Jump to content

Bug or WTF?


Recommended Posts

Untitled-4.png.132133ddb20dfc31065f2e52caac72c3.png

How do I get 2320w load on a line where the max should be 1940w... particularly since my power production consist of two hydro plants, which at most could produce 1600w  :? 

Where is this magic black matter power coming from and how do I tap into it !

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

or we could turn this into a "Bug or WTF" thread where we post Bugs or WTF Moments we cant replicate but are sure dont feel quite right.

I'll go next.

I had a duplicant Teleport 6 Tiles (3 over, 1 down) to get Entombed in a block he was building from ABOVE (the block he built was below him, two tiles down to the left).

Want to see? Caution, I drop the F-Bomb.

https://clips.twitch.tv/AbrasiveBoxyDiamondDAESuppy

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Ayka said:

or we could turn this into a "Bug or WTF" thread where we post Bugs or WTF Moments we cant replicate but are sure dont feel quite right.

I'll go next.

I had a duplicant Teleport 6 Tiles (3 over, 1 down) to get Entombed in a block he was building from ABOVE (the block he built was below him, two tiles down to the left).

Want to see? Caution, I drop the F-Bomb.

https://clips.twitch.tv/AbrasiveBoxyDiamondDAESuppy

 

You are correct. This is definitely the right way to use this thread. I watched it 10 times in a row and still can't stop laughing. At the beginning i thought your pose was frozen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, blash365 said:

You are correct. This is definitely the right way to use this thread. I watched it 10 times in a row and still can't stop laughing. At the beginning i thought your pose was frozen.

I've been told my face/reaction was "priceless".

A little backstory, the challenge this week is to launch a duplicant into space, Fatalistic/Miserable, ONE Duplicant, single-dupe challenge. 10x Speed (as long as it holds up to framerates). So losing a dupe to this particular chestnut super stings. Chat let me teleport him out of the block since its CLEARLY a bug.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

The transformers on your circuit are doing it.  Power from batteries don't count as producers and transformers don't count as consumers.  So your batteries + generators are transferring power to consumers and the transformer for a combined total of 2320 watts.

are you saying that this behavior is intended?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think that transformer drawing more power than it can handle is the desired behavior. And I have observed overload damage, and the interesting thing is that changing to larger transformer mitigated most of it.
Also I have been relying on the circuit stat info to check and fine tune my grid power consumption, but with it this info become nonsensical. The transformer has a nice informative energy tab (though the tooltips could be better, btw critter tooltips say dups)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OK, in the screenshot you posted, you have two generators with 800 watts each.  You also have two batteries that have some charge on them. No problems so far.  That part of the circuit connects to the high side of a transformer.  The OTHER side of the transformer has multiple batteries in a discharged state.  The transformer will run at its maximum capacity to try and charge those batteries, regardless of the actual load on that side.  So, with the small transformer in your screenshot, that's 1000 watts.

The actual load on your circuit does not count power going to charge batteries. It only counts buildings that consume power as part of their operation.  The transformer itself counts as a battery for power calculations.  The load, then, will be your gas pumps, electrolyzers, that huge array of lamps, etc.  If you add all that up, you come out with 1940 watts.  264 watts is your huge lamp bank on the low side of the transformer.  The small transformer has a maximum load of 1kw.  Subtract the 264 watts and that means that 736 watts is being transferred to the batteries.  736 + 1940 = 2676.  The maximum power that can potentially show in the tooltip is 2676 watts.  Once the smart batteries are fully charged (or discharged, depending on which side of the transformer they're on), this can no longer happen.

So, yes, this is completely normal behavior for how the electric circuits are currently implemented in ONI.   The reason you stopped noticing the behavior with the larger transformer could be because the batteries on the low side are charged much more quickly and so the discrepancy isn't noticed. It could also be that the larger (old) transformer isn't reporting the power going to the batteries and the smaller (new) one is.  IDK.  You'd have to test some different scenarios and see what is actually happening.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

The reason you stopped noticing the behavior with the larger transformer could be because the batteries on the low side are charged much more quickly and so the discrepancy isn't noticed. It could also be that the larger (old) transformer isn't reporting the power going to the batteries and the smaller (new) one is.

I suspect this is the likely culprit.  I took a bit of a break from playing, so I have yet to build a Small Transformer or the reworked Large Transformer, but the original Transformer never used to report on Batteries.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

It only counts buildings that consume power as part of their operation. The transformer itself counts as a battery for power calculations.

There is your problem. When connected to the grid, the transformer potential power consumption (up to its max capacity) should be added to the input side grid maximum possible load.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Cipupec2 said:

There is your problem. When connected to the grid, the transformer potential power consumption (up to its max capacity) should be added to the input side grid maximum possible load.

It does count the load on the other side, it does not count the batteries.  I think its an issue of "do we want to melt wires while charging batteries" or not.

 

Batteries will potentially claim all power that is available in order to charge.  You can see this by hooking up two or more transformers in parallel and using batteries on both sides.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
×
  • Create New...