What is the use of pickeld meal?

6 minutes ago, chemie said:

Won't rot

But most players move away from mealwood at some point and don't farm much/any after that. It'd be better to have that kind of non-rotting version for all food items and make it -1 or -2 quality in comparison to raw equivalent.

In addition to not rotting, if your water supply happens to be contaminated with food poisoning, the liceloaf coming out of the musher will be too.  Pickled Meal will remove the f.p. germs just like other types of cooking do.

But, yeah, not really very useful as a food item.

You can fill a room with carbon dioxide (and other gases but CO2 is the easiest to do in most cases) and food won't rot in there, it'll say "Sterile atmosphere" when you hover over it.

I generally find that by the time your food production is at such a high level, it's easier to create such a room than concentrate on pickling things.

Feeding Sages Hatches.. doesn't rot easy so if you set the feeder to something like 10kg, they'll eat it before it ever spoils.

Problems with feeding Sages this way is that it gives them the calories, but not the mass. If they poop coal it won't be much (I believe) but only takes 1 pickled meal live to fill them up.

If you are farming Sage Hatches for their precious lime from eggs, I could see this being useful. I have millions of calories of unused raw eggs since my Dupes eat BBQ. Feeding the Sage Hatches extra food is a good way to keep them alive if you're not using them for coal production.

However, makes more sense to just build a pocket of CO2 for the feeder to sit in so that no food you put in rots. With that in mind, pickling the meal lice doesn't really do much.

I don't like use sterile atmosphere food storage so I make pickled meal until I can afford to power refrigerators. Liceloaf takes water and if you want to spend water on food, Bristleblossom is the only correct starting point. I run medium-heavy dupe counts (16ish) so I can spare the work.

Archived