I prefer old birdcage

I built my birdcage with 10 seeds. I put a raven inside and it dies the next day. It doesn't make sense. Where's my 10 seeds?

Now birdcage seem to be more trouble than its worth.

The old birdcage was useful, functional, and rewarding. The new one is bs.

1: It only takes 2 seeds to build a bird cage.

2: You still get fresh seeds back after feeding the bird. All you have to do is feed it and gets seeds back 1-2 times a day.

3: You still feed it fruit and get the seeds back. All that's different is that you have to do it more often, or change the bird.

Oh why I remember 10 seeds for it. My memory is playing tricks on me.

Still, die in a day is too quickly. I wanted to feed cooked monster meat to get eggs but it dies before my next cooking time.

They should add some kind of sign that bird need to be fed. My raven seems normal than suddenly gone leaving a morsel in ground.

Well I mean I think that makes the birdcage a bit too difficult to maintain. I haven't built a birdcage yet but how are you going to be able to make long trips from the base if the bird is going to be dead within a day? It does sound like a bit of a hassle but I'm not completely sure yet. Might sound better to just take the bird out of the cage when you plan on traveling and taking it with you so you can feed it..

Maybe you can left a stock of seed for the bird. This way, you can go a little time without having to catch always a new bird.

I think that all this spoilable animals make a little too micromanagement to do. You can't have a little time to do another things... And the animal related craft are a lot more laborious than before. Beebox, prestidihatator, ... The time you catch one of the animal, it start to perish and you have less time to obtain the others...

Maybe you can left a stock of seed for the bird. This way, you can go a little time without having to catch always a new bird.

I think that all this spoilable animals make a little too micromanagement to do. You can't have a little time to do another things... And the animal related craft are a lot more laborious than before. Beebox, prestidihatator, ... The time you catch one of the animal, it start to perish and you have less time to obtain the others...

Only with the strategies you are used to. The point of this addition was to make it less viable to keep chests and chests of animals around (only too much micromanagement if more than one chest, I would presume). You could also pen in rabbits to kill them at your liesure. When I am making a beebox now, I plan to go catch bees and take a hive, instead of before where I would just grab bees "whenever". Still easy, just takes a more focused approach.

No, not really. I was'nt often using rabbit, and even when i had some in chest, i was never using them so... Now i don't have rabbit and it is the same.

So i don't care about the "chest full of rabbit".

But :

- The bird die so fast that i can't go in a trip and find it when i return. It made the birdcage "ponctual use" thing more than "structure thing"

- Catch four rabbit in short time is not a great change, not more difficult, but it was cool to be able to take a little time.

If animals in trap spoils too, i will become less fun, at least for me. Not difficult but just less fun...

I understand your point, but it was tasks i was happy to complete little part by little part. Catch a rabbit, obtain some silk, have another rabbit, later, etc

Same for beebox. There was more flexibility before.

No, not really. I was'nt often using rabbit, and even when i had some in chest, i was never using them so... Now i don't have rabbit and it is the same.

So i don't care about the "chest full of rabbit".

But :

- The bird die so fast that i can't go in a trip and find it when i return. It made the birdcage "ponctual use" thing more than "structure thing"

- Catch four rabbit in short time is not a great change, not more difficult, but it was cool to be able to take a little time.

If animals in trap spoils too, i will become less fun, at least for me. Not difficult but just less fun...

I understand your point, but it was tasks i was happy to complete little part by little part. Catch a rabbit, obtain some silk, have another rabbit, later, etc

Same for beebox. There was more flexibility before.

You can feed the rabbit berries if you want to do it slow, I don’t think is that limiting

No, it is not "that" limiting. But... Don't know. I have no matter to use resources to keep animals alive. I have matter to make clicks and clicks and... Just to gain a little time. If i could put animals and resources in one structure, animals eating resources and i must give them food time to time, ok. But for the moment i find it a little annoying.

Nothing dramatic. Just not cool.

No, it is not "that" limiting. But... Don't know. I have no matter to use resources to keep animals alive. I have matter to make clicks and clicks and... Just to gain a little time. If i could put animals and resources in one structure, animals eating resources and i must give them food time to time, ok. But for the moment i find it a little annoying.

Nothing dramatic. Just not cool.

That is a very good suggestion, you could create a new post about it

We now have a precedent for a "powered" structure in the flingomatic, that has a readout you can use to see how much fuel it has left.  It would definitely be helpful if the birdcage could have like, a glass cylinder full of seeds added to it.  The level of seeds goes down over time, much like the flingomatic gauge.  Would definitely be a good idea.

The chests of rabbits was, for me at least, important for maxwell because his sanity regen is so fast I never went insane, so I'd have to gather 4 chests of rabbits, eat 4 green mushrooms, and then quickly murder my collected rabbits to get the beard hair and shadow fuel before I became sane again.  This new mechanic makes thing more difficult for maxwell now - definitely not trivial. 

But in general, ya, RoG is going to be more difficult.   This mechanic is in line with what Klei seems to be going for.  I imagine that people simply won't rely on stocking up rabbits for hard times anymore.

For me, it'll just make me not use any animal-related stuff anymore. Pigs, rabbits, and spiders will all live without me having to feed them constantly, so I'll just have less diversity in my food sources.

Making things so micro-managey should have been the opposite of what Klei wanted to do. Now, if we want to go on a multiple-day journey we'll have to take all of our pets and food for them, else they'll die.

We now have a precedent for a "powered" structure in the flingomatic, that has a readout you can use to see how much fuel it has left.  It would definitely be helpful if the birdcage could have like, a glass cylinder full of seeds added to it.  The level of seeds goes down over time, much like the flingomatic gauge.  Would definitely be a good idea.

I like that idea.  It was always kind of an exploit that we could feed stale/spoiling seeds to caged birds and get fresh ones back.  This could kill two birds with one stone (forgive the pun :p ).  It could prevent people from doing that by auto-adding the seeds to the bird feeder, plus it would be a way to get rid of extra seeds.  I usually end up with a bunch of them, either from just picking them up off the ground as I go or from feeding crops to the bird to get specific types of seeds (since you almost always end up with at least one random/non-specific seed).

The chests of rabbits was, for me at least, important for maxwell because his sanity regen is so fast I never went insane, so I'd have to gather 4 chests of rabbits, eat 4 green mushrooms, and then quickly murder my collected rabbits to get the beard hair and shadow fuel before I became sane again.  This new mechanic makes thing more difficult for maxwell now - definitely not trivial. 

There are other ways of getting Maxwell insane, such as holding the dark sword and night armor, constantly using a worm hole, green mushrooms, using Codex Umbra.

Alternately, you can go down into the ruins and collects stacks of nightmare fuel by waiting for the Nightmare Cycle to pass a few times.

But yeah, this bird thing seems micromangy. There at least needs to be a way to see how long it is before it starves.

I was thinking the exact same thing, you should do a thread about it, or i will if you don't. XD

I made a bit of a silly suggestion for a new non-starving phoenix bird in another thread, but now I think having a sort of seed container on the birdcage would be a better idea. Just put ten or twenty seeds in so the bird has something to chew on while you're gone, I think that would work fine.

Archived