The Most Niche Use of the Rainometer

For those not familiar with the Rainometer, it predicts when the next rain will occur based on where the arrow of the meter falls, slowly adjusting till it rains. Because of such a simple feature, its not surprising that the Rainometer is looked down upon, especially since its getting three skins from the second Twitch Skin campaign. Even Maxwell's quote on the Rainometer is "I could just look up and see the same thing." 

Rainometer in Action

Spoiler

A proper timelapse!

To those individuals, I say I've found a use, albeit a niche one in an already niche scenario, but a unique niche nonetheless. And I really want to thank Klei for making this skin, cause otherwise I would have continued to overlook such a useful feature.

Its use is in the spoilers.

Spoiler

5bc1667177be4_TimerforRainInCaves.thumb.jpg.190fb5b0cfb03fb24ee93aaa5e92bd5f.jpg

That's right. Toadstool fight with Morning Stars. I've had a scenario with friends where we were going to fight Misery Toadstool with Morning Stars, but there was that constant question of "Has it started raining in the caves yet?" To which I would say "no" and the process would repeat itself till it actually did. Now we have a timer.

As far as I can tell, it will start raining in the caves after its stopped raining on the surface. However, the time frame for when its was going to start raining was an anomaly. It would happen eventually, but we didn't know when. But as per its design, we have always had a timer with the Rainometer.

Having said that, you don't have to exclusively use it for Toad but also for Fuelweaver if you use Morning Stars.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The timer itself till it rains look like this, to where it finally rains when the arrow is in the middle of the blue rain bar on the Rainometer.

5bc161d998e5f_MaxQuoteRainometer.thumb.jpg.eabab859fa5d107c05cf4f094a11675f.jpg

5bc161d8dae79_HalfwayPoint.thumb.jpg.dfe8c22ce1e6fd887e691fcee3049f83.jpg

Thanks for reading!

@goatt @S19TealPenguin 

I will be uploading a "timelapse" of the rainometer in action and will be uploaded shortly. I'm merely waiting on YouTube. For now, I'll give a hypothetical scenario. The time/day references are just hypothetical as well. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is the surface and it is the beginning of day 5 on a server, but it will naturally rain in the middle of day 9. On day 5, let's say the arrow on the rainometer is on the far left (the yellow part) forecasting that future weather (let's say next day) will be sunny. On day 6, the meter slowly inches towards the green part (let's say its now halfway at the yellow part), indicating tomorrow is still sunny, but there will be rain in the future. On day 7, we have hit the green part, indicating that rain will occur soon. By day 8, we are almost at the end of the green part and are entering the blue territory. At the beginning of day 9, we are approaching the middle of the blue part of the rainometer. At the middle of day 9, arrow is in the center of the blue part, and rain has begun.

Now for the caves. It's the middle of day 9 and we're in the caves and are waiting for the rain on the surface to stop cause. It will not rain in the caves otherwise. On day 11, the rain stops on the surface. Now we are waiting for the water to "seep" down into the caves. The process is exactly the same as the surface. Day 11, arrow is on yellow. Day 12, we're inching towards green. Day 13, we are in blue territory and it will finally rain when the arrow is in the middle of the blue part of the rainometer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If that didn't make sense, again I'll be uploading a video of the rainometer in action. Just put the video in 2x speed or if you're using Chrome, you can use an addon called Video Speed Controller to go faster than 2x speed (max 16). I'd put in a gif, but it's a long video and I don't know how w/o it dropping frames.

A proper timelapse video has been uploaded.

1 hour ago, MrDeepDarkmind said:

I like how most people here didn't know what the **** it did lol

The Images clearly show in the signs 

Either @_Ivocze_ is going to point this out or me but this is a no swearing christian sever.

you have been warned . Next offense will be a ban hammer

Christian not really, polite yes.  Don't worry about swearing, the forum censors it out automatically anyway.  Fun fact:  No matter WHAT (bad enough curse) you say, it comes out as a generic four *'s no matter what, so in some cases it doesn't even look like the right amount of letters!  : P

(and you can say milder ones like "hell" "damn" "crap" etc. just fine.  Heh.)

Also nobody can ban you besides the actual mods/admins.  :)

...Notorious

9 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Christian not really, polite yes.  Don't worry about swearing, the forum censors it out automatically anyway.  Fun fact:  No matter WHAT (bad enough curse) you say, it comes out as a generic four *'s no matter what, so in some cases it doesn't even look like the right amount of letters!  : P

(and you can say milder ones like "hell" "damn" "crap" etc. just fine.  Heh.)

Also nobody can ban you besides the actual mods/admins.  :)

...Notorious

How dare thee use such vulgar language? The christian gods of this server shall smite your existence!

Oh, no!  I art quakingeth in mine bootseth!  (Yes I know that's not actually how you Ye Olde English.)

...actually I HAVE found out in the past that if you use _substitutions_ for certain swears you'll still get in trouble anyway if they can easily tell what you meant, so...

Anyway.  Rainometer.  I...don't really have anything to say about it except green means "will rain soon" and I don't use them much.  (shrug)

...wait (mental whiplash) Christian GODS, plural?! That's kind of against the whole point!  XD  (Seriously, look at the actual Ten Commandments.  Stuff like (loosely translated) "Don't worship other gods"  "Don't insult me" and "Don't even look at other gods, I see you there, don't make me come over there" are definitely higher on the list than stuff like "Don't murder.")

...Notorious

Yeah, but gods just sounded better. Also, is technically worshiping Jesus and God considered a sin in a way, because while they are supposed to be the same person I think, they are technically 2 different people/entities right? I guess that's one of the sins he died for.

19 hours ago, lakhnish said:

Its use is in the spoilers.

Reveal hidden contents

5bc1667177be4_TimerforRainInCaves.thumb.jpg.190fb5b0cfb03fb24ee93aaa5e92bd5f.jpg

That's right. Toadstool fight with Morning Stars. I've had a scenario with friends where we were going to fight Misery Toadstool with Morning Stars, but there was that constant question of "Has it started raining in the caves yet?" To which I would say "no" and the process would repeat itself till it actually did. Now we have a timer.

As far as I can tell, it will start raining in the caves after its stopped raining on the surface. However, the time frame for when its was going to start raining was an anomaly. It would happen eventually, but we didn't know when. But as per its design, we have always had a timer with the Rainometer.

Having said that, you don't have to exclusively use it for Toad but also for Fuelweaver if you use Morning Stars.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The timer itself till it rains look like this, to where it finally rains when the arrow is in the middle of the blue rain bar on the Rainometer.

5bc161d998e5f_MaxQuoteRainometer.thumb.jpg.eabab859fa5d107c05cf4f094a11675f.jpg

5bc161d8dae79_HalfwayPoint.thumb.jpg.dfe8c22ce1e6fd887e691fcee3049f83.jpg

Still useless due to how enviromental wetness works(and how bosses like dfly and toad inherit them). At autumn/summer rain would evaporate quickly, and enviromental wentess won't reach 100. It never evaporates at winter and spring (Im not sure about spring but its often raining so its >50% for sure)

4 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

This thread has gone from discussing the rainometer, to religion. These forums never cease to amaze me in just how off topic they can get.

It is not the forums, but rather a few users (won't mention names, of course) who plant their jokes and comments all over the forums in search of attention.

4 hours ago, Diaboliko said:

Still useless due to how enviromental wetness works(and how bosses like dfly and toad inherit them). At autumn/summer rain would evaporate quickly, and enviromental wentess won't reach 100. It never evaporates at winter and spring (Im not sure about spring but its often raining so its >50% for sure)

It's niche during Spring rain for sure. However, you don't need 100% wetness to do 100% electrical damage to mobs. In fact, as long as the mob shows that its wet, you do full damage. However, there is a visual bug associated with it.

If you're holding a dry weapon/tool and hovering over a wet mob, it will show a white text, even though its wet. To see the true wetness, you need to hold ALT. If you're holding a wet weapon (say you threw water balloons at yourself and got wet) and hover over a dry mob, it says its wet even though its not. The bug essentially is that the shown saturation is the tool's saturation when held, not the mob's/environments saturation, which is easily resolved by hitting ALT.

But yes, when the environment dries up and stuff displays that they are not wet, the mobs are no longer wet. That means electrical weapons don't do full damage anymore. That is with the exception of Dragonfly, since she has inst:AddComponent("moisture"), which is essentially the wetness bar you see on a player. Because of that, the damage from electrical damage is scaled, not the full blown damage.

But I am curious about how the seasons affect this "environmental wetness." Do you know by chance where I can look in the lua for more info before doing in-game tests?

4 hours ago, lakhnish said:

But I am curious about how the seasons affect this "environmental wetness." Do you know by chance where I can look in the lua for more info before doing in-game tests?

Nope. But it surely is a thing.  If it rains at first day of summer in caves - toad will be dry by the next day. Nearly the same in autumn.

On 10/13/2018 at 10:40 PM, Alarsin said:

It is not the forums, but rather a few users (won't mention names, of course) who plant their jokes and comments all over the forums in search of attention.

Honestly, I just got curious and posted my in-the-moment thought. I also used that last sentence as a joke, which was funnier when I first thought of it. Anyways, sorry for the ramblings. Just trying to get used to posting here more and being a bigger part of the community.

6 hours ago, Hunter863 said:

Honestly, I just got curious and posted my in-the-moment thought. I also used that last sentence as a joke, which was funnier when I first thought of it. Anyways, sorry for the ramblings. Just trying to get used to posting here more and being a bigger part of the community.

Uhh, I did not mean you... Sorry for the confusion.

On 13/10/2018 at 5:22 AM, lakhnish said:

Fuelweaver can't get wet, even if the environment is.

Other than that, good post. More people need to know about the Rainometer.

Archived