Natural gas appeared out of nowhere in my base

Hello fellow ONI players,

I played a map in which there was natural gas in my base that slowly built up from the start, there were no leaky walls, no natural gas geyser or anything. I had 1 dupe that had the Flatulent debuff though, but can he generate that much? O_o ..if yes...good lord...

If anyone knows why i really like to know

If you have a Flatulent Dupe, then there's your answer.  It may look like a lot of gas, but I'm sure if you check the mass, you'll find that it's really not that much.  I think someone did a test a long time ago, and even if you only take Flatulent Dupes, you can't produce enough NatGas to run a single Generator until you obtain a prohibitively large number.

IIRC 1 flatulent dupe produces ~5g/s on average and a Natgas gen needs 60g/s. 12 flatulent dupes. Try THAT.

Not quite correct. I have a base whit 8 flatulent dupes. One dupes  produces in one fart 100 gr of natural gas. When i will be at home a will check how many time a dupe fart during a cycle and will post the correct values.

This happened to me and I have no flatulent Dupes. I found a tiny bit of natural gas that collected over my CO2 of my mushroom farm. There was no way natural gas could have come from anything else because I built a liquid airlock before accessing a natural gas geyser.

I also had this same problem with chlorine. One section of the map suddenly had a tons of chlorine and I didn't dig up any bleach stone. I had to send in a group of Squeaky Pufts to take care of the problem, but they are taking forever.

So after staying after catalina for one cycle she farted whit flower gas-es (the ladies never fart  :) ) for 15-en times, sow 1.5 k of natural gas for one dupes/cycle. Under you will see how much natural gas one fart have (100g/ fart). The pro, whit 8 dupes I have 12 Kg of natural gas / cycle :). The  con. is that the real challenge is when you want to make vacuum, they fart and back to beginning.

image.thumb.png.c03febc0acc6c4e018b6b66d9724918b.png

4 minutes ago, chemie said:

One more reason I avoid dups with this trait

disagree. I build filtering system in the bottom of the base for accidental chlorine pollution, so adding an extra filter for nat gas isnt that much of an extra effort. It is basically free energy, even if not that much.

41 minutes ago, MorsDux said:

disagree. I build filtering system in the bottom of the base for accidental chlorine pollution, so adding an extra filter for nat gas isnt that much of an extra effort. It is basically free energy, even if not that much.

I disagree with your disagreement

The nat gas you get wouldn't cover the energy needed to power the filter

I always believed that fertilizer emits natural gas. Basically, i noticed that after I expand my base where I dig up some fertilizer natural gas appear in my base. I did not do experiments. but I still believe that is a case.

In theory, Flatulent is a negative trait early game but a positive one late game.  In the early game, you usually lack the infrastructure to filter out and store the NatGas that accumulates.  Depending on how deep your CO2 pit is, this may or may not cause issues with your plants based on where you grow them relative to your pressure lines.  And it costs you in power as well to run the filter if you are transferring O2 or CO2 to another location.

Late game, however, these infrastructure issues fade away.  You should have adequate infrastructure at this point to deal with filtration problems.  Most people have a central filtration center, with storage chambers for various gasses.  You should have enough "fluff" power from other systems to cover the filter, and you can re-engineer your filtration systems to not use the actual Gas Filter structure (120 W), but instead the double Shutoff Element Sensor method (10 or 20 W depending on design).  The biggest frustration will simply be allocating the Dupes in question to locations where the NatGas they produce can easily be collected to enter the filtration system.  Which, now that we have Scheduling, shouldn't be that big of a deal.

1 hour ago, PhailRaptor said:

In theory, Flatulent is a negative trait early game but a positive one late game.

That might be the case, but it comes with the downside of being completely impossible to make vacuums with duplicant access, since they'll release gas even when in exosuits.  That's an even bigger downside than the filtering issues, in my opinion.

7 hours ago, AzeTheGreat said:

That might be the case, but it comes with the downside of being completely impossible to make vacuums with duplicant access, since they'll release gas even when in exosuits.  That's an even bigger downside than the filtering issues, in my opinion.

If anything, that's a bug that needs to be submitted for fixing.  Has that been done, by you or anyone else?

19 hours ago, AzeTheGreat said:

While inconvenient, calling it "completely impossible" is over the top.  You can always restrict access to sensitive areas for particular dupes if you don't choose to bar them from your colony completely.

being completely impossible to make vacuums with duplicant access, since they'll release gas even when in exosuits

Not difficult.

A little tricky but not impossible. I have only flatulent duplicants and I have an area for Hydrogen, an area for polluted water, a masive gas rezervoir for bumping when the vents, is dormant, and a methane reservoir for converting the excess nat gas. If you want i can make some printscreens

Archived