other with no options.

OPTION 2: Vote no if you think there should only be a co-op mode with PvP integrated into co-op, having an option to turn it on or off. So basically you have the option to work together or kill each other in one mode only.

OPTION 3 (added on request): Vote for not having a PvP mode separately or optionally in PvE if you don't want any form of team killing/friendly fire/damaging other players in any way, shape or form. Just PvE and that's it.

OPTION 4 (added on request): Vote for having PvP always turned on with a bind key that activates PvP while being held down, which allows us to then attack other players by clicking/pressing attack (while the key is held). For example hold Ctrl+Spacebar (attack key for me) to target a player. This will avoid accidentally targeting and attacking a friend while you both fight the same monster or chop trees, mine rocks etc...

OPTION 5 (added on request): Vote for having PvP always on in PvE. No options, no toggle, no bind/keys.

PvP threads discussing things we haven't yet discussed here

× By Khrayfish

If they're going to add it: Yes. There NEED to be an option for this, because otherwise I'll probably not play it as much.

Otherwise: No. I don't like the idea of bringing PvP to Don't Starve. Killing the characters with other characters just seems very strange to me. Wilson killing Wendy. What? I don't like it at all. I want Co-op to be on focus here!

An optional feature yes, but mainly I am interested in pve!

Dont Starve Together is called together because you need to work together otherwise it would be called Dont Starve Kill the Others/No Need for Friends/Slay everyone... And similar

If they're going to add it: Yes. There NEED to be an option for this, because otherwise I'll probably not play it as much.

Otherwise: No. I don't like the idea of bringing PvP to Don't Starve. Killing the characters with other characters just seems very strange to me. Wilson killing Wendy. What? I don't like it at all. I want Co-op to be on focus here!

Well, I am imagining it in a different way. If you all spawn on small islands with limited resources, you may need to get it from anotehr player. If it's balanced enough, you may have to fight or trap other players to get their stuff so you can survive. 

I see what you mean with the characters not seeming like they'd kill eachother,  but I feel like attacking other players should be possible, same as with befriended pigmen. 

@Tjally please don't forget to vote.

I voted before I commented. 

@Tjally but then you voted for the wrong thing? You want an option to turn it on and off right?

Vote yes if you think there should be basically two modes. A co-op mode and a PvP mode. So you're basically forced to fight each other with no options.

Vote no if you think there should only be a co-op mode with PvP integrated into co-op, having an option to turn it on or off. So basically you have the option to work together or kill each other in one mode only.

@Brainman27 no, what I am saying is if we had a PvP mode that would involve winning the game by killing other players. What's the point of killing everyone and trying to survive on your own. Might as well play Single Player.

I am asking whether you guys like this idea or do you want a Don't Starve Multiplayer experience focusing on team work where we can choose to take sides or not.

Don't starve has a very sandbox feel. As a part of that, I think it should be the player's choice as to whether or not they can attack the other person. Make sure you have good friends, or they just might turn on you for the meat.

@Tjally but then you voted for the wrong thing? You want an option to turn it on and off right?

Vote yes if you think there should be basically two modes. A co-op mode and a PvP mode. So you're basically forced to fight each other with no options.

Vote no if you think there should only be a co-op mode with PvP integrated into co-op, having an option to turn it on or off. So basically you have the option to work together or kill each other in one mode only.

Oh ,well in that case I didn't understand the question correctly, sorry! 

Let's face it, you will have options to kill your comrades even in PvE anyway, by unleashing killer bees onto them, burning the ground under them et cetera. So having a seperate PvP mode seems kind of pointless.

^ This ^

Exactly how Don't Starve Multiplayer can and should be played.

Don't Starve Together should be about surviving..."Together", not killing each other. I can't see how combat between people is going to play out anyway. I really don't want this to turn into Hunger Games. So my choice is no.

If they were to implement PvP the only way I could see it be interesting would involve setting up traps and trying to outwit your opponent ... but I could just see that as a thing you could do in PvE anyway.  So probably no.  Definitely would not want a kiting slugfest mode.

Edited the poll questions to differentiate between a separate mode for PvP and a more overall mode that integrates both with an option (how I feel it should be).

The meaning of the questions remains the same just easier to help you make a decision.

Also if anyone hasn't voted please do.

Please clarify.

Well... your options are:

1- "Yes there should be a separate mode for PvP only" Which I don´t really agree with, I think Don´t Starve should hold a challenge and if there is no PvP, the game would be quite easy.

2-  "No there should be an option to allow PvP in PvE" Why option? Either it´s PvP or not. Where is the, I want multi-player to be PvP choice? 

Well... your options are:

1- "Yes there should be a separate mode for PvP only" Which I don´t really agree with, I think Don´t Starve should hold a challenge and if there is no PvP, the game would be quite easy.

2-  "No there should be an option to allow PvP in PvE" Why option? Either it´s PvP or not. Where is the, I want multi-player to be PvP choice?

Don't Starve is going to have a mode where Co-op/PvE/team work, is key to survival. This is guaranteed. So we don't need to discuss that.

What I am saying is WITH that, should there be a separate PvP mode where you focus on killing or working against a player or should everything (PvP + PvE) be rolled into one mode to make a "Don't Starve Multiplayer" experience were we choose to play how we want, rather than be forced to work as a team or fight each other in separate modes.

If they were to implement PvP the only way I could see it be interesting would involve setting up traps and trying to outwit your opponent ... but I could just see that as a thing you could do in PvE anyway.  So probably no.  Definitely would not want a kiting slugfest mode.

That kinda has to happen: All characters have the same speed by default, so trying to chase down your opponent would be rather futile.

Ambushes would have to happen, which will no doubt make owning a Bush Hat the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I voted the latter option, because as a survival game Don't Starve should have the option to kill other people if it helps you stay alive.

Didn't Hunger Games kinda have alliances too? At least the book was like that.

Archived