A Missed Opportunity That I'm Surprised The Devs Didn't Do With The Gorge.

Adding food skin capability to the game would mean that they would have to completely revamp the cooking mechanic, because how else would you pick which skin you want without seeing the finished product?

I'd say they should add more unique recipes instead. It's pretty boring only cooking meatballs and pierogi and dragonpie. Make the other recipes more viable or add new viable ones.

It would be neat to have food "sets" rather than individual skins. Like, a pack that themes all of a certain type of food in a given way that you could select at character select. It would be a good way to allow foods to be skinned without having to change how the crockpot mechanic works.

I think skins are cool and all, like skins for your weapon, armor, structures, ect. though at one point I think it's stupid, and having skins for food which is something you're supposed to eat and not keep around for a long time is really dumb..

I would VERY much prefer if Klei added NEW foods instead of giving meatballs a triumphant, formal, survivor, Victorian skins...

On 10/5/2018 at 12:00 PM, Fill-Lips said:

Oddly enough, some foods have tempretures changes tied to them, too bad they only last a second

30 seconds more so. but its all understandable if you are in a tight spot already the temp increase from these surely won't save you as those most likely aren't your problems. your prolly getting chewed up by enemies of the vicious variety.

On 10/5/2018 at 11:38 AM, Cass_ said:

Adding food skin capability to the game would mean that they would have to completely revamp the cooking mechanic, because how else would you pick which skin you want without seeing the finished product?

I'd say they should add more unique recipes instead. It's pretty boring only cooking meatballs and pierogi and dragonpie. Make the other recipes more viable or add new viable ones.

This points to a larger problem at whole where the new food has to be better then the old food. an obvious answer is to reblance all the food as stated, but that's a lot of extra work for nothing just slightly more enjoyable cooking system and for Don't Starve that wasn't the point even if its in the name. The point was exploration, discovery, adapting and fighting baddies late game. Now DS has problems with that already but they aren't related to the cooking system. a lazy solution to this is to make cooking more expensive in the resource department as in getting fuel for the cooking etc but if that were to be done campfires would just be the new "crockpots". the game really is a sandbox after you have mastered the controls you make your own fun. It always relied on not knowing the answer and dying then problem solving or any really in-depth system everything in DS is really basic. meaning that surviving in DS is really basic as well.

Ok I went on a tangent but basically TLDR everything in DS is basic if new recipes rolled out they could just replace the old ones and people would just give you a big finger for wasting resources on trivial recipes.

The problem with adding new recipes is mostly that it won't change a whole lot about the game. We already have our Meatballs and Bacon & Eggs and Dragonpies and Meaty Stew, pretty much everyone exclusively eats those foods because doing otherwise is a waste of resources

Archived