My Opinions on Each Characters Uses in Hamlet

2 minutes ago, Tumalu said:

With just 20 oincs Warbucks will out-regen the sanity loss from a Gas Mask, so it's not too hard to avoid the sneezing either. These go for Maxwell too, but he's not easily usable until they fix the bug where Magic Flower eats 30 max hp on reloads. (Technically I think you can dig up and replant the flower each time you reload, though)

Wickerbottom's books aren't very useful in Hamlet after all, after I did a whole world as her... good start, but free science machine is a non-perk after several days in. Between the pig farms and pig shops you can get tons of berry bushes, manure, farm foods very easily so growth book isn't necessary, and she can't make tentacle book right now.

but you can bring tentacle spots from shipwrecked or RoG and make a tentacle farm/trap
anyone tried to use tentacles as bat defense?

Wolfgang:

• while mighty, you can kill bats in 1 hit with darksword or cutlass supreme
  • can kill stuff faster, is very useful
  • hunger drains faster, which probably is a big problem buring early game
  • sanity drains faster near monsters and during dusk/night

16 minutes ago, metallichydra said:

hunger drains faster, which probably is a big problem buring early game

Guess he'll need to rush to the 2nd city to get a Belt of Hunger as soon as possible.

Otherwise killing Pig guards who defend Farms/Berry Bushes won't be a problem for him (4? Oincs per Berries + Fillers), a Walking Stick can negate the speed penalty of his wimpy form, Mants & Snaptooths might be a nice food source early (Once again 4? Oincs per Honey).

1 minute ago, Viktor234 said:

Guess he'll need to rush to the 2nd city to get a Belt of Hunger as soon as possible.

Otherwise killing Pig guards who defend Farms/Berry Bushes won't be a problem for him (4? Oincs per Berries + Fillers), a Walking Stick can negate the speed penalty of his wimpy form, Mants & Snaptooths might be a nice food source early (Once again 4? Oincs per Honey).

i havent played as him much, but i found an easy way to get meat (normal meat/large meat/ regular meat/ meat).

and its not killing the pig guards, not the hippotatomoose, not the platapine.

31 minutes ago, metallichydra said:

but you can bring tentacle spots from shipwrecked or RoG and make a tentacle farm/trap

I'd like to make a tentacle field (my 12 watchtowers work, but it's messy), but I'm not entirely sure how worldhopping functions. I need to make a new skyworthy after I go to RoG world, right...? How's that work? >.>

The main concerns are that there's a bit of a delay in their attack, and difficulty in collecting dropped pigskin, but with a stalking cane it's probably doable and since there's so many bats the emerged tentacles would probably just hit the next one.

1 minute ago, Tumalu said:

I'd like to make a tentacle field (my 12 watchtowers work, but it's messy), but I'm not entirely sure how worldhopping functions. I need to make a new skyworthy after I go to RoG world, right...? How's that work? >.>

The main concerns are that there's a bit of a delay in their attack, and difficulty in collecting dropped pigskin, but with a stalking cane it's probably doable and since there's so many bats the emerged tentacles would probably just hit the next one.

as far as i know, there's some kind of crashed balloon that drops silly can of string

On 12/17/2018 at 8:12 AM, Tumalu said:

Wickerbottom's books aren't very useful in Hamlet after all, after I did a whole world as her... good start, but free science machine is a non-perk after several days in. Between the pig farms and pig shops you can get tons of berry bushes, manure, farm foods very easily so growth book isn't necessary, and she can't make tentacle book right now. There's not good sleep targets IMO, unlike RoG giants/mactusks.

I second this.

Birds of the World isn't too useful alone due to the lack of Silk for boomerangs and birdtraps, so until you've got STS or End is Nigh it doesn't do much.

Applied Horticulture's the only one with much utility, allowing you to amass farmable items and gain lots of Oincs with your spare berries, rope and boards. Although as aforementioned you can also farm said items from pig farms and shops, Applied Hort allows you to do the same quicker at the expense of sanity.

Sleepytime Stories, as aforementioned, has situational utility due to the lack of targets to sleep. Maybe as an emergency getaway tool for Bat waves.

On Tentacles... well, there aren't any sources to get Tentacle Spots, so you still have to go worldhopping for it. Might be useful due to aforementioned strategies (Bat deterrent, for example).

End is Nigh... It's never really been useful in DS Alone. And it still isn't in hamlet. Lightning's effect is mostly just situational.

Those early, large amounts of Oincs and gold nuggets you'll be getting with an early Ball Pein Hammer is still a plus, though. 

Wilbur stats: 175 hunger, 150 sanity, 125 health [1x walking hunger 1.33x running hunger]

+ Poops every 2-3 days and can throw Poop (good for fertilizing and early tier 1 magic)

+ can run 2x faster after 3 secs (can run though living vines without dmg)

* 10 sanity per banana

- can't talk

- walks 50% slower, when kitting it translate to -1 swipe (slower collecting at the start and pig guard are harder to kill)

> spider-monkeys aren't friends

Woodlegs stats: 150 hunger, 120 sanity, 150 health

+ lucky hat gives random treasures ranging from op magic/ruin items to useless dubloons

* starts with 4 boards and a spyglass (spyglass can explore most of the 1st island on day 1)

* 1 nightmare fuel for 6 oincs and easy bone bits for water clothing and poop buckets

- sanity drop 4.8 per/min on land, roughly -60 points of sanity PER DAY

> no sealegs and can't craft lucky hat in hamlet

I don't like OP's tier classification.. tbh there is no clear distinction of what makes a character be in given category... 

WX "okay"? really? WX is OP in hamlet. BTW, gears are ez to get... just fast superfast to second island... as wx you can easily get there by day 2 xD

Warbucks "neutral"? dude.. Warbucks sanity is like his main advantage... he has 0 sanity issues which is a big thing in Hamlet.

On 12/17/2018 at 5:15 PM, metallichydra said:

Wolfgang:

• while mighty, you can kill bats in 1 hit with darksword or cutlass supreme
  • can kill stuff faster, is very useful
  • hunger drains faster, which probably is a big problem buring early game
  • sanity drains faster near monsters and during dusk/night

Wolfgang is not that useful in hamlet IMO.. Food is not as abundant in as in vanilla or dst and it can be a struggle to get mighty when u really need it specially since you don't have bundling wraps to keep emergency food fresh.. (i hope the devs introduce that in single player with the QoL update)

On 18. 12. 2018 at 12:03 AM, GetNerfedOn said:

On Tentacles... well, there aren't any sources to get Tentacle Spots, so you still have to go worldhopping for it. Might be useful due to aforementioned strategies (Bat deterrent, for example).

There is gonna be a book for her... propably will replace OT

Just played Warly. He is really good, much better in Hamlet than in Shipwrecked.

Backpack at the beginning allows collecting extra resources, also acts as free fridge.

Food prepared in crock pot regain 33% more stats meaning you heal fast and sanity is also easier to restore.

He should eat only crock pot dishes but it's easily manageable with portable crock pot and food shops.

Also he gets hungry 33% faster but crock pot also restores 33% more hunger so it's not really that much downside.

With larger hunger pool he can survive without eating for 2.5 days.

Archived