Ranching II - Playthrough Issues.

Not sure what I did wrong here (Still learning.. blind playthrough) but.. the first half of the video, batteries and transformer stopped working and the second half the AI went nuts towards the end. Destructive stress is, by a very large margin, the worst of all the stress reactions. It's a complete nightmare.. to the point I murdered them off so they'd stop destroying everything in sight. Mostly because I couldn't get anyone to listen at all.. priority or not.. they all ignored making food and got stuck in cleaning loops until they starved to death. It was a mess. Right at the end.. the last man standing.. showered so many times in a loop I just destroyed the shower.. then he got stuck in a toilet-wash hands loop.. died of starvation.

Twitch/Hordequester if you want to see me suck at it.. I saved the recording. Don't know if these are bugs or just me doing something wrong.. so I guess that's more of feedback than anything. P.S. I was playing with my 5yo so... take that into consideration while watching.. sorry for the crazy bits and apologies ahead of time for the language when I got fed up with it lol.

Ok....

Yeah, stress needs to be managed better. Check your dups and read the notes on the debuffs. Wet floors are a big part of your problem in this regard. For food, rely on meal lice and mushrooms at first. The water requiring foods are troublesome at first because they tend to have high requirements and use up your water reserves very quickly. Use your overlays (top right corner). I didn't see you check them once and they would give you a much better idea of what is going wrong, such as your power problems. The power grids using ordinary wire can only support 1000 watts before causing damage to the components/wire. When building anything with outputs, consider what you're going to do with the waste. If you try to just dump it into the environment then it'll build up and clog the system. Always isolate geysers from the rest the base. For water, limit your use at first. You only need to use a little for the sinks in the bathroom and that is it. The rest is better used in electrolyzers for oxygen and power from the hydrogen.

As to why the dupe at then was being so weird, I think i may have something to do with the hidden priorities they game has. This can be turned off by clicking the little gear in the top right in the priorities window and checking "advanced mode." The dupes will then work only according to your given priorities.

Further, check out the other (better written) resources on this forum:

Have Fun!

Since you mentioned Stress, specifically, I'll throw out a few of my observations.

First and foremost, use the Room mechanic.  Enclose your bathroom to make a Latrine.  Set up a Mess Hall.  Both of these Rooms will provide a separate buff that gives a big reduction in Stress.  In both your Barracks and your Mess Hall, use Granite (+20% Decor rating) to build Paintings and Statues.  Dupes will spend a lot of time in these areas every cycle, so having a high Decor rating will do wonders for their stress.

The Barracks blueprint I use is very space efficient.  4 Dupes per floor, with a Decor rating inside in the neighborhood of +170.  From the Door, the first tile should have a Flower Pot with a Briar in it.  Put 2 Cots with Granite Paintings over them.  In the middle of the room is a Granite Statue.  Follow with 2 more Cots and Paintings, and a final Briar on the other side.  Stack as many as you need based on your current Dupe population.  Interestingly, my Massage Room (when I even build one) fits in that same space requirement.  Granite Statue is in the middle again, with another one on both edges of the room.  This gives you room for 2 Massage Tables, one in either half of the room.  Flank both of them with a pair of Flower Pots with Briars, and put 2 Paintings over each.  Huge Decor rating in the area, Room buff giving a large reduction in Stress, and the Massage Table itself.

Another big one is the negative penalty for Stress from Food Quality based on the Dupe's highest level Job assignment or Mastery.  As you promote Dupes through the Job window, to Job positions farther to the right, they will begin expecting higher quality foods.  Every time they eat a meal that is below their current Quality expectation, their Stress will increase.  If, for example, you are feeding a Tenured Scientist with raw Mealwood, you're gonna have a bad time.  For this reason, you can't just promote your Dupes willy-nilly.  You have to ensure you have an adequate food source to support the higher expectations that come with a more advanced Job position.  The good news is that you really only have 1 Job that you << need >> to get Dupes into as soon as you can.  And that's the T2 Miner Job, allowing the Dupe to cut through Abyssallite.

9 hours ago, Pyrrus said:

As to why the dupe at then was being so weird, I think i may have something to do with the hidden priorities they game has. This can be turned off by clicking the little gear in the top right in the priorities window and checking "advanced mode." The dupes will then work only according to your given priorities.

Is this why my sweeping doesn't get done, as well as a bunch of other work?

Don't worry, you are not the first one dying in this way, actually, it's the most common way to die, and the most hard to get rid of, once your dupes stressed, they will get even more stressed  because of the things they have done while stressed. Even if you survive that, it's hard to fix everything, good luck! 

Some easy early game stress reducers:

• Build four beds by the portal for the decor bonus
  • Enclose the bathroom for the "nice bathroom" buff.
  • Massage tables
  • Clean floors in well traveled areas (each item is -1 decor). If dupes won't sweep make a chest priority 6 and mark it sweep only.

One simple trick I use to keep décor at reasonable rates is to work in a top down environment until my base stabilizes.  Basically, I decide where the top of my base is, then dig/wall each level down to drop all the scrap to a lower level, keeping the main environment reasonably clean until I decide to start worrying about storage.  Saves me a lot of trouble with the décor in early game.

On 02/05/2018 at 2:22 PM, TG pro said:

And then realizing it's make your dupes wake up so you turn it off 

Of course, you will not ring the red alert everytime you got stress...and ... since how many time stressed dupe cant sleep ? i never mentionned to ring the red alert during their sleep... Or maybe your game is about stressing your dupes the more you can ??

But in some case, a lack of ressource can cut all of your base, and with stressed dupe, you cant made anything.

If you need something to be done, the red alert will help you to avoid their incapacity under the stress...

7 hours ago, BionicSandwich said:

...when you have no artists.

Simply constructing the Blank Canvas or Carving Block will provide a hefty Decor boost, particularly if you construct them out of Granite.  Carving/Painting the object simply improves it.

Archived