Jump to content

Light penetration through different elements


Recommended Posts

I couldn't help but notice some of my solar panels weren't hitting peak capacity at midday, it appeared that tiles of polluted oxygen floating around my solar room were blocking the light. Forgive me if this is old news, but I searched and didn't find previous mentions of it, it's also not covered in R9MX4's excellent Oni Meteorology post. I think perhaps the community has somewhat neglected solar power after it was so poorly received in the testing branch, but in live right now, it's actually really viable and indeed my whole base is 100% powered through an automated solar farm. 

Light.thumb.png.231e1c2f02a7dcb9a9ce520ecd5dc5a6.png

 

From left to right, the elements through which the light is passing through and the loss in lux observed per tile:

  1. Glass        10%
  2. Oxygen      0%
  3. Hydrogen   0%
  4. PO2          25%
  5. Nat Gas    25%
  6. CO2          50%
  7. Water        25%
  8. PH2O       70%
  9. Petrol       80%
  10. Oil          100%

Note that the game calculates the lux loss based on the peak lux available on the map at the time. E.g. at midday with 80,000 lux, one glass tile will drop the lux below it by about 8000 lux (80,000*10%) to 72,000 lux. If the tile underneath it is PO2, then the lux with drop by approx (80,000*25%) or 20,000, not (72,000*25%) as you might expect. 

I tested the density of the gas and it had no effect.

So with my solar setup, every panel was under two layers of glass and there was a couple of tiles of PO2 floating around, worst case scenario, two of the PO2 tiles would stack on top of each other, combined with the glass lux loss, would cut 70% of the power to the bottom row of the panel's receiver. 

Short story from this analysis is that if you want to have a pressurized room for your solar panels, only fill it with oxygen or hydrogen, anything else will reduce the time spent at maximum wattage. To run a pressurized panel room however, you will need bunker doors and two layers of glass like this here (three tier approach). Personally, I think I'll change from the three tier approach, to a two tier approach that leaves out the second layer of glass and runs the panels in a vacuum. I'll cool them from below through metal tiles, and by skipping the second layer of glass, it will increase the total available lux to the panels from 80% to 90%. 

Edit:

Currently heat conduction between buildings in vacuum doesn't work. I recommend building your solar farm as a 3-tier to start and transferring to a 2-tier once cooled since cooling from below doesn't work. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Neat.

After hearing the horror stories of overheating solar panels from the test branch, I've ignored space entirely.  Seeing that you can soak the panels in cold hydrogen without any loss in luminosity is great news. Free power is most certainly worth the investment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Yucie said:

After hearing the horror stories of overheating solar panels from the test branch, I've ignored space entirely.  Seeing that you can soak the panels in cold hydrogen without any loss in luminosity is great news. Free power is most certainly worth the investment.

Just a small addition: Solar panels don´t produce heat in their current implementation. (You can use solar panels in a vacuume)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

Wow that`s exactly what i needed. Now i can make a relax room with sunlight and not fear about sunburn. Just takes some water between glass tiles. Big thanks.

When is it they get sunburn, and when is it they get the 'Bright and cheery' bonus? It'd be nice if you could manage that sort of thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

A lucky metroid just gave me the answer to your question:

Phosphorus liquid/gas both block 100% of the incomming light

It has light in description, but its not glowing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, _Q_ said:
54 minutes ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

A lucky metroid just gave me the answer to your question:

Phosphorus liquid/gas both block 100% of the incomming light

It has light in description, but its not glowing.

Would love if klei would introduce phosphorescence, so we could use it like nightlights^^

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Alfons100 said:

When is it they get sunburn, and when is it they get the 'Bright and cheery' bonus? It'd be nice if you could manage that sort of thing.

There was a post explaining when they get sunburn with the exact values (i can`t find it currently). All i remember is that cutting the sunlight by about 50% removed the sunburn danger." Bright and cheerful" was still safe but "intesly bright" would cause a sunburn after a while.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

There was a post explaining when they get sunburn with the exact values (i can`t find it currently). All i remember is that cutting the sunlight by about 50% removed the sunburn danger." Bright and cheerful" was still safe but "intesly bright" would cause a sunburn after a while.

Ah. That makes sense. Thank you, now I got a new project in mind..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
×
  • Create New...