Steam Turbines - Lets bash some myths!

So steam turbines, eat ****load of steam, need hot steam and are super unreliable, right ? 

wrong, wrong, wrong.

Myth 1: Steam turbine eat steam without end. Not true.

Steam turbines process exactly 2kg/s, but need to be funneled. In other words, all but 1 tiles must be blocked beneath the turbine.

Myth 2: Turbines need hot steam. Also not true.

Steam turbines read ALL tiles beneath it, and if any tile, just 1 tile, is above the temp threshold (226.9c / 500k ) , then it will happily run.

This also means that you can feed the turbine 100c steam, with a turbine at around 60c, and still have the turbine run with full efficiency. 

So we come down to last myth, they're unreliable.

Well i guess this is wrong and right depending on how the steam turbine is setup. But i can say this, it is perfectly possible and easy to make upward of 5-10 steam turbines running of one single magmacano. 

Also neutronium can power your steam turbine, and you can pump heat into it using a temp plate.

It will keep the heat if you remove the temp plate after. see picture 1, 4 & 5 :)

20180506165927_1.jpg

20180506211003_1.jpg

20180506211008_1.jpg

20180506211012_1.jpg

20180506170805_1.jpg

Myth 3: Cheat the turbine by a tile of hydrogen or 3 layers stacked liquid to meet the pressure requirement.

Just now, Grimgaw said:

My question: is this how we envisioned using steam turbines? By blocking 4/5 inputs, by heating up unheatable material? (One would hope devs ask themselves those questions too.)

I reported it in bug tracker long long ago, but maybe devs just missed it.

10 minutes ago, Grimgaw said:

By blocking 4/5 inputs.

The blocking of inputs is not to cheat or exploit, but to control the steam. The turbine is able to hold a vacuum, but ONLY if it's funneled. Without the funnel steam can pass the turbine without even running it. This is what causes the major steam leak and the impression that the turbine "eats" steam like no other. 

7 minutes ago, R9MX4 said:

Myth 3: Cheat the turbine by a tile of hydrogen or 3 layers stacked liquid to meet the pressure requirement.

Well if the hydrogen is always lower pressure then the steam, it kinda works as it should. Even if i have to agree this is equally dumb compared to the rest of the workings of the turbine. 

20 minutes ago, SkunkMaster said:

The blocking of inputs is not to cheat or exploit, but to control the steam.

If the devs think so, they should have communicated better with the graphics designer person.

Just now, Grimgaw said:

If the devs think so, they should have communicated better with the graphics designer person.

That might be the case, or it might be the case that the underlying mechanics of how the turbine works is generally flawed. 

Or it might be a case of how air moves and that the turbine deals poorly with the mechanics of air movement. We don't know and can't say before the devs say anything about it. 

What we can do is observe how things actually work and then use that, whether or not we think it's "right" the way it works is irrelevant. 

That said, i agree with you to an extend. Who is to say this was not on purpose ? When you stack turbines and want pressure to build up fast, you would like some steam to leak and the leak you could then control with doors. 

The neutronium powered steam turbine is bonkers, i will agree with that.

Wish they had stuck with the original design of having in/out connections.  You would then have to figure out how to bring steam up to the usable temperature while in the pipes then pass it in instead of all these little tricks.

4 hours ago, SkunkMaster said:

Steam turbines process exactly 2kg/s, but need to be funneled. In other words, all but 1 tiles must be blocked beneath the turbine.

This is kind of considered an exploit. The floor of the steam turbine is entirely made of airflow tiles - and I doubt it's intended for us to "block" all but one of those tiles - else it wouldn't give us a warning for doing so :D 

Myth 2: Turbines need hot steam. Also not true.

Again, mostly considered as a an oversight - and one of the earliest discoveries people were posting on the forums when the revised steam turbine hotfix was released - people were heating them with a single bridge.

it is perfectly possible and easy to make upward of 5-10 steam turbines running of one single magmacano. 

If you exploit every known issue with the steam turbine - then yes.

I don't think you've so much exposed any myths - more just pointed out all the commonly known issues that the steam turbines currently have. I hope they get some rethinking/love in the future personally.

7 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

I hope they get some rethinking/love in the future personally.

Me to. 

IRL steam engines work of both velocity, pressure and temp. I understand velocity would not be a factor that could be considered, but both pressure and temperature could. Having a set output of power is also a lazy interpretation of how a steam engine works in my opinion. 

If the blasted thing would generate close to 1500w at 120c, but 4000w at 5-600c and maybe even more with higher pressure. I think that could make the turbine very interesting, and it would simulate more closely how a real-life turbine works, without straying to much away from the ONI "feeling".

Might just be me :D

So, i have closed steam turbine system and i had to build liquid pump to add water because i had 64 kg of steam per tile from start. It ended up with 3 kg of steam and turbine just can't start because pressure is too low. Question, where did steam go in closed steam turbine cube?

3 hours ago, landromat said:

So, i have closed steam turbine system and i had to build liquid pump to add water because i had 64 kg of steam per tile from start. It ended up with 3 kg of steam and turbine just can't start because pressure is too low. Question, where did steam go in closed steam turbine cube?

The steam moves from the bottom to the top.  The pressure the steam generator needs is a differential, not a total.  In other words: The pressure below has to be 3kg greater than the pressure above.  Once the steam moves through the generator, it needs to be moved back down below it in order to keep running the system.

41 minutes ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

The steam moves from the bottom to the top.  The pressure the steam generator needs is a differential, not a total.  In other words: The pressure below has to be 3kg greater than the pressure above.  Once the steam moves through the generator, it needs to be moved back down below it in order to keep running the system.

yep. it stopped. no steam on the top, because all steam is already moved back. and it's 3 kg instead of 64. 61 kg steam loss. i have atmosphere pressure censor and it always add fresh water to the system, and it was never above 20 kg because turbine eats it like a dinner

12 hours ago, SkunkMaster said:

Myth 1: Steam turbine eat steam without end. Not true.

Can you please be more precise?

Does your answer mean that the turbine does not "eat" steam at all?

Does it mean that it "eats" 2kg/s steam while active?

Does it mean that it processes 2kg/s (not eating it) and eating a lesser amount of steam every now and then?

Does this also apply to the winding-up phase?

On 7/5/2018 at 9:34 PM, blash365 said:

Can you please be more precise?

Does your answer mean that the turbine does not "eat" steam at all?

Does it mean that it "eats" 2kg/s steam while active?

Does it mean that it processes 2kg/s (not eating it) and eating a lesser amount of steam every now and then?

Does this also apply to the winding-up phase?

they don't eat anything as long as you don't try to bug them with other kinds of air on top of it. 

It processes 2kg/s, meaning it lets that amount through it's vents while running and leaving it colder on top. 

That said, it seems to me this whole system is flawed somehow and really does need some love.

Archived