World regrowth question?

So my gf and I play on a world thats currently on day 1400+. We made our world before the changes to the regrowth mechanic. It seems that things like berry bushes and grass tuffs etc dont repopulate after they are dug up/destroyed. This has become especially problematic since all our world setings are on default meaning desease comstantly destroys our plants. Big sections of our map are starting to become empty from constantly replacing deseased crops. From what i understand, klei implemented a new regrowth system that was supposed to regenerate things like berry bushes and grass tuffs but it doesnt apply to existing worlds. So that leads me to my question, is there anything we can do about this or are there any plans to impliment this feature to existing worlds or are we just doomed to eventually run out of resources? We play on ps4 btw so we cant use any mods to fix this issue.

Edit: some things to regenerate like rock boulders and birchbut trees but pretty much everything else is non renewable. 

From what I've read and tested out, trees replant other trees if there are only a few others around, or spawn newly after a long time if there are no trees around whatsoever and the multiply again.

Boulders regenerate in the form of meteorites.

Nonrenewable recources like berry bushes, grass tufts and (twig-)saplings only respawn next to the spawn portal in endless mode.

From the wiki (http://dontstarve.wikia.com/wiki/Florid_Postern):

Every 30–60 seconds, the portal will check for Berry Bushes, Grass Tufts, Saplings, and Flint within a 15-tile radius. If none are found, it will spawn 1-3.

What I do is either turn off disease, or just don't dig up any of those plants, and harvest them while running around the map.

To disable disease just run this command from an elevated command console in that specific server shard. (Overworld or caves)

TheWorld.topology.overrides.disease_delay = "none"

Otherwise you can use a world regrowth mod like this:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=514758022

(You might have to modify the generated config file to spawn more bushes than you have currently in your world.)

2 minutes ago, Daniel86268 said:

From what I've read and tested out, trees replant other trees if there are only a few others around, or spawn newly after a long time if there are no trees around whatsoever and the multiply again.

Boulders regenerate in the form of meteorites.

Nonrenewable recources like berry bushes, grass tufts and (twig-)saplings only respawn next to the spawn portal in endless mode.

From the wiki (http://dontstarve.wikia.com/wiki/Florid_Postern):

What I do is either turn off disease, or just don't dig up any of those plants, and harvest them while running around the map.

To disable disease just run this command from an elevated command console in that specific server shard. (Overworld or caves)

TheWorld.topology.overrides.disease_delay = "none"

Otherwise you can use a world regrowth mod like this:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=514758022

(You might have to modify the generated config file to spawn more bushes than you have currently in your world.)

Im on ps4 so no mods or console comands for me.

Just now, Spyro1 said:

Im on ps4 so no mods or console comands for me.

Whoops, totally didn't see that.

Do you have your world in endless mode? If so you can dig up the plants around the portal to get new ones to spawn. Otherwise I'd recommend to just keep the plants you have on your world right now and just run around to harvest them and/or find other sources of food like spider dens, frog ponds and Farms.

I understand your problem, had the same...what I did, after a time, is simply ignoring it by using other ways: I don't use berries for eating  (or if I need some, I go and look for an undug bush), use twiggy trees for twigs and gekkos for grass (and tumbleweeds).

What else you could do is to dig up all your tufts, saplings and bushes at the end of every year (end of autumn) and replant them in spring. I heard from others that disease happens at least 50 days after planting, so this way you can keep your plants safe. I haven't tried this method, because I'm too lazy for it, but I think it should also work.

1 hour ago, Daniel86268 said:

Whoops, totally didn't see that.

Do you have your world in endless mode? If so you can dig up the plants around the portal to get new ones to spawn. Otherwise I'd recommend to just keep the plants you have on your world right now and just run around to harvest them and/or find other sources of food like spider dens, frog ponds and Farms.

We play survival mode unfortunately 

1 hour ago, fimmatek said:

I understand your problem, had the same...what I did, after a time, is simply ignoring it by using other ways: I don't use berries for eating  (or if I need some, I go and look for an undug bush), use twiggy trees for twigs and gekkos for grass (and tumbleweeds).

What else you could do is to dig up all your tufts, saplings and bushes at the end of every year (end of autumn) and replant them in spring. I heard from others that disease happens at least 50 days after planting, so this way you can keep your plants safe. I haven't tried this method, because I'm too lazy for it, but I think it should also work.

Yea i heard that too but thats a pain. Especially on console because we dont have access to the geometric placement mod so replanting them neatly is so tedious. Tbh we dont even use the grass/twig/berry bush farm that much, its main purpose is just for decoration 

I know this isn't helpful at all, but...I tend to just live in a place that already has grass tufts and berry bushes reasonably close by (what "reasonably" is will of course depend on the individual) and just...leave them where they are and go to them.  It probably grew out of the fact that I often have a hard time finding beefalo early/when I do they tend to be far away, so poop is a limited resource.  So I don't dig up things that need re-fertilization to even WORK again at all after replanting, because I need that poop for making farms.

Saplings are another matter, as you CAN use those again right after replanting with no extra help.  I _have_ gotten disease on those, especially on my longest-running world (aka "Camp One-Foot-in-The-Grave" aka "That World I Can't Get Into Anymore Because Forge").  Also a bunch of my grass tufts up and ran away as geckos.  But I'm more okay with that, because now they also drop grass in winter and summer.  The twigs, however...yeah, some of those totally died.  :\

I dunno...I think the whole world regrowth mechanic could use a bit of an overhaul.  If lumpy trees, which DON'T EVEN HAVE SEEDS, can keep annoyingly popping back up* in Winona's camp despite my best efforts to keep flammable stuff at a certain distance for the summer and HOW ARE YOU DOING THIS ANYWAY?, then berry bushes should definitely be able to regrow.  I mean, they _have_ seeds--the berries themselves!  Fruits are all about reproduction in plants, after all.

...Notorious

*I kid, lumpy evergreens.  You're so much prettier than your name.  ;)

In your position, I would probably start a new world, that is if you can save the 1400 day one. It gives you a chance to get reacquainted with the pleasures of the early game and use what you’ve learned to do things better. You don’t have to discard the old world, but over time you’d probably start to lose interest in it. And if not—it’s still there, if bald of berry bushes.

Deserts are awesome in general; I highly reccommend making a secondary base near/in one (if you haven't already).  As long as you don't live too close to the Dragonfly or hound mounds.  (I myself just finished a run in a (modded) mostly-desert world, and kinda loved it.  What took me out at the end wasn't the desert conditions, but simply NOT being ready for such a big hound wave...)  Tumbleweeds are awesome for so many things. You can get really lucky and get gears on Day 1, sometimes!

Berry bushes, however...yeah, we still haven't figured out a replacement/protection method for those.

...Notorious

I suggest OP should grind for grass+twigs in the desert. For berry bushes, I recommend to look carefully after harvesting them. I know disease is very punishing, especially for big bases.

I don't know what Klei thought about it after switching from resource swapping to the current one. It can potentially leave newer player without grass/twigs if someone dug up all the plants around the starting zone. Since lightning ANY plants became a "pro" move to work without campfires or prevent freezes, I've become esp. sad if someone lights cacti/reed plants ;(

Archived