Simple 16 x 4 room designs

@AnotherBoris, I totally agree with you on the 1 tile high door - it creates more problems than it solves.

I find using 2 doors better - they cost less materials(50kg/square) + provide better ventilation.

On 6/16/2018 at 6:03 AM, Neotuck said:

Upgraded bathroom

5b2489b1b80e7_bathroom2.thumb.jpg.3aba7c278400c9cf77037e878b74d77e.jpg

Now think about this room for a second.

• It provides bonus for 3 toilets.

However,

• It does not give a shower bonus?
  • a dupe visiting a shower must pass 6/7 more buildings than the minimum(0)
  • a dupe visiting a bathroom must pass 3-5 more buildings than the minimum(0 or on average 0.5 )

Here is what I think is a nice bathroom setup(except the bottom right tile due to space constraints):

5b5c0d9976bda_publicbathroom.thumb.png.f15fbc92b1c581c0c638a640e682d9cf.png

• accessible - close to main ladder/firepole
  • small - that allows more of those to be spread throughout the base, decreasing average dupe travel time to visit a bathroom
  • not cluttered with showers. Traveling distance:
    • from the right - 0 buildings
    • from the left - 1 building

If you want to see it out of context, here's my base - https://ibb.co/csRHw8, that's Cycle 177, if you're curious, 60 dupes, 0 deaths.

I'm not saying I'm following my advice completely. In fact, base design isn't easy and I have an example of what I consider "bad" that I just recently built in the bottom right - a huge bathroom with many showers. I shouldn't have done that. However, if you think logically about it, having the bathrooms small and spread out, and the showers possibly close by, but separately, might be a better solution, since it will reduce dupe travel time to showers and bathrooms.

Ask yourself - to build, or not to build?

• If I don't do nice bathrooms, will stress actually increase? In other words, do I really need the stress relief factor of bathrooms?

If dupes are happy even without nice bathrooms, then you actually don't need to make nice bathrooms. Instead, you can focus their energy on more important tasks, such as farming/ranching/researching/securing geysers.

Of course, nice bathrooms help, but in my opinion making the bathrooms far away in the beginning of the game is a bad decision, since it wastes precious dupe time.

Proper job management

If you keep your dupes on low-expectation jobs you won't need to deal with stress => you can leave the bathroom design for later.

In my experience, as long as you keep your base with relatively 0 stress, you shouldn't have many issues.

Exceptions:

• bedrooms where you can spam paintings & flowers
  • "workstations", such as cooking or hamster wheels(or ranches? Although critters already provide +decor), where you expect dupes to spend a lot of time, can have decor boosts around them
  • Power generation area will probably have negative decor, just isolate it so dupes don't see it that much - problem solved.

Therefore, you should really separate the idea of stress relieve rooms from other rooms that give different kinds of benefits(e.g. power plant - more power, greenhouse - more food). After that, when you consider the extra room/resources required for the stress relief bonus, ask yourself - is it really worth the trouble?

The same goes for showers, lavatories, recreation room, barracks, mess hall.

GIven that you get 100% resources when deconstructing, I think having an ugly small early base is better, as it decreases travel time. Afterwards you can rebuild each part properly when the right time comes - when you have sufficient research + resources + space.

Also, EU now rewards one for small spreadout johns: sink + lavatory in one room gives "washroom". i don't embed showers in latrines either, preferring to use the extra space for another entrance, sink, and lavatory.

I, too, have used the 4x16 model a lot. in these pics, i'm intrigued by two questions: on the verticals, the 1, 2, or 3-wide vertical hallway question, and the every-other 2-tall storage question.

vertically: i use 3-wides for what feels like better access to pipes and slightly better airflow. (i use @Lifegrow's standard airflow-around-corners and don't put airflows in the middle.) if we want to have some good flame-wars, advocate one way or another for 1, 2, or 3-wide. i'll throw the first stone: 3-wides are better because they let you put gas vents in the vertical columns. one has ladder, firepole, and blank, and the blank keeps me from using 4x16 space for vents.

stacking: i use the occasional 2-tall for storage, but it never occurred to me to commit to doing it every other 4-tall. how does that work out for folks? do you always, once-in-a-while, every two or three 4-tall's do that? i must admit when i finally want that much storage i get pretty annoyed that i have to dribble it here and there. on the other hand, centralizing such a constant-need resource seems like it might be it's own problem. as j get deeper into midgame, i want less and less "general" storage anyway.

(i put my doors at normal height, but i thought the exchange was comical until i understood that the critic was working through google translate, which reminds us all to take deep breaths.)

good designs, overall, and thanks for sharing them with us!

On 16/06/2018 at 7:57 AM, AnotherBoris said:

So where are the inter-level anti-vomit barriers?

you must not put the room on the exact same alignement, i use to make 2-3 vertical room with anti womit barrier and put the ladder in the middle of the next room to prevent vomit or pee, this methode have another avantage compare to a 90 tile up ladder, i use to see dupe walk 80 % of the ladder and drop all the thing they have to go to sleep, tired to loose dupe time to going recup down of my base the stuff they drop

On 16/06/2018 at 6:03 AM, Neotuck said:

The rooms I make are 18 x 4 making them 64 tiles total.

Reading through the comments here I'm surprised no one corrected you that 18 by 4 tiles is 72 tiles total.

I make 64 tile rooms everywhere because 64 is the maximum size of certain room types, recreation rooms for instance, and they are 16 by 4 tiles... so actually 64 tiles total.

5 hours ago, Saturnus said:

Reading through the comments here I'm surprised no one corrected you that 18 by 4 tiles is 72 tiles total.

I make 64 tile rooms everywhere because 64 is the maximum size of certain room types, recreation rooms for instance, and they are 16 by 4 tiles... so actually 64 tiles total.

these are 16 x 4 rooms, can't believe no one noticed after 2 months since I made this post! 

I edited the OP

4 hours ago, brockmasters said:

what purpose to the lights have? or is just for a little extra décor and make it look pretty?

Yes

5 hours ago, greenpheonix632 said:

Great hall design or recration room?

Ether, this post was before expression update

On 16/06/2018 at 6:03 AM, Neotuck said:

I like to build symmetrical bases and have settled on a play style I always use on ONI

The rooms I make are 16 x 4 making them 64 tiles total.  Each floor has 4 airflow tiles spread evenly with 4 normal tiles between.  The doors are one tile off the floor to prevent spills should any dupe make a mess

5b2487f9538af_blankroom.thumb.jpg.06300d69ddd559e9a40dcaa95c472577.jpg

I usually start from the printing pod and make it my first room.  All other rooms are built around it with 2 tile gaps for both ladders, fire poles, and storage compactors

Nice, must of the time i don't really like your creation (most of them made obviously with debug mode) but i love the way you put the storage, i always looking for a place to put it, and i can use this same place for my pipe, really a good idea. The room look like mine except for the airflow tile, i put 2 next to each other, i play with one for a long time and i see carbon dioxyde have sometime some trouble to go down.

Just an advice, alternate the room between floor, it's prevent dupe letting down material to the bottom of  your base when they stop working ( make 3-4 floor identical and the next 3-4 floor with an horizontal offset)

On 28/08/2018 at 4:46 PM, brockmasters said:

what purpose to the lights have? or is just for a little extra décor and make it look pretty?

On 28/08/2018 at 9:04 PM, Neotuck said:

Yes

Put a ground switch with a timer instead of the anti-flooding tile for your light, so you could have light on only when you have dupe inside the room (i hope dev will make an automation counter/decounter to be sure i have someone in the room) and you will save energy in every room with light

@Flydo I know most of my posts are done with debug mode and the reason for that is to take clean screenshots of the build without parts of the colony or map that is unrelated to the build shown in the picture.

The ground switch for lighting is a nice idea but I think hooking them up to a clock sensor would be easier, I can easily match the clock to the dupe's schedule

9 hours ago, Neotuck said:

@Flydo I know most of my posts are done with debug mode and the reason for that is to take clean screenshots of the build without parts of the colony or map that is unrelated to the build shown in the picture.

The ground switch for lighting is a nice idea but I think hooking them up to a clock sensor would be easier, I can easily match the clock to the dupe's schedule

Yes but sometimes some of your creation look not so easy to made in survival, but it's not the point, dev need some people play survival and other people debug and people using both too ;)

Sure for room like barrack, shower toilet, mess and recreationnal a simple clock sensor fit well cause it's always at the same time now (thank for the idea)

But for room with few access, ground switch with tempo is good and quite pretty, if you do it right

5 minutes ago, Flydo said:

Yes but sometimes some of your creation look not so easy to made in survival, but it's not the point, dev need some people play survival and other people debug and people using both too ;)

I do both, here's a quick screenshot of my new base I started to try out the latest update ;) 

No debug here :p

20180831194823_1.thumb.jpg.5cf947b6b81b8d3931702b190e17bca3.jpg

2 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

I do both, here's a quick screenshot of my new base I started to try out the latest update ;) 

No debug here :p

20180831194823_1.thumb.jpg.5cf947b6b81b8d3931702b190e17bca3.jpg

Really you need to alternate your floor about like this:

_____________            _____________            _____________            _____________            _____________           

_____________            _____________            _____________            _____________            _____________           

1 minute ago, Flydo said:

Really you need to alternate your floor about like this:

what and why?

8 hours ago, Neotuck said:

what?

Sorry don't take the time to make a picture before to fo, like this:

image.png.b37baea0e61232d232abaad441184770.png

8 hours ago, Neotuck said:

why?

Cause when the dupe stop working, they will drop the material they carry, and if you have a 80 tiles ladder, the material will fall 80 tiles lower, sometimes you don't take care, but some other times it's matter

3 hours ago, Flydo said:

Cause when the dupe stop working, they will drop the material they carry, and if you have a 80 tiles ladder, the material will fall 80 tiles lower, sometimes you don't take care, but some other times it's matter

a fair point

5 hours ago, Flydo said:

But... but... but what about OCD!!!!

Archived