I hope the DLC will make the game brutally hard

Like how wrath of the Lamb made Binding of Isaac really hard.

Or the DLC should add a hardcore mode.  (no I dont just want to play the game with less resources or more enemies)

I still love the ideas i had on water:

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/index.php?/topic/28933-hardcore-mode-water/

I love the idea of making the game harder making you have to do more things to do to survive.

Above all things im hoping this "DLC" we get will be more of an expansion pack making the game very diverse.

post-280640-0-73729300-1382411169_thumb.

FYI, there are plenty of people that feel that the BoI expansion actually made the game easier.

Its obvious that it could only get harder.

Due to the game difficulty being due to if you get good upgrades or not, the dlc definetly made it harder.  More good items also meant more bad items, decreasing the chances that youll get enough good items.

and second the normal enemies and the bosses got harder.

I'd welcome more difficult content, but not in the form of more micromanagement or a water/thirst/whatever meter. New areas and monsters with new traits could add more challenge aswell, but even now that Klei can go crazy with the difficulty, I do believe it will only be a temporary difficulty increase, depending on your skill. What I prefer as main focus for dlc would be: Gameplay variety. New things to do to make your game more diverse and with more lasting appeal, a real dynamic world where biomes and creatures change depending on events, and so on.

Oh and Wrath of The Lamb made the game easier, it added a crapton of good items, easy alternative bosses. Okay, some common enemies might be tough at first and the final boss fights are tough aswell depending on items gained, but the easier game parts outweight the difficult ones by far imo. And it depends on your own skill level aswell ;)

Dunno why people always say "water/thirst takes tooo much micromanagement!!"

My version of water:

-doesnt have drinking animations

-water is consumed automatically when needed

-It takes x3 as long to get thirsty when compared with hunger

-water purification is done automatically as long as you are within a certain radius of your the machine

-no inventory items are needed to collect water

I think my idea of water/thirst is rather streamlined

My version of water:

-water purification is done automatically as long as you are within a certain radius of your the machine

So just more tedious grinding, is what you're saying?

And you still need to make the water pure and stay within range of the machine or travel up a mountain to get pure water. It doesn't add any difficulty, but the need to keep track and replenish your canteen. Would welcome it as a mod but not as dlc content... But hey, maybe other people disagree with me and think it is what the dlc could use :)

Oh and I stand by the fact WoTL made BoI easier.

My version of water:

Of course you're going to think your own idea is good.  It's your idea.

For me, it's not so much that I want the game to be a lot harder initially, I just want the difficulty level to not drop off a cliff after the first Winter or so.  I'd like more to discover and more challenge in relation to surviving (not the optional caves) later in the game.  That doesn't just mean a bunch of bigger badder bosses.  Perhaps a true end game scenario too.

Nah difficulty in this game is hard create.

Consider basically two lines on a graph. One is difficulty and one is power of the player defined as ability to handle challenges.

Obviously at the start difficulty can be pretty high and the player has low power.

As time moves forward, the character grows in power but the difficulty of the game rises barely. It doesnt really change too drastically. There comes to a point where power outgrows difficulty but at that meeting point, is the sweet spot where you can barely handle the issues come your way.

What I think this game needs to make it more difficult in terms of scaling is to figure out a growth algorithm and scale the monsters accordingly in some way either in number or some sort of monster power scaler. Allow me to explain.

The difficult parts in this game is where the player is overwhelmed. You are limited to attacking 1 monster at a time and if you cannot manage the # of attacks between targets, you take damage. I.E its easy to stand still and hit two spiders without getting hurt as you alternate between them. As more spiders come, you are forced to kite and attack. This is a basic of scaling difficulty, # the numbers.

The other is monster toughness due to either just plain numbers or AI. Numbers would be, this monster has a lot of HP or this monster just does a lot of damage. One will argue getting instant KO'd is not fun but it sure is difficult. The second is AI and Mechanics.

Now a spider that runs up to you, yells and announces its attack is not difficult to bother with. But this combined with a jumping spider, causes a bit of problems to the mechanics. It adds a layer of interesting play.

This game would be much more fun in terms of difficulty scaling if the cavern spiders were to spawn with the leaping spiders as opposed to having spiders that do not compliment each other in terms of battle strategy.

A spider that runs at you and attacks you and often digs into its shell to avoid damage does not complement a spider trying to shoot blobs at you. 1 the "tank" isnt forcing you to deal with it first. and 2 you can simply ignore the creature when its burrowed. But if you were to place that spider with the gold spider, NOW you got some real difficulty kiting, and trying to kill the ranged one at the same time.

And I think this is the biggest spot where Dont starve fails, is creating interesting battle composition. When McTusk came out, i thought this was actually the hardest simply because you have ice hounds chasing you while he is ranged. Thats the basics of fighting right there! Soft squishy dps in the back! melee tank in the front! If monsters had these compositions as the game progressed then difficulty can scale with limited need to have to create new monsters and what not.

So at the start easy baby spiders that run attack you. A few days later, Gold spiders that regularly follow these guys around. a few more days later all of the above plus occasionally a spider that spits at you. Then late game, mother spider that spawns multiples of three. That is just with existing creatures! and only one sub specie! Now if you wanna be creative... You have a way more complex AI creatures.

i think for difficulty wise hunger sanity and health are fine just have to gradually increase the health and damage number for monsters at certain times of the game. just increase their stats so they become a greater challenge. possibly increase spawn numbers but maybe larger spacing's of time. this could create an ever growing difficulty over time so people  have a challenge. and possibly have a setting to turn it off for those that don't want it to get harder. this wouldn't start till a little after the first winter or somewhere around there

Klei works with its users on feedback to improve their games. So why don't they work with their heat idea and share it with us, and we can decide if it is released in a future DLC or not, and how it gets worked on if yes? 

And since it's an optional DLC we can decide whether to buy it or not for those who disagree with that system, unlike the mandatory free content update? 

I wish spiders in this game were more...spider-like. In the caves, you would walk into an almost invisible web, get tangled up and have to escape before a large arachnid crawled over and injected you with fluids, melting your insides...some spiders could be domesticated, introduced into a garden and control the population of pests...etc. Any method of preventing routine is good.

Meh...their free content didn't excite me a hell of  a lot, so I don't expect much from the DLC, or that I will end up buying it. The game always felt like it was in a perpetual Beta to me after I got past the first winter. After that you saw all the flaws, and the lack of interesting things to do. imo

Modders may make it better if this game lasts much longer. 

It's pretty bad when the new free content was so mediocre and pointless to the overall experience of the game difficulty, expansion, etc. that I didn't even want to play again because of it and just didn't bother after the caves came. We waited all that time for the caves to be SOMETHING and it was just meh to me.

Honestly, I'm still annoyed that they didn't add more events to the game when we all told them over and over what kind of events would make the game more interesting, yet they just stuck to the couple new areas with a bunch more junk that doesn't add to the experience really other than cosmetically. WE even suggested newmodes, and all sorts of stuff that would ahve made the game much more expansive, fun and interesting. Sadly, their vision didn't exactly see it our way. 

Forgive my ignorance, but why are we assuming there is going to be a DLC? I must have missed something.

Also, we shouldn't fault Klei for not making their product exactly as some of the fan-base envisions it. Believe it or not, any one of our idealized Don't Starve versions could be so much worse than the one we have now... not to mention impractical. I, for one, think Klei did/is doing a great job on this game and it was always well worth my money no matter which time period or state of the game we judge it from. The game's ideas and feels hit it right on the mark and, despite their beliefs, I feel like not many people could improve on it.

And seeing what was released (Screecher) with just Modding Tools, we can do incredible things with the game without having to change the core engine.

Sorry to show that means they will not change the core game difficulty and (likely) leave it to modders to tweak it from now on though. But literally, if you feel the game is too easy/hard, change it or find and gather people who can and make your mod known to others here! 

I think the Screecher mod was a bad move on their part. It just highlights the crap quality of most modders in the community nowadays.

Heck, none of them add any depth to the game. Their thought process consists of recognizing a threat, succumbing to that threat because of their incompetence and then "addressing" it through a mod virtually neutralizing it. Or watching the Saturday morning cartoons and thinking "I'm just a kid but I can change the world too! I'll be just like a hero one day!" then realizing that dream in a game.

But thanks anyway for showcasing what's possible, Klei. It was awesome.

I think the Screecher mod was a bad move on their part. It just highlights the crap quality of most modders in the community nowadays.

Heck, none of them add any depth to the game. Their thought process consists of recognizing a threat, succumbing to that threat because of their incompetence and then "addressing" it through a mod virtually neutralizing it. Or watching the Saturday morning cartoons and thinking "I'm just a kid but I can change the world too! I'll be just like a hero one day!" then realizing that dream in a game.

But thanks anyway for showcasing what's possible, Klei. It was awesome.

Bear in mind that the devs themselves worked on it. I'ts like comparing a special operations squad's to a recruit's work. Doing the same thing with unexperienced people will need a lot of time and a big team.

But overall it was a great move. Not only they showed what can be done with the game's engine but also they gave material for streamers to showcase. Even Pewdpiepie played that and the vid has half a million views already. It's good marketing for the game.

Archived