Slime Harvesting

slimelung starts dying below 20c, I personally build po2 pools under my target, 2 tile thick edges, turn off or lock up all slime storge and start shearing the entire biome into the pool.  I pick one pool, make it 3 deep wrapped abysallite, all flooded with po2 water mind you, but this pool not as wide, maybe 8 tiles wide, storage containers across bottom, 1 on either end and in middle pIce 20T each the other 5 slime, pool will kill all slimelung and should be enough to clear 2-3 biomes and give you some long-ish term storage with the slime

all slimelung in my storage seems to die of very quickly, but how do you prevent the slimlung from spreading, i got a lot of polluted oxygen surrounded by slimes once i open a hole airborne slimlung will get out, maybe a couple of deodorizer placed near the entry way of polluted oxygen wil do?

44 minutes ago, donutman07 said:

Deodorizers will handle the germs in the air indirectly.  Sounds like you already got a solution for the germs on the slime

so once i install the deodorizer ill have to wait out the polluted oxygent to become oxygen and clay?

Magma.

Seriously though, all you need to know about slimelung is that it reproduces in slime and polluted oxygen, dies slowly in everything else, and if it overpopulates in a slime tile, it expands to the neighboring tile.

From those mechanics you can extrapolate that in order to make this room completely safe, without any reachable tiles exposed to slime...

whQKiiJ.jpg

you need to do this...

VN6k2uN.jpg

And, obviously, place any slime you dig out in chlorine storage to kill off the germs on it.

To prevent polluted oxygen getting into your base you can build a multi-door airlock (or something even more thorough, like a vacuum seal), or just spam deodorizers at the entrance.

As far as actually working in the toxic biome, your dupes can survive a fair amount of germs in their body. Just watch their immunity while you dig out the area and, if it goes down to a level you're not comfortable with, postpone all work in that area.

19 hours ago, Lutzkhie said:

thats why i wanted to go there, i need thimble reed and there all in the slime biome surrounded by slimes and polluted oxygen

Exosuits can be built pretty early in the game now that we have the rock granulator. You just need one or two to get you started and avoid slimelung.

EDIT:

lol yes, I always forget that exosuits need timble reed.

There is usually a place that you can get in to to get thimblereed that doesn't require coming in contact with slimelung.  If not, its not too bad. What I do is I have a few dupes with extra high immunity go in and get it, then wash their hands on the way back.  Then you can grow it using the output from the lavatories or a body of polluted water from the slime biome and have all the thimblereed you could ever want.  The dupes might have a dent in their immune system, but they will be OK.  Once you have an exosuit (singular), you are all good and can clear it out to your heart's content.  Just be careful about slime-lungy algae.  Put a few ore scrubbers (equal to the number of exosuits) outside the biome.

Also, using some of the methods above, you can make a small incursion into a slime biome to get a couple of thimble reed plants without your dupes getting sick.  Grow them in your base (near the top where its hot) using some of the output from your showers/toilets, and before long you'll have enough materials to make all the suits you need.

Slime will emit polluted oxygen if not stored in a high pressure area. If you want to build a storage area in chlorine your pressure must be over 1,8kg/tile otherwise polluted oxygen will accumulate.

The better solution in my opinion is to just store slime in a cooled down area. The cold gas immediately kills off any slimelung even if polluted oxygen is being emitted.

The best solution is to get a Puft stuck in your entrance area to the toxic biome. It will eat the polluted oxygen and thus the slimelung. So if you have the choice on where you want to dig into the biome try to do it with a Puft nearby.

Another threat comes from algae deoxydizers which run with distilled algae or native contaminated algae. They will spread slimelung pretty quickly throughout your base even in pure oxygen. So make sure your dupes don't pick those algae up too early with a lot of slimelung on the surface.

7 minutes ago, Lacost said:

Slime will emit polluted oxygen if not stored in a high pressure area. If you want to build a storage area in chlorine your pressure must be over 1,8kg/tile otherwise polluted oxygen will accumulate.

My solution to this problem is to build a small room with a storage compactor and a deoderizer on either side.  There is a small amount of contamination that occurs, but I've never had enough to make my dupes sick. 

contamination.thumb.JPG.f7127b7498c1eea0c1888863ec05f3b4.JPG

Hence my suggestion of Cold Pwater, pwater can be -20 and still liquid.  Kills the germs near instantly, prevents the slime from becoming po2, can be built as a bottom floor for the entire biome, and then cleared out at will.  Mind you I recommend a 2tall pool for the biome and a 3 tall pool for about 8 or 10 wide for long term storage.

@Kabrute Do you use aquatuners to cool the polluted water, or do you mine polluted ice?  Because aquatuners are pretty taxing on a colony that can't make exosuits.  Also, you should watch out for the 100 ton limit on stuff on the ground if you do that.  Out of curiosity, why 2 tiles deep?  You only need one tile.

I wonder how long it would take wheezeworts to kill the slimelung if you were to just plant a few of them in one of those pressurized polluted o2 pockets?

I use 2 tiles because pwater sublimates over time I use pwater because it falls right out of the biome,  slime is super light per block and your only getting Half that when you mine it.  I use pIce to cool the the PWater in the storage tank only, mine it from ice biome, I had mine set up as part of an water/ice recycler.  I was using the pwater to store and degerm slime, was using the ice to cool an aquatuner, and when that melted it dumped its water down onto the pwater, warming the pwater but refreezing the water into pickable ice, not mined, so 100% constant coolant transfer.  The underwater storage works because the weight of the water is easily normally too much for slime to vent, just the danger case when its very small amount of water.  It def works faster than a weezie as its about mass vs mass and degerming necessity vs Everything

Underwater storage prevents slime from bubbling.  This prevents the spread of slimelung, as it can not survive in liquid.  If the water is cold, it will kill the slimelung, like @Kabrute said. 

You can also kill the slimelung with chlorine, but you will have to pressurize the chlorine or the slime will bubble.  I like the Kabrute's method better, as you can deal with the slimelung and the slime on site very easily. 

My biggest piece of advice is be careful with the algae.  If you clear a slime biome, you will get a lot of slimelungy algae, even if you don't distill it.  The algae will spread slimelung throughout the colony if it is used in algae deoxidizers or terrariums, and is the biggest threat to your duplicants.  You will want to either make sure that whoever can go in to the slime biome has their delivery job disabled OR you keep a significant number of ore scrubbers at the exits of the slime biome.

i found an area with hydrogen and chlorine, created a sealed entrance through the hydrogen going down to the chlorine area to avoid the chlorine from escaping and have my slime storage there, it kills so fast, but ill have to rearrange my exosuit to add a basin, it seems the suit carries the slimlung

In my current colony, I didn't experience any problems with slimelung. Water that I used for oxygen generation had it in it, but after electrolization number of germs in oxygen was so low, that they were constantly dying. My guys were digging through slime without suits in some areas and only one time I had immunity system lowered to 30%. I just revoked him door access to slime area and all closed.

They might get killed extremely slowly in large amount, but in small doses it dies instantly.

Instead of combating slime decontamination, polluted dirt disposal, and bleach stone storage combine all three into a system that works for you.  Store all three of these in a room with a gas pump, gas filter, and deodorizer and you'll get:

• chlorine will off-gas from the bleach stone, killing the slime lung and food poisoning
  • polluted oxygen will off-gas from the polluted dirt and be purified by the deodorizer
  • the filter will send the chlorine to ore scrubbers and balm lily farms
  • the ore scrubber will be used to clean slime lung from the materials you transport from the slime biome to your base
  • the remaining gas (most of which will be pure oxygen) can be piped into your base or further filtered and sent to your exo suit docks

You can add atmosphere sensors and more filters to further tighten system controls at the cost of more power and bit more metal.

Archived