My oil to natural gas boiler design

With fertilizer synthesizers no longer natural gas producers I began experimenting with oil boilers.  On this map I found a volcano next to an oil reservoir, and a slush geyser off screen I was able to use as coolant.

20180611181819_1.thumb.jpg.383af4450dda05b00189cf3e555cf1b9.jpg

Cold -10C polluted water comes in from the top right at 1000 g/s were it cools the second part of the natural gas on the right side of the gas chamber as well as the chamber with the 4 air pumps on top.  It then is sieved into fresh water and ends at the oil well.

Oil is pumped from under the oil well and adjust the flow rate at the liquid valve (90 g/s times number of natural gas gens you plan to supply) The oil is piped though the first half of the natural gas chamber cooling the gas while pre heating the oil.  Then it drips onto the hot tiles to be boiled into natural gas.  The gas flows back up though the chambers cooled by both the oil and polluted water until it reaches the air pumps at the top

5.thumb.png.c784d9f08f856ecc3a85f93727283918.png

Heat transfer from the magma is controlled by a hydro sensor.  If the hydro sensor detects any petroleum that has spilled over from the left then the metal tiles are too cold and the door closes transferring heat from the magma.

6.thumb.png.1dd351fd42f1cb2a770680fb443c82ae.png

Also the hydro sensor is connected to a NOT gate and Filter gate set to 120s.  This is so that if the petroleum that has spilled over has not evaporated in 2 minutes then the petroleum is cooling the metal tiles faster than the magma can heat it up.  This sends a signal to an OR gate.  An atmosphere sensor in the top right side of the gas chamber set to send a signal when gas pressure exceeds 5kg

When ether or both sensors turn on the oil pump turns off ether allowing the metal plates to heat up again or because there is too much gas produced and need to let the natural gas generators empty the chamber

The hydro sensor in the oil activates the liquid shutoffs when there is too much oil sending the extra water to a reservoir for storage

The atmosphere sensor in the oil well chamber opens a door when natural gas pressure is too high letting it flow into the main gas chamber to the right

7.thumb.png.750acf74ecf21832e50eb4d1e3b03edd.png

2 hours ago, Neotuck said:

The atmosphere sensor in the oil well chamber opens a door when natural gas pressure is too high letting it flow into the main gas chamber to the right

Why is there NatGas in that room?  Is it simply a defect as a result of building the room?  Since it's all Insulated Tiles around it (I'm assuming they are Abyssalite), there shouldn't be any heat issues there, so it could just as easily be O2 or whatever else, couldn't it?

[Edit] oh, right, the water lock would leak it from the Volcano itself.  Derp.  But that could be engineered around with a vacuum chamber of some description on that side.  Unless the Volcano chamber is already a vacuum...

14 hours ago, PhailRaptor said:

Why is there NatGas in that room?  Is it simply a defect as a result of building the room?  Since it's all Insulated Tiles around it (I'm assuming they are Abyssalite), there shouldn't be any heat issues there, so it could just as easily be O2 or whatever else, couldn't it?

[Edit] oh, right, the water lock would leak it from the Volcano itself.  Derp.  But that could be engineered around with a vacuum chamber of some description on that side.  Unless the Volcano chamber is already a vacuum...

Volcano is a vacuum to prevent heat loss though the water lock

Oil wells vent Nat gas when dupes vent them from overpressure

14 hours ago, Flydo said:

pretty impressive but not sure you can construct this in survival mode without trouble

I start with the water lock and use air pumps to create a vacuum. 

Then maintain the vacuum while dupes in exosuits dig and build the rest.

The trick is getting a vacuum around the volcano before it erupts or it will super heat the gas and melt the pump

Its impressive, reliable and easy to setup.

But your tempshift plates move heat to insulated tiles wasting magma. Your pW deletes most of The heat meaning you are not using the full potential of the ng to preheat oil wasting magma again.

This works great, but better can be possible.

I would suggest only deletion heat after it has preboiled your incoming oil.

1 hour ago, Carnis said:

Its impressive, reliable and easy to setup.

But your tempshift plates move heat to insulated tiles wasting magma. Your pW deletes most of The heat meaning you are not using the full potential of the ng to preheat oil wasting magma again.

This works great, but better can be possible.

I would suggest only deletion heat after it has preboiled your incoming oil.

I tried that but my pipes broke too often as the oil would boil before it reached the liquid vent

@Cheerio have you guys considered putting in a "plentiful home asteroid" or "bountiful geysers" option for the worldgen? I enjoy solving different problems in each map ie resource scarcity, but it seems some of the community dislikes it strongly.

13 minutes ago, Carnis said:

My goal is to process 10kg/sec. I cant waste heat.

2 problems

First I tried 2kg/s and the oil would cool the metal plates faster than the magma could heat it up.  While it's possible to run 10kg/s you will have to deal with downtime to allow the volcano to heat up again unless you find an alternative heat source hotter than a volcano (unlikely lol)

Second you only need 90g/s per generator (or less with smart batteries) 10kg/s could supply 111 gens and that's 88.8kW (heavy watt wire can only hold 20kW without overloading)

24 minutes ago, Carnis said:

My goal is to process 10kg/sec. I cant waste heat.

The biggest problem with that would be fine tuning it so that ONLY enough heat is used and the rest is conserved by the volcano.

You could mitigate the heat loss by sinking heat into the system, i.e use an aquatuner in oil to pump heat into the oil up to 120~ Degrees and then ejecting it (Preferably with a door+vacuum system) so that heat is not lost through the doors and into whats on the other side. You could also use a pump to use warm oil to cool down the hot natural gas, As long as it isnt too much heat it should be fine and that way you are transferring the lost heat in the natural gas into the oil which means you are wasting less of the volcanos heat.

If the objective is fuel for generators then wouldn't using heavy power consumers like aqua tuners seem redundant? 

Would the extra nat gas you are hoping for cover the power generators to power the aqua tuner?

And you can only preheat it up to 120C were just a few radiant pipes in the hot nat gas preheats it over 400C to 500C.  That doesn't drain the volcano.

9 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

If the objective is fuel for generators then wouldn't using heavy power consumers like aqua tuners seem redundant? 

Would the extra nat gas you are hoping for cover the power generators to power the aqua tuner?

And you can only preheat it up to 120C were just a few radiant pipes in the hot nat gas preheats it over 400C to 500C.  That doesn't drain the volcano.

I had meant on his requirement to get one working for 10kg/s.

If you have an aqua tuner set up already running you could use it submerged in oil which you later use for the purpose of oil boiling.

and correct I meant pre-heat the oil past 120 using the hot natural gas, that way you waste less of that precious heat.

Nothing wrong with your design I was just giving pointers to Carnis that might help him make the most of all the heat he/she can get

I still think 10kg/s is overkill

My end goal is 2kg/s which should be enough to supply 25 generators with smart batteries.  

That should give me the max 20 kW on a single heavy watt wire circuit

Then I can just power my whole colony on transformers

I'm looking at making oxygen from The natgas.

I had no problem making 10kg/sec gas. The oil is heated to 300 in goldpipes. Then release.

The problem is effectively heating it between 300-540 without stifling The process or cooling The magma toi much.

The other problem is pumping The gas out with 20 pumps. I could get 10-15 to run constantly nyt not 20.

3 minutes ago, Carnis said:

I'm looking at making oxygen from The natgas.

I had no problem making 10kg/sec gas. The oil is heated to 300 in goldpipes. Then release.

The problem is effectively heating it between 300-540 without stifling The process or cooling The magma toi much.

The other problem is pumping The gas out with 20 pumps. I could get 10-15 to run constantly nyt not 20.

Might have to make 2 boilers running together

How do you get oxygen from nat gas?

18 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

Might have to make 2 boilers running together

How do you get oxygen from nat gas?

Polluted water, boiler/sieve, water, electrolyzer.

Its very hard on a large scale.

I play with new dupe/3 cycles so growth needs to be though through. At 41 dupes now. Havent tapped to magma of my 2 minor volcanoes yet.

Already burning all my ng for water, ignoring the Power.

5 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

Wouldn't it be easier to find a world seed with polluted water geysers than relying on waste water from the nat gas gens?

Yes. But I am trying to adapt.

Would be even easier to debug paste a new water geyser/15 dupes.

I like the challenge. Also I find the idea of dupes breathing oil appealing.

Getting polluted water out of the natural gas generation is where a lot of the fun comes from.  It is quite a bit less lucrative now with the changes but it still makes up for all the crappy geysers.  Last patch once I had 2 boilers running I went from water scarce to water excessive.

This is with taking as many dupes as possible.  If you only play with dozen or less you probably won't ever have to worry about water.

Ah.  I've been trying to get back to 50 and be completely stable.  I mean not getting to 50 and having to drain everything and just last for a number of turns before running out of resources.

I usually stop taking extra random dupes around 20 and then take ones that have very nice traits.  I won't pass up a small bladder divers lungs combo.

Out of curiosity, why do you use polluted water as the main coolant?  Why not crude oil?  Did become petroleum in the pipes?  I feel you could get more natural gas out if you were to use more crude oil as coolant.

1 hour ago, Neotuck said:

I have a habit of limiting myself to 18 dupes total.  Mainly because 18 is how many dupes I can fit in my favorite barracks design

image.thumb.png.ff6ec405773fd4adf90f651978d45bb4.png

2 of these can hold 60, 70 if you scrap the art and use snazzy suits.

Archived