Short guide on how to deal with the swamp biome and the germs

How to deal with digging through a swamp biome and all the germs there. Strategies to avoid getting your colony infected and infection running rampant and how to clean out the germ infestation once you are done excavating.

PS. just tell me if u think I spam my video guides here to much. I hope people find them useful but it is a fine line between posting useful stuff and when one could see it as advertising my own material. So if you think any of my posts are on the wrong side of that line just tell me.

10 minutes ago, Ketmol said:

PS. just tell me if u think I spam my video guides here to much. I hope people find them useful but it is a fine line between posting useful stuff and when one could see it as advertising my own material. So if you think any of my posts are on the wrong side of that line just tell me.

Honestly, this was one of the reasons I was asking for a bit of a forums overhaul. I normally don't feel any shame posting videos in response to a question if it's relevant - but unless it's a new build or a new way of dealing with something, I wouldn't make a thread about it.

I don't think you'd have asked the question if you didn't already have your suspicions - but hey, go for it :D 

May be one day, as the game goes out of testing stage, we will have permanent threads listing tutorials or interesting videos (such as this one). It will make things more neat (and, if it's advertising, at least we now where it would be). But here and now, even with 2 or 3 runs, I'm glad to stumble on a video that answer or meet my questions. I do not want to argue* with you @Lifegrow, only giving one personnal vote to @Ketmol :)

Spoiler

* especially since i'm not even sure how to spell the g*d*m word :)

I like watching these videos to learn more strategies and see no reason why a new thread should not be created advertising their existence. Regarding creating a vacuum, I tried this in the past but was not able to pump out the gas due to overpressure at the vent. How do you get around this without high pressure vents, which require lots of research plus plastics to make?

1 hour ago, Giltirn said:

I like watching these videos to learn more strategies and see no reason why a new thread should not be created advertising their existence. Regarding creating a vacuum, I tried this in the past but was not able to pump out the gas due to overpressure at the vent. How do you get around this without high pressure vents, which require lots of research plus plastics to make?

You can get around it with some exploits. But honestly I think it is just easier to get plastics first. Get exosuits first, then get oil -> plastic, and then start exploiting the swamp zones to larger degree. Before I get plastics i might tunnel through them with exosuits to get somewhere, but I dont try to "clean" the area. I don't remember if I said it in the video or not. But a good place to pump the air when you create a vacuum is to a cold zone since all germs will die there.

I take advantage of the polluted water in a slimebiome. First ill dig underwater to spread the Pwater only then ill dig the upper part but i make sure that the slimes will drop to the polluted water to avoid them emitting Poxygen, i also add some deoxydizer as my contingency plan incase there is a slimelung outbreak, with that technique i usually never got to use exosuits.

But this will only work if there are no slimelung present in the slime biome where you going to dig.

13 hours ago, Lifegrow said:

Honestly, this was one of the reasons I was asking for a bit of a forums overhaul. I normally don't feel any shame posting videos in response to a question if it's relevant - but unless it's a new build or a new way of dealing with something, I wouldn't make a thread about it.

I don't think you'd have asked the question if you didn't already have your suspicions - but hey, go for it :D 

yep. I do feel a bit ambivalent on this. If my channel was monetized i would not do it because it would simply feel wrong. Now its not and i do it simply as a hobby and I think its fun to share guides. So for me what it comes down to really is if people find it useful and adding something or if they end up thinking it just takes up space in the forum... I am not 100% agreeing with the point of new builds being the only useful thing to post because of two reasons. The game is changing fast so older guides/builds might not work anymore but more importantly a lot of the good stuff is buried deep within the forum. For new players who might not know where and what to look for it can be helpful.

But yes. My reason to post about it in the first place was the notion that it is a very fine line. Thats why I am simply asking people to give me feedback if they think something, or some type of video I make would be better left out of this forum. I don't do that many videos that is mostly gameplay and not a guide for something specific. But that is for example something I would not post.

the first time i played this game i was like "what? no tutorials?" i eventually ended up building outhouses in the wrong places, no rinses , food poisoning everywhere, until i finally ask google, landed on youtube and finally here on the forum and i learned a lot from them, so having this kind of vids is a great way for new players to know how to play the game.

now we have codex, information about in-game elements, minerals, etc and i thing klei will add tutorials in it in the ranching mkII or later updates along with the lore and with my fish which produces phosphorites

Completely disagree with the video. Your videos used to provide simple(r) solutions to game problems than most player solutions. However the method provided in your video is only necessary on fatalistic/miserable settings. In normal game mode germs are almost a complete joke. You just need to build an airlock when accessing slime biomes and keep excavating slime biome until the immunity of any one of the dupes fall to 75% then shut off the airlock to the slime biome until immunity gets back up and start the cycle again.

For slime excavated from the slime biome, you can either put that in a container in cholrine rich environment or just for fun use the ore scrubbers for cleaning (some) germs off of slime then dumping it in the algae distiller.

In normal game mode not only the immune system recovers but the also the slime germs die off in oxygen by themselves.

This point is also illustrated by Nanod in his forum post 

I only run the game on normal difficulty etc, with how quick dupes are etc and with how much oxygen is in my base I forget slimelung exists.

Unless you go an excavate entirely large ares I don't really think slimelung is an issue.

6 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

I only run the game on normal difficulty etc, with how quick dupes are etc and with how much oxygen is in my base I forget slimelung exists.

Unless you go an excavate entirely large ares I don't really think slimelung is an issue.

Exactly. Its been nerfed too much

I don't really know the numbers behind polluted oxygen generation from slime and polluted water, but on my current playthrough I'm carving a zone out of a big slime biome and using several air deodorizers to supply my dupes with breathable oxygen.

If what I saw brothgar test a while back with spreading the surface area of polluted water I can increase the oxygen generation rate enough to perhaps fully supply my colony, or at least subsidise my oxidizers.

Have to keep storage compactors near the dig area submerged in chlorine, all fresh dug slime gets a bath.  So far slimelung isn't a threat, not even taking vitamins or wearing exo suits.

15 minutes ago, Kermack said:

I don't really know the numbers behind polluted oxygen generation from slime and polluted water, but on my current playthrough I'm carving a zone out of a big slime biome and using several air deodorizers to supply my dupes with breathable oxygen.

If what I saw brothgar test a while back with spreading the surface area of polluted water I can increase the oxygen generation rate enough to perhaps fully supply my colony, or at least subsidise my oxidizers.

Have to keep storage compactors near the dig area submerged in chlorine, all fresh dug slime gets a bath.  So far slimelung isn't a threat, not even taking vitamins or wearing exo suits.

The more exposed tiles of water you have the more oxygen they provide. If you manage to do this with perfectly clean Polluted Oxygen then its very viable, but if you get any slimelung in it then it can get out of control pretty rapidly.

3 minutes ago, Kabrute said:

This is how you communicate, I post a lot of screen shots, others do huge blocks of text, the method is not spam and the message is beneficial keep up the great work.

I am not sure, if there are more different ways to communicate in a nice way, or genders, but there are plenty!
My-Heart-to-Yours-497x600.jpg

2 hours ago, Tab1 said:

Completely disagree with the video. Your videos used to provide simple(r) solutions to game problems than most player solutions. However the method provided in your video is only necessary on fatalistic/miserable settings. In normal game mode germs are almost a complete joke. You just need to build an airlock when accessing slime biomes and keep excavating slime biome until the immunity of any one of the dupes fall to 75% then shut off the airlock to the slime biome until immunity gets back up and start the cycle again.

For slime excavated from the slime biome, you can either put that in a container in cholrine rich environment or just for fun use the ore scrubbers for cleaning (some) germs off of slime then dumping it in the algae distiller.

In normal game mode not only the immune system recovers but the also the slime germs die off in oxygen by themselves.

I cant relate to normal settings but I had a dupe with over -1000%/cycle slimelung infection. He got Slimelung in around a minute gametime. Not sure why I had pockets of po2 with 200,000,000 germs in it (might have been a bug) but only a few breaths in it took my dupe down to sickbay. Cant be much easier on normal settings either.

6 minutes ago, MorsDux said:

I cant relate to normal settings but I had a dupe with over -1000%/cycle slimelung infection. He got Slimelung in around a minute gametime. Not sure why I had pockets of po2 with 200,000,000 germs in it (might have been a bug) but only a few breaths in it took my dupe down to sickbay. Cant be much easier on normal settings either.

The amount of germs in a tile are dependant on the mass of the tile if i remember right, but I thought the dupes only breath in as many germs proportionally as they use the air.

1 hour ago, BlueLance said:

The amount of germs in a tile are dependant on the mass of the tile if i remember right, but I thought the dupes only breath in as many germs proportionally as they use the air.

Yes I know. The 200M germs were on po2 tiles of 1.5kg. The dupe got -1000% change/cycle infection within the few seconds of placing a deoxidizer behind the airlock.

I play on default settings and slimelung has been a non-issue. I find that all I really have to do is build plenty of deodorizers. I don't think it's necessary, but I also store slime in a quarantine chamber, and since there are deodorizers in there too it quickly ends up full of high-pressure O2 and the slime stops offgassing. Definitely don't need exosuits at all.

Every once in a while a dupe picks up enough germs that I have to take a short break from slime biome excavation but even that is rare. 95% of the time I can ignore slimelung altogether as long as I'm spamming deodorizers.

So in my experience, germs are mostly a non-issue, which raises the question of why they're in the game at all. But on the other hand I don't know that I would like it if they were made a lot more dangerous in the game's current state. I could live with deadly germs if the game offered really adequate tools for handling them but right now things like ore scrubbers are such a pain to use and so frequently unreliable that I don't think it would be fun if they were a life-or-death critical system.

5 hours ago, Tab1 said:

Yep. It is mainly an issue you will have if you either play on harder settings or if you like I did in the video, excavate a big area of slime biome fast and also want to make it habitable fast to expand your base in that direction.

If you just tunnel through or dig out materials (gold) there is no real need of killing the germs and make the area free from contamination.

I've always been scared of slime biomes, so I've always avoided them and have never had my immunity drop in any long playthroughs. I have dug out barriers between cold and slime biomes so that the slime biome becomes cold and kills all the germs. That's kind of my current solution: make slime biomes really cold, then harvest it out when all the germs are gone.

Archived