My oil to natural gas boiler design

What you do with all that polluted water?

In my current game on cosmic preview I still run on starting water pool, I use it only to water 10 berries, I could skip on those since I have many wild wheat. Aside from oxygen generation that is covered by steam vent I don't need more water of any kind. If cold biomes wont heat up I can run the base forever, there is no real need for more power or expansion, it seems all to be optional atm.

1 hour ago, Zarquan said:

Out of curiosity, why do you use polluted water as the main coolant?  Why not crude oil?  Did become petroleum in the pipes?  I feel you could get more natural gas out if you were to use more crude oil as coolant.

Too hot, when I piped mostly crude oil the pipes would begin to break

17 minutes ago, _Q_ said:

What you do with all that polluted water?

coolant first then dirt production

5 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

Too hot, when I piped mostly crude oil the pipes would begin to break

coolant first then dirt production

There wont be enough polluted water from toilets and showers?

I think you have a nice elegant design.  I just go brute force.  Dump oil into magma and let the huge NG plume rise up to a another biome (ice preferred) and then pump to gens.  You have to dig out the igneous rock every now and then but you can also make a very large amount of NG at a time too.

One idea that you might benefit from is that you may want to prevent your lava to solidify.  You might want to have a mechanism to dump the lava if it gets close to solidifying by measuring the temperature and opening doors underneath.  That can be dripped in to a preheating room or a boiler and the dupes can pick it up and use it to make sand or something, therefore not losing the material outputs of the volcano.  Also, it would prevent the volcano from overflowing after several thousand cycles.

I've noticed since the updates that magma (igneous) rises in oil so if you build a huge oil reserve above your volcano and let the magma rise through the oil is solidifies as little clumps and rains down out of the air above the oil.....

27 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

One idea that you might benefit from is that you may want to prevent your lava to solidify.  You might want to have a mechanism to dump the lava if it gets close to solidifying by measuring the temperature and opening doors underneath.  That can be dripped in to a preheating room or a boiler and the dupes can pick it up and use it to make sand or something, therefore not losing the material outputs of the volcano.  Also, it would prevent the volcano from overflowing after several thousand cycles.

That's the main reason for the double water lock with exo suits.  So the dupes can reach the volcano and dig/gather any rock that forms.  It might not be automated but I would only have to do it once every hundred cycles or so

8.thumb.png.6f0b8ed0152d987af56ba5ef1ec0aaad.png

The way I see it, having the dupes come in to do that is a bit of a hazard and the material would still be very hot.  You would also lose half the mass.  If you drip the almost solid magma on a pool of polluted water or oil, I believe it wouldn't form a block that has to be mined if done right.  Then an auto sweeper can pick it up and your dupes can spend more time on the message tables or appreciating art or what ever dupes do in their downtime.

I mean, having to mine something out one every hundred cycles is way too much work. 

13 hours ago, Neotuck said:

Might have to make 2 boilers running together

I did some more testing on my oil boiler precursors. Noticed that my favoured boiler design deleted 15-20% of the mass. I was using buffered doors, that would open if hydro sensor sensed oil/petrol. The doors re-closing with a mix of natgas and oil/petrol caused some deletion, when I removed one of the row of doors and used a chamber of 3x3 and bottom 2 door system we ended up deleting 90% of the gas (sic!).

.. So had to scrap that design with near 0 resistivity.

.. Then you are left with either just having tungsten above magma and oil/gas above tungsten.. but this boiler design is not reversible, even if you stop dropping oil on it the gas keeps on heating upwards to 1500 C.

.. Then you can use standard tungsten + wolframite door + tungsten, but this is resistive and can't boil 10kg/sec.. Which brings me to your point, that I will need to make 2 boilers ;P. New goal is 5kg/sec per boiler.

This is the newest precursor. The lowest oil-pipe section gets pipe break issues, but it will not be difficult to add in safeguards from that pW boiler pool.. Eg some tempshifts, tungsten and mechanical door on pipe-temperature sensors. Will need to add the valve for 5l/sec too.

image.thumb.png.22331946bff4078f0e5475bc8111b0d1.png

On 6/12/2018 at 8:47 AM, Carnis said:

But your tempshift plates move heat to insulated tiles wasting magma

I just realized that was a bug that was fixed a while ago.  I did a quick test to prove it

Using debug I made 4 one tile chambers

2 of them using insulated tiles and 2 with normal tiles, both are made with abyssalite

One of each has a tempshift plate and I filled all 4 with magma

After waiting 5 cycles only the magma chamber on the far right dropped in temperature (abyssalite tiles with tempshift plate) the other 3 remained the same

So while it's true tempshift plates can transfer heat into tiles it DOES NOT work on insulated tiles so there is no heat loss in my build as you mentioned 

20180613141420_1.thumb.jpg.6fa89c236fc21159187d3c46b69d1e47.jpg20180613141413_1.thumb.jpg.805b176341abb6d8fe5d1f5e33512f8b.jpg

( After 5 cycles )

20180613143121_1.thumb.jpg.7f579b28ecf82c7b63964414aa9315cf.jpg

image.thumb.png.0ee6a51e0731eab6959c8e1bcb790d04.png

I got 2 broken pipes, 8.4t 174 degrees warm natgas for burning 12t oil, rest is in the chute. Needs one more pw-boiler / heat deleter before the doorpumps, but its the best I can do. I hold the pressure at about 200kg+ natural gas on the reaction chamber and the pw-boilers try to keep the pipes from breaking.

20 minutes ago, Carnis said:

I got 2 broken pipes, 8.4t 174 degrees warm natgas for burning 12t oil, rest is in the chute. Needs one more pw-boiler / heat deleter before the doorpumps, but its the best I can do. I hold the pressure at about 200kg+ natural gas on the reaction chamber and the pw-boilers try to keep the pipes from breaking.

This is why I had to cool most of the nat gas with p water.  The gas would heat the oil too fast and pipes would break

Yeah, but I knew that already. I dont mind a pipe break on that setup.

As I Said numerous Times, The reaction is exothermic, you are always going to need heatsink.

On that demo, I boiled 8000kg of polluted water as coolant from 30degrees. I boiled 12000kg oil to gas per boiler. Cooled the magma 3600 kg * Kelvin or -500per Stack.

Using polluted water pools and automation temperature control is The only way to go If you are going big scale.

42 minutes ago, Carnis said:

Yeah, but I knew that already. I dont mind a pipe break on that setup.

You don't care because it doesn't matter where the crude oil leaves the pipes and becomes petroleum as long as as much heat as possible is transferred to the incoming crude oil from the outgoing natural gas, correct?

23 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

You don't care because it doesn't matter where the crude oil leaves the pipes and becomes petroleum as long as as much heat as possible is transferred to the incoming crude oil from the outgoing natural gas, correct?

Until the pipe becomes completely broken then it acts as a "blocked" pipe stopping the flow of oil

Well anyways I been working on a new design consent you might want to try @Carnis 

Pre heating oil and cooling natural gas by dripping on metal tiles

No PHO2 coolant used

I been running this for 10 cycles now at 1000 g/s and no pipes have taken damage

20180614095108_1.thumb.jpg.e3eff1bebda9b40f5dccff666e569292.jpg20180614095104_1.thumb.jpg.4d2355ffe6fe61fb55dacbab93c6b3d0.jpg

What do you think?

12 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

Well anyways I been working on a new design consent you might want to try @Carnis 

Pre heating oil and cooling natural gas by dripping on metal tiles

No PHO2 coolant used

I been running this for 10 cycles now at 1000 g/s and no pipes have taken damage

20180614095108_1.thumb.jpg.e3eff1bebda9b40f5dccff666e569292.jpg20180614095104_1.thumb.jpg.4d2355ffe6fe61fb55dacbab93c6b3d0.jpg

What do you think?

Run it 20 more cycles or 10 more with 2kg/s.. since you are adding heat and it has nowhere to go, heat should start crawling into your pipes over time.

Just now, Carnis said:

Run it 20 more cycles or 10 more with 2kg/s.. since you are adding heat and it has nowhere to go, heat should start crawling into your pipes over time.

The oil is the coolant.

I'll go to 2kg/s and wait another 20 cycles, I'll post before and after thermal pics

Archived