Deerclops

I killed my first ever Deerclops just now on day 100ish of my second long-term world.

zs024Xi.png

I was exploring the map trying to finish my outline, since the tallbirds got to me my first time around there. Deerclops spawned on the circled outline area and I lured him into the center-ish of the tallbirds and froze him. He cleaned house, but the tallbirds eventually got him. Grand total of 23 meat and an eyeball.

What other methods are good for dealing with a Deerclops? Can you fight him 1 on 1 with a dark sword? Is it possible to kite him?

Also, I never saw him on the second winter. Does he always appear at the same places? Will I have to go back over here next winter to fight him again?

Yep you can kite him but be careful especially with his long ranged attack.

other methods include but aren't limited to:

Rock lobsters

Bunnymen

tentacles

spiders

mac Tusk

hunds

tallbirds

smallbirds

tooth traps

fire

gunpowder

pigs

merms

Liefs

Beefalo

clockwork chess monsters.

Houndious Shootius That eye turret thing I forget what it's name is

He doesn't always appear every winter and he doesn't appear in the same spot (He always spawns near where you're current location is), depending on what you set his spawning to.

Yeah, I prefer Ice Staff (the loss in sanity is much less than melee combat anyway,) and either ranged weapons that will finish him off (like blow-darts) or (more likely like you did,) get companions to fight him and finish him off, collecting the spoils from both parties in the end. Depending on the buddies (such as last-resort Beefalo,) I may have to pop in with a melee weapon and jab him, then see if I can get other mobs to engage him.

Yeah, I prefer Ice Staff (the loss in sanity is much less than melee combat anyway,) and either ranged weapons that will finish him off (like blow-darts) or (more likely like you did,) get companions to fight him and finish him off, collecting the spoils from both parties in the end. Depending on the buddies (such as last-resort Beefalo,) I may have to pop in with a melee weapon and jab him, then see if I can get other mobs to engage him.

I find it funny that your worried about Sanity loss when a 

GIANT ONE EYED DEER IS TRYING TO KILL YOU

I find it funny that your worried about Sanity loss when a 

GIANT ONE EYED DEER IS TRYING TO KILL YOU

Isn't that what's causing the sanity loss?  If a giant one eyed deer that hated buildings suddenly showed up and tried to kill me I know I'd lose a bit of sanity.  Among other things.

Isn't that what's causing the sanity loss? If a giant one eyed deer that hated buildings suddenly showed up and tried to kill me I know I'd lose a bit of sanity. Among other things.

Like control of your bowels. I think it's good he can knock down trees. He's like a deer version of Paul Bunyan now.

I'm aware that Wolfgang is mighty but don't you think that being able to tank a deerclops with no armor is a little OP?

Well, trees don't stop him anymore as of the latest hotfix testing. 

The Deerclops, nothing will stop him from pounding you into chunky salsa! Not Beefalo, not MacTusk, not even a stationary tree! The horror, the horror!

@Deacon_Blue : Kiting him is painful unless you're using the Walking Cane. I don't have the patience for that, and the inevitable Terrorbeaks would be enough of a pain in the ass that I, personally, would just end up dead while trying to whittle away the big fuzzball's health little by little. I prefer having one of the other two surface boss mobs (Treeguard, Spider Queen) in my backyard to meet up with Deary and rip him apart juuust enough so I can get that eye while barely trying. I prefer Spider Queens, but both work just as well.

Put on the magic hat (football helmet), wear your magician robes (night armor), hold your tentacle spike or dark sword, and just stay put and chop him in piece, no movement required - it just takes longer and you won't be taking massive damage - did this as wendy without abigail or any other helpers.

You can also put him to sleep and detonate him with enough gun powder. Or you can kite him with fire darts / fire staff (he will set stuff on fire if he walks nearby inflamable objects as well as burning everything he drops), or blow darts, or walk him around carpet of traps / mines etc.

Is best to not get helpers because there will be LOADS of casualties. Or, you can just use teleporter staff on him and that's about it :)

Put on the magic hat (football helmet), wear your magician robes (night armor), hold your tentacle spike or dark sword, and just stay put and chop him in piece, no movement required - it just takes longer and you won't be taking massive damage - did this as wendy without abigail or any other helpers.

You can also put him to sleep and detonate him with enough gun powder. Or you can kite him with fire darts / fire staff (he will set stuff on fire if he walks nearby inflamable objects as well as burning everything he drops), or blow darts, or walk him around carpet of traps / mines etc.

Is best to not get helpers because there will be LOADS of casualties. Or, you can just use teleporter staff on him and that's about it :-)

But, how am I supposed to get my damage-free extra meat if I don't utilize an army of (insert creatures of choice here?)

[not being serious)

Archived