Produce electricity with Shine Bug

Hello,

I've just discovered that the new Solar Panel works with every light source, so we can produce electricity with Shine Bug ! It works with only one Shine Bug but really slowly. Need some theorycrafting to find the optimal number.

shine.thumb.png.9d5734ff599747febffda04a55ff6c45.png

A little over 16 shinebugs trapped directly in front of the solar panels. Wouldn't expect this family of shine bugs to last long.

Edit: Tested in game and the behavior is a bit strange. Needed to bump it up to 25 shinebugs to get a consistent 220W.

LightBugHell.yaml

Edit 2: And it seems templates are rather bugged. The solar panel isn't in the correct position.

I had to manually add "location_x: -2" to fix it. Leaving the original for demonstration of bug.

LightBugHell.yaml

I am deviously hoping there's a positive loophole with ceiling lights and the solar panel.

2 hours ago, landromat said:

We got pure carbon now, which means we'll be able to make diamonds soon. I hope crystal shine bugs will generate a lot of light for sun batteries

Making diamond would be nice for that.  What does it take to make pure carbon?

4 hours ago, turbonl64 said:

I am deviously hoping there's a positive loophole with ceiling lights and the solar panel.

I am deviously hoping there´s NO positive loophole. (Remember you can just build a panel close to your prinitng pod)

But my main concern using shine bugs with solar panels is the heat generation. If I am right (else please tell me) solar panel produce always 45W heat energy while running, even when there is just one bug close. So I think the generated heat could result in more energy than using the panel directly.

1 hour ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

I am deviously hoping there´s NO positive loophole. (Remember you can just build a panel close to your prinitng pod)

But my main concern using shine bugs with solar panels is the heat generation. If I am right (else please tell me) solar panel produce always 45W heat energy while running, even when there is just one bug close. So I think the generated heat could result in more energy than using the panel directly.

If anything, you could use them to preheat liquids and gasses that flow through

5 minutes ago, Bobanaut said:

i really think dupes should go blind at such light levels, but yeah... it's 220W

Duplicant eyes are not dependand on light, they can easily see without it. They only turn their head away from exosuit forges for show.

Just now, Technoincubus said:

That hardly is viable now. With morb-puft farms at least CPU slowdown is justified because for a lot of morbs and pufts you get precious slime. 

dozens of shinebugs for...220W? Fertsynth plant can get you way more without sine bug spam.

i believe 1 crystal shine will be enough for 220

1 minute ago, Technoincubus said:

Crystal shine eats diamond. Negas eat abyssalite and other super-important stuff. I can't imagine using or breeding them for...anything. They are just not worth it.

We'll be able to make diamonds from carbone soon, we just need to wait

1 minute ago, Technoincubus said:

Crystal shine eats diamond. Negas eat abyssalite and other super-important stuff. I can't imagine using or breeding them for...anything. They are just not worth it.

Nega only need to eat BBQ to make crystal eggs and apparently we are going to be able to make diamond so no problem. 

Just now, 0xFADE said:

Nega only need to eat BBQ to make crystal eggs and apparently we are going to be able to make diamond so no problem. 

I just checked Crystal bugs provide same 1800 lux as regular shine bug, Hope devs change numbers after release

Archived