Can you show me how you protect your satellites?

It'd be very helpful for me to see the arrangement of bunker doors, the height they're at, the spacing and so on.

The build should preferrably allow for automatic dupe digging, NOT automatic doors.

P.S I'm well aware of ONI Cosmology thread and the info there, the implementation is where I'm having trouble.

P.P.S And nobody in the thread said window tiles obstruct view of the sky, so it's not like everything is there...

I recently changed to doors for automation, so I cant Post a picture.

However before I figured that out I just  Bunker Doors on Top... a row a unfinishable oil wells under the doors... and finally a row of horizontal regular doors. The regular doors had an automation delay to open a few minutes after to give time for digging.

The problem is if they don't don't dig in time the tiles fall and overheat the observatory / entomb the satellites. 

So I gave up and just use door crushers that drop all the crushed materials on top of the ob/sats and because in vacuum don't heat them up at all.

Edit- This is my current picture.... just replace the 3 middle rows of automated doors with Qued up Oil Wells to make dupes dig it.

Capture.JPG

3 hours ago, Hellshound38 said:

I recently changed to doors for automation, so I cant Post a picture.

However before I figured that out I just  Bunker Doors on Top... a row a unfinishable oil wells under the doors... and finally a row of horizontal regular doors. The regular doors had an automation delay to open a few minutes after to give time for digging.

The problem is if they don't don't dig in time the tiles fall and overheat the observatory / entomb the satellites. 

So I gave up and just use door crushers that drop all the crushed materials on top of the ob/sats and because in vacuum don't heat them up at all.

Edit- This is my current picture.... just replace the 3 middle rows of automated doors with Qued up Oil Wells to make dupes dig it.

Capture.JPG

Wait, so you do not need to have a layer of glass below the doors? They destroy the regolith mid air? 

I'm not a fan of the "floating structure" look, so my design is a bit more grounded than these. It's designed to be repeated across the surface, alternating between tower and panels.

HVsyxlI.png

At the moment this is a debug design. It hasn't been tested in survival.

6 hours ago, QuQuasar said:

I'm not a fan of the "floating structure" look

Me too, personally. I even add structural support beams to the Gravitas facility if it is suspended mid air after bombardments :D  

Your build looks very pleasing to the eye.

Could you show me the automation overlay, please? @QuQuasar

I have already go with this before, this was my survival build, and because it use no glitch or cheat, it still useable if you can dig up to space.

For max efficiently remove all glass make room for solar panel cuz they dont produce heat now. If you want room effect, use open door instead.

I've updated my design with prettier towers and overall a better use of space:

YiV6koq.png

As before, this is a debug build, but it's withstood a fair amount of testing so far so I'm pretty sure it's viable in survival.

As requested, here's the automation overlay:

Spoiler

GWOnYJa.png

ztzi1a1.png

And the power overlay. I expect I'd build end up building one transformer circuit for every tower if I was trying to cover the surface:

Spoiler

bKHThTL.png

I discovered by chance that it's possible to auto-dig the meteor scanner (or any other building) using the oil refinery blueprint. For some reason, the upper part of this building can overlaps with existing constructions. (Edit : actually it seems the blueprint in it's entirety can overlaps with existing constructions ! I can't believe I didn't realized this sooner.)

5b9f54fbc8430_Capturedecran2018-09-17a01_30_51.thumb.png.e64f247f7cbe9ee860bc35b55a69ecd9.png

4 hours ago, QuQuasar said:

So, uh... that screenshot in my post above. I was using it as a blueprint to start a survival build, and I noticed... well, this. Bottom left corner.

i8Z2mud.png

It's clearly Meep, but... what the heck is he doing?

mopping

Archived