150% efficiently Solar with no manual input.

I've never gotten around to building solar farms in survival but did play around with them in debug briefly. When I tried them, they most certainly blocked light. Since when did stacking solar panels become a thing?

Whether it's a bug or not, it would be quite poor design to leave them be like that since the surface is clearly intended to be a challenging place as well as rewarding. The threat of meteors is there to give you the tradeoff: If you want more solar power, you have to protect and keep clear a larger part of the surface. Stacking solar panels makes that tradeoff nearly irrelevant.

2 minutes ago, Sevio said:

I've never gotten around to building solar farms in survival but did play around with them in debug briefly. When I tried them, they most certainly blocked light. Since when did stacking solar panels become a thing?

Whether it's a bug or not, it would be quite poor design to leave them be like that since the surface is clearly intended to be a challenging place as well as rewarding. The threat of meteors is there to give you the tradeoff: If you want more solar power, you have to protect and keep clear a larger part of the surface. Stacking solar panels makes that tradeoff nearly irrelevant.

Absolutely! I don't find always the right words for my thought (I am not a native English speaker), but u nailed it!

I think stacked panels is an exploit. Solar light works in a different way in EU update (KLEI added a feature ,which i called light absorb factor, to game and the factor only works on solar light. But they forget to add panel as a special case). As the result, panel can block bulb light but can't block solar light. 

BTW, if you find something strange, please report it in bug tracker. Don't worry about repeating report.

52 minutes ago, Yunru said:

For cooling a single layer, you can get something with a boiling point lower than the machine's overheat, and have a pool of it on the bottom tiles with a wall behind them. Once they heat up to boiling, it vents to space and new coolant is supplied.

Sadly doing so wont get the "power room" effect or not fully cover all light on the map. Also liquid block light by a fair amount.

2 minutes ago, R9MX4 said:

BTW, if you find something strange, please report it in bug tracker. Don't worry about repeating report.

Some things are reported many many times, but they don't fix it. Don't know why. The steam turbine is currently useless. I cannot run the steam turbines over several cycles as a couple of updates before.  The door compression method destroy the steam gas since the last updates. Tested it many times now. I have given up. But u are right. Maybe, they have forgotten it.

40 minutes ago, DustFireSky said:

Some things are reported many many times, but they don't fix it. Don't know why. The steam turbine is currently useless. I cannot run the steam turbines over several cycles as a couple of updates before.  The door compression method destroy the steam gas since the last updates. Tested it many times now. I have given up. But u are right. Maybe, they have forgotten it.

You can still run a steam turbine if you start with 2 kg pressure of oxygen in a room like this:

auto-pressurizing-steam-turbine-2.thumb.jpg.846bc20b9f9140c45a3f0d9d7e947922.jpg

The oxygen will fight with the steam for the top 2 rows and satisfy the steam turbine's pressure requirement so all you need to do is add heat.

The petroleum is there to stabilize temperature fluctuations and reduce wasted energy because the magma is so hot, it's not absolutely needed.

3 minutes ago, Sevio said:

You can still run a steam turbine if you start with 2 kg pressure of oxygen in a room like this:

auto-pressurizing-steam-turbine-2.thumb.jpg.846bc20b9f9140c45a3f0d9d7e947922.jpg

The oxygen will fight with the steam turbine for the top 2 rows and satisfy the steam turbine's pressure requirement so all you need to do is add heat.

Niche, i ll try build this in survival next patch, power plant room bonus give +1000w for 1 day, which will be much more efficent than solar. Solar system cost so much cpu for both automation and dups travel. Heat wont be a problem since religo start at 300c.

Thanks for your solution. But why runs the turbine ? The middle tile is missing and all the others are blocked and the turbine is still running ? U need only 1 opened for the steam throughput? Curios build. I thought, the turbine must be placed on exactly 5 tiles (Mesh or Gas tiles) under it. Is this the solution the dev's wanted to use the turbine ? hmmm. For me, it doesn't make sense. Just my opinion. But thanks for a working build.

10 minutes ago, DustFireSky said:

Thanks for your solution. But why runs the turbine ? The middle tile is missing and all the others are blocked and the turbine is still running ? U need only 1 opened for the steam throughput? Curios build. I thought, the turbine must be placed on exactly 5 tiles (Mesh or Gas tiles) under it. Is this the solution the dev's wanted to use the turbine ? hmmm. For me, it doesn't make sense. Just my opinion. But thanks for a working build.

The steam turbine doesn't need a floor but uses (cools) steam for every input port that is open. So I blocked 4 of the 5 input ports so that the turbine would use only 1/5th of the heat. It still produces 2 kW though. I agree that a lot about the steam turbine doesn't make sense but this thread isn't a good place for discussing steam turbine balance so let's leave it at that. :)

5 hours ago, DustFireSky said:

People who write an answer and add the simple "LOL" at the beginning or end of the text are mostly little kids, they can't respectful discuss. Thanks for that. I don't see the sense to talk with people like u.

Even a kid is a better discussion...-ist? than someone who picks out one thing to use as an ad-hominem  to dismiss someone else's point they disagree with.

6 hours ago, DustFireSky said:

People who write an answer and add the simple "LOL" at the beginning or end of the text are mostly little kids, they can't respectful discuss. Thanks for that. I don't see the sense to talk with people like u.

You know what?

Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.j

I use it many times if I read the answers. Other people explain the fault with the current system and share my opinion. So, what's your next step ? Disrespectful laughing at them ? I can not take u serious.  Or with your words => LOL

28 minutes ago, DustFireSky said:

I use it many times if I read the answers. Other people explain the fault with the current system and share my opinion. So, what's your next step ? Disrespectful laughing at them ? I can not take u serious.  Or with your words => LOL

I love trolls like you.

Go build you solar power network without using any other source of power, I will wait.

calling a linguistic trait childish makes one a prudish boar with no (or at best tenuous) inkling or understanding of the evolution of language but moving on from that pedantic geriatric asinine rant about pediatric peculiarities, @Sevio  You are using 2 maybe 3 different exploits to get your steam turbine to run...  so.... I wouldn't call that a feasible build structure personally but you do you.

@Kabrute The fact it uses exploits you don't like to use doesn't make it unfeasible for its purpose.

The person I responded to (DustFireSky) said they could not run the steam turbine in any useful capacity. They also said they were attempting to use the door compression method, which is no less exploity than simply self-pressurizing it with oxygen as both defeat the challenge of condensing the steam after it goes through the turbine. Unfortunately it has been shown that a condensing steam turbine would have to be so big and complex that it is highly impractical to build in survival. So I showed them a way to build a practical one with a minimum of fuss that uses a reasonable amount of heat given our options to power it.

That said I'd be the first to applaud a rework of the steam turbine not just so we no longer have to use these tricks to make it work but because it's also at the core of that overheat temperature clamping "fix" that allows AETNS and even batteries to destroy infinite amounts of heat.

which is why the turbine should be fixed, also why I said "I wouldn't....... personally, but you do you.", yeah they were so desperate to make their new idea feasibly useful they broke several basic principles making it happen. 
I would have

A) put a delay in the tepidizers start up sequence.  then either 1. remove its exhaust heat and have it only heat self. or 2. perform a check to ensure the device is either only in liquid or only in gas before engaging

B)done the same to heater

C)reworked the steam turbine as a small, single cell Turbine that effectively does what the bigger building does but converts whatever difference in temperature exists between its two sides into power, clamping at, say, 1kw per block at a 100c difference in temperature or some more reasonably specific value based on the heat capacity of steam and the limits of equipment......... maybe put an arrow on the block and make it rotatable, then we can continue as we do or create turbines that face downward even.... for the condensation cycle.......

55 minutes ago, _Q_ said:

Go build you solar power network without using any other source of power, I will wait.

No one said that u just only build solar panels at the beginning. First, u can't and second the derivation from u of my text is your fault. U just add something to my text, that I never said. The thought about it, is ridiculous.

I said, if u are at the space biome (reach it), u don't need any other energy source anymore, because u can stack it and so u just exploit the whole energy concept at this point. That's the thing. That u don't understand my text isn't my fault. Go and don't interpret something in other texts, that the owner never said.

38 minutes ago, DustFireSky said:

No one said that u just only build solar panels at the beginning. First, u can't and second the derivation from u of my text is your fault. U just add something to my text, that I never said. The thought about it, is ridiculous.

I said, if u are at the space biome (reach it), u don't need any other energy source anymore, because u can stack it and so u just exploit the whole energy concept at this point. That's the thing. That u don't understand my text isn't my fault. Go and don't interpret something in other texts, that the owner never said.

And that's a good thing, after all the progress you have clean source of power, not like you need it in the first place, as there is no profits from going green anyway, and burning natural gas or petroleum will give you water, far better than just power.

15 hours ago, DustFireSky said:

Real solar panels don't act like this. Glass or not is irrelevant. In the real world a solar panel isn't transparent. So, it's a bug. Simple, but correct.

The general approach is (perhaps surprisingly) sound.

One common way of increasing the efficiency of solar cells is multi-junction solar cells... which are quite literally solar cells stacked on top of each other:

The easy solution is to use two mechanically separate thin film solar cells and then wire them together separately outside the cell. This technique is widely used by amorphous silicon solar cells

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/19/StructureMJetspectre.png

Both from Wikipedia.

I honestly don't know why I am bothering, coming back to the forums for one post was already a mistake.

BUT, for the talk about steam gens

image.thumb.png.533202009a723adb505201d26f459390.png

2 steam gens here, both working fine.
Bottom one is clearly using a glitch that has been talked about before (forcing temp into the neutronium)
The top one uses loops for the coolant of the refineries, I refine I get power fromthis generator.

Maybe it's all relying on a glitch/bug because of the gas separation, but just like I showed solar panels - this is how steam gens work at the moment.  If this isn't making use of glitches, then steam gens are fine in their current state.  If it is using glitches, then I have no idea how a steam gen is supposed to work.

And a similar setup, from last update, incorporating the steam gen into an oil boiler setup

image.thumb.png.61c6886db32b91a82592ac4c9e0845ad.png

Stacking solar panels is so bad, not like you can get infinite energy already from natural gas boiling anyway, and once you set up everything you don't need to do anything around it, and its infinite loop at that oil -> natural gas -> water and CO2 -> oil, a bit more work to set up, but has the same effect, but nah lets bash solar panels, totally game braking and stuff.

Archived