[Automation Preview Update] - 240508

• Developer
  • Fixed high-priority tasks such as eating or toilet not interrupting work
  • Fixed priorities getting reset from existing saves. (NOTE: If you have made a save in Automation Preview, the priorities will get reset once more in order to support Oil saves.)
  • Fixed priority buttons showing correctly on the info panel
  • Logic circuits no longer make beeping noises each time a segment is constructed
  • Improved metal tile art
  • World seed displayed in pause menu; non-custom games generated with useable seeds
  • Adjusted decor values for metal materials and some objects made of metal
  • Fixed crash when moving the mouse near the edge of the world
  • Tweaks to oxygen visibility
  • Added "Filter" logic gate which holds a low signal, to compliment the Buffer
  • Improved Rock Granulator art
  • Improved art for the new wires
  • Automation circuits update more reliably
  • Improved Checkpoint art
  • Improved Liquid Shutoff art
  • Spelling fixes
  • Floor Switch should no longer miss dupes running past it

View full update

• Like 9

I dunno if i should start a new topic to share my idea, but i think that the Rock Granulator should produce 50kg of sand + 50kg of crushed ore, where you use the crushed ore in the refinery. Or maybe for future updates, you can melt said crushed ore to do... something. It's not very hard to make refined metal from the start, right? I just think that it should be atleast as hard to produce as plastic.

Edited by McStar007

13 minutes ago, McStar007 said:

I dunno if i should start a new topic to share my idea, but i think that the Rock Granulator should produce 50kg of sand + 50kg of crushed ore, where you use the crushed ore in the refinery. Or maybe for future updates, you can melt said crushed ore to do... something. There should atleast be a step between the granulator and refinery. It's not very hard to make this from the start, right? I just think that it should be atleast as hard to produce as plastic.

Plastic should be further down than refined metal, remember plastic is entirely renewable, Metal Is not. so if you use it all for the wrong things it is gone. Metal will probably become a limiting factor in some way down the line.

24 minutes ago, McStar007 said:

I dunno if i should start a new topic to share my idea, but i think that the Rock Granulator should produce 50kg of sand + 50kg of crushed ore, where you use the crushed ore in the refinery. Or maybe for future updates, you can melt said crushed ore to do... something. It's not very hard to make refined metal from the start, right? I just think that it should be atleast as hard to produce as plastic.

I'm glad they *fixed* the 'there's not enough sand' issue people were imagining.

The idea here being that more refined products come from the refinery is ( obvious ). What wasn't obvious is that now - sand, which has a ludicrous melting point, is a catch-all. Meaning, sand is more like debris or dross than was once previously indicated.

When it comes to the ore refinery, it would be reasonable to include clay+ore as an ingredient, and give clay some actual use other than for making sub-par farming tiles. The trade off on the ore crusher seems to imply that the remnant sand would have significant quantities of the original ore still in it - so you should use the refinery.

Klei generally refers to everything between the two as externalities. Aside from the oil refinery+petroleum generator,plastic press there aren't too many high level machines which are co-dependent. Althought they seem to be moving more in this direction, I'm hoping ore processing doesn't require the codependence. I like the brute force method early game, the machine gets used just enough as to not be a problematic heat source for early processing.

8 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

Plastic should be further down than refined metal, remember plastic is entirely renewable, Metal Is not. so if you use it all for the wrong things it is gone. Metal will probably become a limiting factor in some way down the line.

I was sincerely hoping that those small pumps would be early game and large pumps be ...later. The need for plastic early game is made obvious by their inclusion or choice of materials regarding these two devices and their need for plastic. I think they've got it backward on the research tree - and wouldn't mind making them out of metal or plastic. ( not the large pumps )

This actually inspires the question of their efficiency - seems like they would be very power inefficient at plumbing to anything but showers, sinks and toilets.

Edited by The Plum Gate
clarification
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Octyabr said:

So, it's like a buffer and a not gate?

it holds a low signal, so it's like a buffer with not gates both before and after it.  Well, I haven't tested it in game, but based on the description here, that's what it's like.

Edited by trukogre