negative performance influences

Hi,

I'm interested in what's currently having a negative impact on performance / frame rate (and how much).
The reason is: I want to avoid these points as much as possible when starting a new game.

Path finding, both for Dupes and Critters, is the largest performance load the game has to deal with.  To an extent this is unavoidable, but it can be mitigated.  The greatest reduction comes from limiting the number of possible paths any given Dupe could choose to take from one location to another to just a single navigable pathway.  Each time you remove a decision (take this Ladder or that one) you shorten the "equation" that the game has to run through in order to determine the path a Dupe will take.  In that regard, Transit Tubes are probably the most efficient way to reduce the Dupe portion of the path finding load.

Unfortunately, you're kind of stuck with relation to Critters.  The only way to minimize Critter path finding load is to minimize the number of Critters.  This will have negative impacts on your base, primarily in the form of limiting your sustainable Dupe count, since Ranching is a significantly stronger food source than Farming.  It will also delay any activities you may wish to pursue on the Surface, because Bunker Tiles require Steel to be built, and to manufacture Steel, you need Lime.  Lime can, for the time being, only be produced by processing Egg Shells in the Rock Granulator, and Egg Shells are only produced by Critters.  You are also cutting yourself out of the loop on a number of resources that can only be renewed through Critters.  Algae is a finite resource if you do not use Pufts to make Slime, and process that Slime in the Distiller.  Coal is a finite resource if you do not feed Hatches.  Phosporite is finite if you do not keep Dreckos.

3 hours ago, erso said:

Hi,

I'm interested in what's currently having a negative impact on performance / frame rate (and how much).
The reason is: I want to avoid these points as much as possible when starting a new game.

Can you share sys specs and an FPS screenshot example from ONI?
I have an old i 2500 k and ONI runs fine.
Edit: Changes sometimes between patches..

I've had logic gates issues - multiple logic gates switching fast cause crashes.

Here's a bug report for it - note the NOT gate is switching ~10 times per second. That means each gate afterwards is also switching with that speed.

Note that I just tried switching sound off and it still crashes, so it's not the sound, it's probably the fast switching that causes the crash.

So having many logic gates that switch very fast is a bad thing.

Over 9000 storage lockers witch all of the content exchanging temperature with the gas it is in.

So I'm around 750+ cycles in, new map with EU patch. The whole map was revealed and accessible Regolith was around 29,000 ton. There is probably more on bunker surface and unacceptable/mine able areas.

I had around 105+ storage lockers all top full with 20t of random stuff each. The base was filled with oxygen.

FPS on average was 1x speed ~28, 2x speed ~18 and 3x speed ~10

As i moved forward with my build plan and made my base in vacuum, I've noticed ~10 FPS gain on most of speeds.

Also, if you cant keep your storage in vacuum you can also try and sort it with 1 element per box, this way it makes it easy on the math.

@PhailRaptor Thanks for the path-finding insight, informative.

20180803170222_1.thumb.jpg.65752bbcc8c5975033144ba217ea4acd.jpg

4 hours ago, Oozinator said:

image.thumb.png.a02542a953070840179d808099856e51.png

My ingame fps are between 63 and 43 depending on cicles played.

___

I had already thought of sorting liquids/gas/solids, but I wouldn't have come up with reducing the possible paths of the dupes or reducing the automation logic. Thanks

I haven't tested it but I read several places that keeping only one kind of item per storage container also helps (ie one storage for granite, one for egg shells, one for algae etc.) maybe because of the temp issue? I've started doing it on all my bases and it does seem to help once my base gets huge. 

1 hour ago, erso said:

image.thumb.png.a02542a953070840179d808099856e51.png

My ingame fps are between 63 and 43 depending on cicles played.

___

I had already thought of sorting liquids/gas/solids, but I wouldn't have come up with reducing the possible paths of the dupes or reducing the automation logic. Thanks

Ty, but everything above 25 FPS is playable?
43 FPS should be fine (no lag)?

7 hours ago, Oozinator said:

Hi @Oozinator!

Can you help me?

These are the technical specifications of my laptop and I play at very low fps.
I do not know how many, like 15-20 fps (some cycles even lower), because I deactivate the steam interface while I play to improve performance a bit, but even the announcements (those that appear below the clock) appear with a very slow animation. I have about 30 cycles cleaning everything that is lying on the floor to see if it improves a little.
Maybe I'll leave the game open for about 100 cycles until they clean up the asteroid, hahaha.

I annex my current colony with 900+ cycles, just in case I'm doing something really bad. :(

Thank you very much.

I hope you can do something about it, haha.

Información del equipo:
    Fabricante: Acer
    Modelo: Aspire E5-575G
    Factor de forma: Portátil
    Entrada táctil no detectada

Información sobre el procesador:
    Fabricante de la CPU: GenuineIntel
    Marca de la CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz
    Familia de la CPU: 0x6
    Modelo de la CPU: 0x8e
    Stepping de la CPU: 0x9
    Tipo de CPU: 0x0
    Velocidad: 2712 MHz
    Procesadores lógicos: 4
    Procesadores físicos: 2
    HyperThreading:  Compatible
    FCMOV:  Compatible
    SSE2:  Compatible
    SSE3:  Compatible
    SSSE3:  Compatible
    SSE4a:  No compatible
    SSE41:  Compatible
    SSE42:  Compatible
    AES: Compatible
    AVX: Compatible
    CMPXCHG16B: Compatible
    LAHF/SAHF: Compatible
    PrefetchW: No compatible

Versión del sistema operativo:
    Windows 10 (64 bits)
    NTFS:  Compatible
    Códigos Criptográficos del Proveedor: Compatible 311 0x0 0x0 0x0

Tarjeta de vídeo:
    Controlador:  NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
    Nombre del controlador de DirectX: nvd3dum.dll
    Versión del controlador: 21.21.13.7654
    Versión del controlador de DirectX: 21.21.13.7654
    Fecha del controlador: 12 de 29 de 2016
    Versión de OpenGL: 4.5
    Densidad de color del escritorio: 32 bits por píxel
    Frecuencia de actualización del monitor: 60 Hz
    Tarjeta DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
    Identificador del fabricante: 0x10de
    Identificador del dispositivo: 0x134d
    Revisión: 0xa2
    Número de monitores: 1
    Número de tarjetas de vídeo lógicas: 1
    No se ha detectado ninguna interfaz SLI o Crossfire
    Resolución de pantalla principal: 1920 x 1080
    Resolución de escritorio: 1920 x 1080
    Tamaño de la pantalla principal: 13.54" x 7.60" (15.51" diag)
 34.4cm x 19.3cm (39.4cm diag)
    Bus principal: PCI Express 4x
    Memoria VRAM principal: 2047 MB
    Modos MSAA compatibles: 2x 4x 8x 

Tarjeta de sonido:
    Dispositivo de sonido: Speakers (Realtek High Definiti

Memoria:
    RAM:  8060 Mb

Varios:
    Idioma de la IU:  Español
    Tipo de soporte: DVD
    Espacio total en disco disponible: 957991 MB
    Bloque libre más grande en el disco: 684774 MB
    Fecha de instalación del SO: Dec 31 1969
    Mando de juego: None detectado(s)
    HMD de RV: Ninguno detectado

SAVE FILE:
GAL 914.sav

@Mr.Trueba

I looked over your specs, and at first everything looked fine for me. 

Then i found the bottleneck of your system. Its the TDP (Thermal design power) of your CPU. Its designed for 15W max. Thats near to... lets say not much. Your CPU ist only a dual core, with hyperthreading (virtual cores). I do not know how much ONI gains from HT, but in fact, you have 2 phyiscal cores. 

So, you have a rather weak dualcore, or a mediocre 4-core CPU (depending on what ONI utilizes) but it will slow itself down massively, when it reaches max-TDP. 

I run ONI on a 3 year older i5 (4 physical cores), and yes it goes to the limit with huge bases (unplayable with active logging in alpha-previews)

And my CPU has ~30 to 35% more power than yours, and can run on 65W TDP without throttelling. 

One thing i could not determine clearly, ist the usage of your video-chips RAM. If its dedicated RAM, thats okay. But if it takes its 2 gigabyte from your systems memory, this one will be reduced to 6 gigabytes. And that may have also a huge impact.

The GPU itselt should be powerful enough. Roughly but okay. 

So, if i´m not heavily mistanken, your moibile CPU ist just not really suitable to run ONI.

49 minutes ago, Mr.Trueba said:

Hi @Oozinator!

Can you help me?

I would like to do, but Sharra said something smart about TDP. ONI seems to run fine on one single core, with high "power".
Your base runs at my side with 17FPS (nice massive base), but it feels laggy like breakdance.
^^
I dunno if it's hot at your location, but effective cooling could catch some FPS back these days, when it comes to processor heavy based games (not gpu).

17.thumb.PNG.a0819cf987ef8b57943c68e078174f6c.PNG

cool.thumb.PNG.9f7343b543308f9cf03654b170433617.PNG

@SharraShimada Thanks for the review.
Yes, maybe my PC is not the most appropriate for this game. :(
Honestly, I did not think that the CPU was not so good when I bought it.

@Oozinator Yes, it actually heats up after half an hour of use, so I have a base to cool down. In fact, it looks like the one in the photo, hahaha. Yes, it's like a feet cooler.

Thanks for the compliment to the base. I am not a pro in this, so I built and destroyed everything many, many times. :D 

I do not know if I will continue advancing. I already killed all the mobs and I have 60 cycles running the game in background to sweep everything .
It all started when I built this!
image.thumb.png.af6e6d1d0ee3b319bda599fe022689bb.png

And I could not even begin to build my base outside the asteroid or my pacus farm yet.

But as you can see, I downloaded "FRAPS" and now I can see the fps in the game.

As @Scorpio King, at maximum speed my game suffers much more and drops to 8-10fps.

Lessons for all who read this post:
1. If you play on a potato, do not build large stables. A lot of construction, mobs, cables and rails everywhere. Just do not do it.
2. Do not have much faith in a $ 500 PC, hahaha.

P.S. At least I was able to play the witcher 3 with the graphics on low (but actually my little skilled eyes did not suffer, hahaha). :D

Thanks for your reply! When I sweep the entire floor, better the routes to transport and reduce the pumps / pipes / logical systems, I will tell you if there is an improvement in performance.

1 hour ago, Mr.Trueba said:

But as you can see, I downloaded "FRAPS" and now I can see the fps in the game.

You don't need to download anything to see fps in any steam game.

Open steam. Go to settings. In-game tab(the 4th?). Look at the center of your screen. Fps for top, button, left right.

ONI runs best on a single core via turbo boost at 4-8 GHz on that single core. If the cpu has more than 10MB Level3 cache, that will help a lot. Pc without case, cpu delidded, 1kg aircooler, water or hydrogen cooling of the core. I7 or I9 cpus. I7 6700k 7700k 8700k or I9 series.

1_3kilo cooler for ONI.jpg

I wish I was joking haha. I built a single core performer for ONI. :?

Cities Skylines and Warthunder are also single core cpu games and run well on the oni pc, the difference with those 2 games is that they also put heavy load on to the graphic card.

For best performance on these 3 games titles, buy one of the top 10 listed single thread cpus:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Its not only comparing the passmark value of cpus against each other, the larger level 1/2/3 cache of the top cpus in the list are much larger compared to casual gaming cpus - ONI benefits greatly from those large cpu cache sizes.

Just now, babba said:

I wish I was joking haha. I built a single core performer for ONI.

Cities Skylines and Warthunder are also single core cpu games and run well on the oni pc, the difference with those 2 games is that they also put heavy load on to the graphic card.

Is ONI lagging on the XBox too?
Would be cheaper then such a system?

Archived