Introduction of Monsters or Enemies

Would be nice to have monsters lurking in the asteroid that can launch assaults on your base the deeper/further you get. They could damage your building or steal your food.

The counter this you would need to have weapons i.e. laser guns. Set up automated turrets etc.

The combat skill could be utilised more for this by combat training so part of the tech tree would have things like:

Shooting Range, Punchbags

Various weapons tech. pistol, beam laser, heavy beam laser, small turret, large turret, land mines etc.

I think calling them monsters is a bit extreme, maybe calling them pests would be better. I mean we have critters which give us useful things etc. But it would be nice to have random spawning critters which do the opposite, they might eat metal wires, they might steal food, consume oxygen etc and give nothing in return

I think any critter in the game should be useful in some way. But some should be hard to tame. I can inagine a critter that`s agressive and attacks dupes when they come close. Maybe you`d need a seasoned rancher to wrangle one and it would take a while to tame so early on it would be sort of a path blocker (think like the Tallbird from Don`t Starve tied to a location).

Some of the current creatures could be called pests already. A morb doesn`t do anything useful unless you need polluted oxygen a wild drecko can eat your mealwood if it wanders to your farm. A hatch can eat food on the ground or some valuable rocks. All of them are pests if you don`t manage them.

23 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

I think any critter in the game should be useful in some way.

But then we are just going to end up with the ability to get everything we ever need from critters one way or another. 

There needs to be something going against the player, something that is out of the players hand, not something that it can tame and then skip together hand in hand.

Also morbs are useful, free oxygen all you need to do is cool it a bit. But the other scenarios are not really pests. if you have a clean floor then none of that happens. And if its your mealwood I think that isnt a big train smash XD but we need something that the player has to deal with, so maybe that cute wee rat like thing likes to gnaw on exposed pipes and cables. the shockworm might be attracted to electricity and cause overloads(Mating) as well as shocking threats

7 hours ago, landromat said:

You mean shockworms?

rekt.gif.55ca2063b3befcbe2f86682c5f0fd85

Wait is this something that used to be in the game? Or datamined?

Actually even if those are extremely hostile maybe you could use them as a sort of energy source if you manage to lock them somewhere. They should have a lifecycle allowing you to collect the eggs giving you some sort of control over them rather than needing to just get rid of them.

7 hours ago, BlueLance said:

But then we are just going to end up with the ability to get everything we ever need from critters one way or another. 

There needs to be something going against the player, something that is out of the players hand, not something that it can tame and then skip together hand in hand.

I`mnot saying everything should be helpful or that you need to use critters to get all the stuff. I think critters being useful in some way but difficult to utilise would be a good thing. Some of the critters might be really difficult to get some value of and you`d rather kill them off. Like you don`t need to use dreckos for plastic but it`s an option. I fully expect more drecko morphs soon btw.

If this is done, please let it only be in certain game modes.  I'm playing ONI, not Terraria or Factorio.  I like how 'science' - heat levels and resource management - are our enemies in this game, rather than mobs.

That said, I can't help but notice how useful Stone and Smooth Hatches could be for combat, with their heightened HP totals...

1 hour ago, JahwsUF said:

If this is done, please let it only be in certain game modes.  I'm playing ONI, not Terraria or Factorio.  I like how 'science' - heat levels and resource management - are our enemies in this game, rather than mobs.

That said, I can't help but notice how useful Stone and Smooth Hatches could be for combat, with their heightened HP totals...

Why does people always draw comparisons to other games when decrying the possible inclusion of aggressive creatures in ONI?  No one ever does this with other features.  No one said during the Outbreak Upgrade "this game is about heat and resource management, leave the diseases to Rimworld!"  I don't get it.

If you dig carelessly, you can enrage an hatch or multiple ones (digging up the tile their buried inside)

=> The hatches will be agressiv and could kill your dupe ...

(PS: Mobs are resources for a long time now, or what would you call our lovely critters that transform some other resources ?)

11 minutes ago, goboking said:

Why does people always draw comparisons to other games when decrying the possible inclusion of aggressive creatures in ONI?  No one ever does this with other features. 

Ok, I am one of the guys that want to minimze critter usage inside their base, but I see no good reason to NOT include more agressiv critters.

(It´s not like we are talking about something like including a "creeper"(minecraft) or some other building/tile destroying creature. )

=> I would love some more critter with conditional agression (Maybe let critters enrage if you dig up their food source or something like that)

1 hour ago, goboking said:

Why does people always draw comparisons to other games when decrying the possible inclusion of aggressive creatures in ONI?  No one ever does this with other features.  No one said during the Outbreak Upgrade "this game is about heat and resource management, leave the diseases to Rimworld!"  I don't get it.

As for diseases, they honestly make sense - they're not random, like in Rimworld, but are instead a directly visible simulated layer within the world we can control and predict.  They reproduce and can be handled in a science-like way.  Diseases in ONI are nothing like in Rimworld - it's all in how it's handled.

As for random aggressive creatures seeking to destroy my base - that sounds exactly like the role of enemies from those other games.  I'm not interested in yet another base/tower defense game, even when complicated by these resource chains.  I want the resource chains and their implications themselves to be the focus.

i wouldn't mind the occasional agessive critter as long as it's part of the ecosystem and you dodn't fin them inhe startng ecosystem

Pirates, monsters and any otherform of hreats that would kee launhing aasult sjut for the sake of beig an enemy.. .; maybe.. depends how it's implemented and which oher changes to make it work. Dout it'll hapen tho

8 hours ago, JahwsUF said:

As for random aggressive creatures seeking to destroy my base

That is a pretty bold statement, we are invading their asteroid it is theirs not yours, of course some critters would be angry and attack, I mean yo go and sit with a bunch of gorillas/lions/sharks and start destroying their home and please lemme know how you fair. 

It is perfectly logical for there to be critters who will attack you. You are the invader of their home, yo have to deal with that

Sacrificing precious resources to setup and train small army for "Defending the base" ( whatever that could mean in terms of threat to the colony ), would be cool. Manufacturing of arms & ammunition, the close combat profession ( Karate Dupe ) and incoming threats which the player can prepare for with an little ( and costly ) troop setup. Arms,Steel & Explosives - Who wouldnt like the idea ? Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I want I want !

10 hours ago, BlueLance said:

It is perfectly logical for there to be critters who will attack you. You are the invader of their home, yo have to deal with that

I will say that I was perfectly fine with the old Hatch behavior - you dug up their home, they start attacking you there.  It was tied to an action I did and was for that moment.  I wrecked their (local) home and they fought back.

What I don't want:  unprovoked, indiscriminant waves of attacks from critters for simply existing in the asteroid.

31 minutes ago, JahwsUF said:

What I don't want:  unprovoked, indiscriminant waves of attacks from critters for simply existing in the asteroid.

Then you'd better pony up with that protection money, because Blackbeard's minions are coming to collect.

g3YoHK8.jpg

How about critters defending their territoty from greedy dupes that want to eat their food and steal rock from which they build their homes?

2 hours ago, JahwsUF said:

I will say that I was perfectly fine with the old Hatch behavior - you dug up their home, they start attacking you there.  It was tied to an action I did and was for that moment.  I wrecked their (local) home and they fought back.

What I don't want:  unprovoked, indiscriminant waves of attacks from critters for simply existing in the asteroid

I would like some agressive response if I start collecting/stealing their eggs  ;)

Critters being aggressive and you know... wild, would also give meaning to the negative "Duplicant can't do: Combat" trait which is ironically a positive trait given combat means nothing at the moment.

Stealing eggs and disturbing critters should provoke some response that requires a dupe to fight or flee.  Having a pest critter who sees your material as food and fights to obtain it wouldn't be unusual, given this is a hostile environment and it's survival of the fittest.

Look at aggressive critters from the angle of game design.  Right now both Care and Combat are woefully underutilized features.  The former is trivialized by the ease with which we can circumvent disease and the latter is useful only in cases of culling critter numbers if we don't automate our ranches to do so for us.

Having aggressive critters means dupes can suffer injuries.  This, in turn, means the Med Cot and the Care ability now serve a practical function.  Now take that a step further and we get things like a Doctor job, medical-related stations, new consumables, etc.

Having aggressive critters also creates a need to deal with these threats.  This means the Combat skill is made relevant.  But consider other additions this could pave the way for.  We could manufacture body armor at a new station in a new room (an Armory).  We could research weapon upgrades that allow us to dispatch these threats quicker and from a safer distance.  We could set patrol routes or even protect our colony with automated defense turrets.

Now consider the way aggressive or nuisance critters could challenge the way you play the game.  How are you going to protect your pacifist miner from aggressive shockworms unearned by your digging projects?  How are you going to keep pesky volgus (volgi?) from chewing up your exposed wires or burrowing into your colony to raid your larder?  These are challenges I welcome with open arms.

It would also be interesting if certain types of creatures feed off the different types of Geysers so in order to take control of the Geyser you need to fight for them.

This would make it more exciting finally getting control of that cool Steam Geyser and also give you a sense of dread when you unearth one knowing  that you may have disturbed something and you hadn't researched your Armoury or any weapons yet.

I hadn't pictured in my mind a tower defence game I just wanted there to be a feeling of reward when you finally get a resource you desperately need.

I also though that with there being creatures, whether they were ancient androids left over by the previous civilisation, experiments gone wrong in ancient unearthed labs or geyser dwellers etc they would also drop weapons, ancient armour, epic resources etc.

Archived