How to deal with hot Natural Gas Geyser?

I was hopping to tap early into a Natural Gas Geyser, but looks like it run at 150c, which more than pumps can handle.. Is there anything tricks I can employ here  or just have to run a cooling loop? 

In my search I found this thread, which suggest that gas under 1k pressure will auto cool, is that true?

Spoiler

gas won't auto cool, only equalize with the surrounding environment 

go ahead and tap it early and make your pump out of gold amalgam, it's overheat temp is 125C but it's doubtful the natural gas will reach that temp unless you cap it in abbysalite 

the gas is hot but isn't enough to really cause any problems so long as you don't insulate it completely. 

Make sure you've got a bit of room for gathering and give it one or two normal edges to dissipate some heat and you'll be fine to send it to a generator. 

8 hours ago, Cipupec2 said:

In my search I found this thread, which suggest that gas under 1k pressure will auto cool, is that true?

Hide contents

It's not a cooling system, the fact is some hundred grams of NG at 150°C will need longer time to heat 1Kg pressure or higher than some grams of gaz. As well, the gaz will be pump before get too hot.

14 minutes ago, Steve Raptor said:

No need to get complicated, just let it cool with the surrounding biome.

I just like to contain the heat XD I have a slightly newer design which locks all the heat inside so that I do not heat up the outside area :) but each to their own thats what makes it fun!

I left my natural gas geyser uncooled for 700 cycles or so and it never warmed the surrounding biome past 60 degrees or so.

Now I'm using a water cooler with radiant pipes which works really well.

Just look at the numbers of the geyser. It's not that much heat, that you need to worry about it right away :)

I use polluted water to cool mine.

5b92f5349037c_Naturalgasgeyserph2ocooling.thumb.png.af273caa654cd14911e95f9e0c5e6b8f.png5b92f59d6488a_Naturalgasgeyserph2ocooling.thumb.png.32c72d4b9a504f1c64efa29a30cdd9ef.png

I stop the pH2O with a liquid shutoff hooked up with automation to a liquid pipe thermo sensor that goes active if the water is above 105. I used to set it to 110, but then my pump managed to overheat somehow. So, better safe than sorry. The pump probably overheated because I'd pumped out too much gas and the liquid cooling wasn't fast enough. So, the pump only starts when the pressure is above 1500 g now. Haven't had any problems with these settings. 

The polluted water is generated by a algae distiller that serves no other purpose, and I've been stockpiling slime in a submerged storage compactor since the beginning of my play-through, so I never have to worry about the polluted water suddenly running out.

Because of the high temperature, all slime lung gets killed, so it's output is completely pure water at 40*.

It's very reliable, though, the gas it pumps out is still in the 100* and it'll heat up your gas generators, so they need to be made out of gold too.

Archived