Invisible geysir/geyser? Hot zone without reason

47 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Note how the pocket is almost enclosed in abyssalite on all sides and the gold amalgam ore transferring the heat from the geyser to that pocket. Also note that we're talking mg of steam, so not a lot of stored heat. 

Yes sir, but..
heat.thumb.jpg.16f84446985596c4bb1d44cf2aa39dda.jpg

heat2.jpg

Here another one and so far, i have no real steam geysir in view..
next.thumb.jpg.5b26f4ea1b04c37ae5df5e5a9feb0330.jpg

You'll occasionally find pockets of vacuum with tiny amounts of water stuck to the sides. That's what happened here. If anything happens that causes any of that water to vaporize, it will fill the vaccum with Steam instead and its average temperature will be quite high.

1 minute ago, eggsvbacon said:

Not in my experience, it persisted 100 or so cycles on my game and it wasn't near any geysir.

Well the heat can't just stay there, as it's not insulated, so ...erm... wtf :D 

I mean we're agreed these odd pockets existed pre TB, so is it something changed with world gen then ?

pre-tb base

image.thumb.png.647b8c5ba070fd7a0710a1b0bce415b8.png

I don't understand why the steam wouldn't condense into water, thus creating a vacuum ?

So I think the issue is that everything happens a tile at a time, and that while the mass of material has an impact on the total energy stored by heat in an area, heat transfer isn't impacted by volume.

So what's happening is the steam is always 100 degrees at least.  A square of steam cools and makes a small amount of water in a tile.  The thing is, because it's a small quantity of water it doesn't fill up a tile.  Each time a tile cools and condenses, it merges with the others that might have condensed.  The free space is filled with 100 degree gas. 

The tiles don't ever go to complete vacuum, but since the tile is still hot it still has the opportunity to heat up nearby small puddles of water to their boiling point. This causes heat loss in the steam, but only one tile at a time. 

The thing is, the volume of water will never fill up the room.  That means that the space in the middle of the room will always be surrounded by steam.  Since steam is always >100 degrees, the steam in the middle of the cave will never condense. Since the steam in the middle of the cave will never condense, the area will never become vacuum.  

This means that there's always going to be steam filling the room, and it's possible that the steam will heat some of the smaller quantities of water up to boil to replenish steam. This is a side effect of the fact that a steam tile will be at least 100 degrees, and if it cools further it will fall and the steam in the cave will fill the space it fell from. It's perpetuated by the fact that thermal conductivity works the same way in a tile with a small mass and a large mass (though mass does have an impact on specific heat capacity)

I recognize the layout of that pocket.  Previously, it just had the little puddles of water in it, and the rest was vacuum.  The temperature that the water spawns at during world gen must have been altered somehow.  So when you reveal the FoW and "activate" the area, the water flashes into Steam, resulting in the super sauna.

I believe you can find the template in debug mode.  Has anyone tried spawning?  See what happens?

On 12/14/2017 at 7:11 PM, Oozinator said:

Here another one and so far, i have no real steam geysir in view..

i'm truly sorry my good sir, and i beg your pardon, but your misspelling of the word 'geyser' kinda bugs me a little. It has been happening all over the forum actually :D

EDIT: just for some fun fact, Geysir is actually the name of a geyser located in southwestern Iceland. It was the first geyser described in a printed source and the first known to modern Europeans. The English word geyser (a periodically spouting hot spring) derives from Geysir.

5 minutes ago, Wolfcream23 said:

i'm truly sorry my good sir, and i beg your pardon, but your misspelling of the word 'geyser' kinda bugs me a little. It has been happening all over the forum actually :D

Misspelling is a matter of opinion in this case. Geyser is a loan word from the Icelandic word Geysir. So you can also see it as it's true spelling.

2 hours ago, Wolfcream23 said:

EDIT: just for some fun fact, Geysir is actually the name of a geyser located in southwestern Iceland. It was the first geyser described in a printed source and the first known to modern Europeans. The English word geyser (a periodically spouting hot spring) derives from Geysir.

Yes Sir. I would give a quarter of my left small toe, when i could be reborn as native english speaking thing.
I feel so ashamed now, because i can't get sometimes "Weisswurscht" and "Oachkatzlschwoaf" out of my had, while i translate freestyle.
^^

I'm not 100% certain, but I believe this may be the remnants of a now-depricated map feature.

pRRObrN.png

The yaml file says the GeyserHole should spawn with a Geyser in it, but I believe that's been replaced with Places Of Interest. Despite this, the hole still spawns with some steam in it.

ElementChoiceGroups:
  RoomCenterElements:
    selectionMethod: WeightedResample
    choices:
      - element: Steam
        weight: 5
        overrides:
          massOverride: 1
          temperatureOverride: 415
      - element: Water
        weight: 1
        overrides:
          massOverride: 1

tl;dr: it's where geysers used to spawn, before they were replaced with custom built Places Of Interest.

Archived