Simple 16 x 4 room designs

I like to build symmetrical bases and have settled on a play style I always use on ONI

The rooms I make are 16 x 4 making them 64 tiles total.  Each floor has 4 airflow tiles spread evenly with 4 normal tiles between.  The doors are one tile off the floor to prevent spills should any dupe make a mess

5b2487f9538af_blankroom.thumb.jpg.06300d69ddd559e9a40dcaa95c472577.jpg

I usually start from the printing pod and make it my first room.  All other rooms are built around it with 2 tile gaps for both ladders, fire poles, and storage compactors 

5b248874c8e5c_Roomlayout.thumb.jpg.e7366299c2ef0e04ea588753c1266d15.jpg

Here's a list of all my room designs along with their upgraded versions

Printing pod room, as it's the center of my base I place algae deoxydizers here.  I also due research as well as place the job boards here.

5b24894feb8c0_printpod1.thumb.jpg.3b1a473e22f74ef8cea67390fe6d1ee9.jpg

I upgrade it to a rec room later on

5b24897485b66_printpod2.thumb.jpg.34d76abeaa65b97463ba89797796bba8.jpg

Here is the start of the bathroom

5b24899e02635_bathroom1.thumb.jpg.9f7590e073e98b56ad7e242f7d601113.jpg

Upgraded bathroom

5b2489b1b80e7_bathroom2.thumb.jpg.3aba7c278400c9cf77037e878b74d77e.jpg

The power room

5b2489e295987_power1.thumb.jpg.e929cdd56bae12c894140bf90185ede9.jpg

Upgraded power room

5b2489f398de8_power2.thumb.jpg.76d4aca17a40db8a83d7fa442bec0b21.jpg

The med bay

5b248a248ad1b_medbay1.thumb.jpg.e98992dcee0faee22ddb035bacc09932.jpg

Upgraded med bay

5b248a28415ac_medbay2.thumb.jpg.8669927ab71109329ef4d4f8a6308117.jpg

The mess hall

5b248becec578_messhall.thumb.jpg.0bb237ecd4bcf9e0e70d48ddb323eaa1.jpg

The barracks

5b248a5711e8c_Baracks1.thumb.jpg.efb1243b9b8556e6af03e86a90c81c91.jpg

These barracks are easy to adjust for snoring dupes by moving one cot to the center.  As you can see the snoring dupe isn't waking the others from the noise

5b248a5d96ac0_Baracks1night.thumb.jpg.0b04808d330eaff24e84f1fcd0472013.jpg

And finally the upgraded barracks, the comfy beds are evenly spaced so any snoring dupes won't disturb their neighbor 

5b248a60e04ba_baracks2.thumb.jpg.dcfb48bebe7c2cdf4d76a89a58200372.jpg

Nice! I use this basic room layout for all the rooms in my base. Also, you can stack two of those doors atop each other and keep them open to keep the area a room and maximize airflow and minimize dupe waiting time while the door opens or they have to hop up on that one tile. I know that you make it like that for the mess that dupes may make, but simply make one of these rooms full of latrines (and a sink or two of course) and you should never have any of your dupes making any messes in your base. (as long as your pipes don't get backed up)  Keep up the good layouts!

2 minutes ago, AnotherBoris said:

Because of this unlikely event, do all duplicants have to lose time to jump this step all the time? A very strange decision.

Not significantly. The opening and closing of a door slows a Dupe down more than the step with an open door. 

Just now, beowulf2010 said:

Not significantly. The opening and closing of a door slows a Dupe down more than the step with an open door. 

Doors can just be left open, the rooms from this will not cease to be rooms. But on all the steps they will slow down. Yes a little. But why? Even if duplicant made a mess, what would it break?

Just now, AnotherBoris said:

Doors can just be left open, the rooms from this will not cease to be rooms. But on all the steps they will slow down. Yes a little. But why? Even if duplicant made a mess, what would it break?

To contain the messes that may be made. I dunno, I just kinda like the look too. 

Maybe if I took the time to put metal tiles everywhere I'd want to save the dupe time, but as it is, I don't really notice the slight slowdown. 

3 minutes ago, AnotherBoris said:

Even if duplicant made a mess, what would it break?

It depends on what you have situated where.  It could be disastrous if you have an open tank of clean Water below, for example.  It's also just a pain to clean up, because it tends to spread out pretty far.  This creates a large area where your Dupes will get Soggy Feet, and the larger the area the more chances per second there will be for it to offgas into P-O2.

Yeah I was using this 64 room size since room are introduced, And I always have space between ladder and door for spamming Canvas.

*Because I tend to play with high difficult setting.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.8478afad80f956ecc9762ff304048c34.png

But in CU I use 96 room size, result is better dupe can have personal suit, toilet, and own room water lock.

*I was trying to make whole map full with random gas and safe-zone is your own room.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.463bb929eeaf7414eb639986921e151b.png

And, frankly, I do not trust the designs painted in sandbox mode. This tells us that the person himself did not play it. Did not check how it works, did not see the inherent design flaws. He just drew something and does not bear any responsibility for it.

6 minutes ago, PhailRaptor said:

It could be disastrous if you have an open tank of clean Water below, for example. 

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. Use a thoughtful design for everything, and then build an open water tank right under the base. Maybe all the same it makes sense to think with your head over ALL parts of the design? And can it be easier to close the dangerous zone once than to divide hundreds of steps into safe ones? Moreover, they still do not guarantee security - they can make a mess and on the stairs too. So where are the inter-level anti-vomit barriers?

10 minutes ago, SackMaggie said:

Just spam Canvas.

Heh. I generally use extremely easily destroyed by any liquid on the floor of improved airlocks.

My_Common_Base.png

Especially dangerous in this respect is the lower airlock. The ladder next to him goes to space and any water from the cold biome, falling from above, breaks me airlock. And nothing. I somehow lived 150 cycles, and I would have lived three times more. if not a stupid bug with pipes. Therefore, it is strange to me to see such a thorough tug to the fact that the duplicants will be vomit. Have you tried, at least in theory, to figure out how to make sure that they are not vomit?

Offtop: how to create hidden elements ("Reveal hidden contents") here? "Spoiler' button?

6 hours ago, AnotherBoris said:

And, frankly, I do not trust the designs painted in sandbox mode. This tells us that the person himself did not play it. Did not check how it works, did not see the inherent design flaws. He just drew something and does not bear any responsibility for it.

I do play the game myself, and I did not use sandbox mode.  It's called debug mode.

Trial and error is how I came up with the design, sometimes dupes make a mess when I'm not paying attention (vomit or piss) which is why I came up with it and most water from the starter biome end up at the bottom before I am able to set up a permanent reservoir. 

It's true once I get the colony to work the way I want it to they never make a mess again which is why these are "simple starter rooms" I don't build them for end game content

Only reason why I used debug here is to take good screenshots

6 hours ago, AnotherBoris said:

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. Use a thoughtful design for everything, and then build an open water tank right under the base. Maybe all the same it makes sense to think with your head over ALL parts of the design? And can it be easier to close the dangerous zone once than to divide hundreds of steps into safe ones? Moreover, they still do not guarantee security - they can make a mess and on the stairs too. So where are the inter-level anti-vomit barriers?

I don't understand.  You asked for a reason why you would build a room the way Neotuck demonstrated.  I gave you a valid if limited reason.  You then fly off the handle like I've just sprouted a second head.

10 minutes ago, PhailRaptor said:

I don't understand.  You asked for a reason why you would build a room the way Neotuck demonstrated.  I gave you a valid if limited reason.  You then fly off the handle like I've just sprouted a second head.

Oh ... It's hard to explain with my English.

1) These steps are a way to avoid an rare event. But at the same time they constantly do a little harm (reducing the speed of duplicants). I, as a technician, know that such things only harm to any devices. Any complication of the system is only a source of new mistakes.

2) On the other hand, I ask what the maximum harm can still be inflicted in the event of the onset of our event. And it turns out that this harm is not done here. And, again, the question arises: why is protection not in the place where the event can do harm, but in a pile of places where it will not harm? This, again, a very strange technical solution.

And what do we have as a result? These steps do not protect what they should protect, but they interfere where they could not interfere. Is this an idea that is too complicated to understand?

2 minutes ago, AnotherBoris said:

Is this an idea that is too complicated to understand?

Not to understand, no.  But it's rather puzzling that you're applying such a strict min/max thought process to something as simple as how someone measures and divides their rooms while they are setting up on a new map.  It's not like we're blueprinting a carefully balanced Oil Boiler or an industrial scale Liquid Oxygen Maker, where precision is critically important.

More importantly, you've come off with an extremely superior tone through this entire thread.  It's as though you're talking down to everyone.

Just now, PhailRaptor said:

More importantly, you've come off with an extremely superior tone through this entire thread.  It's as though you're talking down to everyone.

Oh ... I'm speaking through an google translator. And I do not know exactly how it sounds. Forgive me if somehow not so.

As for the approach, I think you are wrong. I have nothing against the design of the interior parts of the rooms. But these steps ... they just catch your eye. Tell me why you can not just put one liquid collector at the bottom of each ladder, instead of putting them in each room? It's simple! This is not synchrophasotron!

52 minutes ago, Grimgaw said:

Well, once you stop cooking with water (and that's only if your only water supply is below your rooms) the steps are pointless and only a hindrance.  

But such a minor hinderence that we have literally spent more time discussing it than the dupes use going up and down the step in each of the rooms. :D

Archived