Ice sculpture useless?

I just had placed one next to a wheezewort and last time i checked was at -5 C and must have decreased more, after a few i noticed water and that it melted... What temperature is needed for it not to melt? Also why does it take 2 tiles? It doesn't make any better than the normal sculptures, you can just place 2 which overpower th ice sculpture in decor

The decor-system is rudimental at best. All we have is light in general, one picture-frame, stone-statues, ice-statues and plants to improve the decor.

I think the ice-sculpture was just an idea, and left in the code, without pursuing it further.

The will change the whole think in a later update i think.

I used them to cool down clean water in order to run my farm when I am running out of the unprocessed water. It cool may base when I do not have a better way to cool it yet. All you need is to dig to ice biome. Just put them on top of a water tank. Do not put to Mach 40C water One ice sculpture only 600 kg of water.

Why waste time building sculptures over your water tank instead of just putting the ice in compactor in the water and letting it melt there and give you a nice cold water tank that will absorb heat?

18 minutes ago, psusi said:

Why waste time building sculptures over your water tank instead of just putting the ice in compactor in the water and letting it melt there and give you a nice cold water tank that will absorb heat?

If you tried that you'll know the reason - surface area. Ice in a compactor melts VEEERY slowly, excruciatingly slowly. By contrast, ice scultpures melt almost instantly, because they're 4 tile-buildings with relatively small mass.

4 minutes ago, martosss said:

If you tried that you'll know the reason - surface area. Ice in a compactor melts VEEERY slowly, excruciatingly slowly. By contrast, ice scultpures melt almost instantly, because they're 4 tile-buildings with relatively small mass.

Why does that make much difference?  There's more air around the sculpture sure, but doesn't the ice in the compactor melt slowly bit by bit?  Or does the ENTIRE mass of ice in the compactor have to heat up and melt all at once?

Just now, psusi said:

Why does that make much difference?  There's more air around the sculpture sure, but doesn't the ice in the compactor melt slowly bit by bit?  Or does the ENTIRE mass of ice in the compactor have to heat up and melt all at once?

I actually managed to melt 20t of ice - took 10+ cycles and ice melted seemingly altogether. It doesn't matter - heat transfer is faster if you have ice statues.

14 minutes ago, psusi said:

I use the ice compactor method, and I set it to 2000kg maximum if I'd like it to move at any reasonable speed.  I've seen it melt in chunks, but 20t of ice takes forever and doesn't have the same cooling as 10 2ton compactors.

use a tungsten tile or door under your compactor.  Compactor contents trade temps with the tile below the compactor so I build  single metal tile on the floor then build my compactor on top of that, putting a tsp(temp shift plate) right above the metal tile hooks that one metal tile to 8 blocks of water...

They're currently the quickest and easiest way to cool down small areas that don't need constant or permanent cooling setups. 

For example: a new farm built into a region that was previously a swamp or caustic biome will tend to start out too hot to grow things.  If you surround it with insulation and build some ice sculptures, though, when they melt it will cool the new farm down to usable levels very quickly. (Just mop up the cool water when you're done.) The temps will stay there as long as your O2 supply isn't too hot.  Using wheezeworts or other means for this purpose is a lot more time consuming and labor intensive.

They're also very useful for cooling temporary generator and battery setups in the early game, since they just melt and cool everything down, and there's no point in setting up complicated cooling arrangements for generators that you'll be tearing down in the near future anyway.

Archived