Leisure Area When Idle

It would be nice to have a leisure area the dupes could be assigned to when idle. So they go there when idle.

Right now my dupes end up standing in the freezer, in the refinery or in the farms when they go idle. Then they get stressed because that is not where my relaxing decor is ;). They end up whereever their last task was.

It would be so nice having them retire to a comfy couch in a leisure area with a tv, piranha aquarium, art on the walls and other nice stuff. Could lower stress just like massage benches.

I play the game with 4-5 dupes only assigned to digging and building, so there is no wait when I request something new. But then they end up idling in all the wrong places and get stressed. So I see this more often than most players I guess. But when they all stand idle in the wrong areas my poor massage benches are completely overwhelmed. And it is not like there isn't nice art if they would just stand in the room right next door. But no the freezer is the best place of all to hang out ;).

Yeah they could implement a room type, i usually make dupe busy by sweeping junk for hatches. Maybe this leisure room could give benefit and we can see some sort of dupes life animation social behaviour, work them everytimes like slave is strange, i think they need some time off

Maybe a debuff or cooldown because too much work nonstop, add more stress source

+1 to the general idea. You could also have what Rimworld calls "joy activities", which would prevent dupes from really idling, instead doing an activity to amuse themselves if they don't have a job (or if they have been working without doing a joy activity for too long).

I agree, even if they just went to the mess hall or the barracks. If it stresses you out to stand around in an ugly oxygenless mealwood farm then why don't you go somewhere else? *glares at screen* I'm talking to you, Travaldo. And stop eating your lunch in the latrine when you have a perfectly good mess table!

There is a solution kinda, Dupes tend to hover around certain things, If you set a massage table up and put it on 1% stress and on a high priority (I think? I cannot remember) Dupes should migrate towards it if i remember correctly.

In all fairness though I see those dupes as walking 400W power producers so I do not worry about having them idle XD

+1 to this idea

Also, this could be supplemented by adding different types of "leisure rooms". I imagine "gyms", "libraries" that would allow the dupes to train and raise their attributes.

As far as I know, there is no way to raise a dupe's strength, and the only way to raise its intelligence is research which is complete by turn 30. This could be a way to keep developing your dupes on their idle time.

Its either this, or queue mass statue construction/destruction in a room where only idle dupes have access to to keep them busy.

On 10/6/2017 at 7:35 AM, Mjello said:

Right now my dupes end up standing in the freezer, in the refinery or in the farms when they go idle. Then they get stressed because that is not where my relaxing decor is ;). They end up whereever their last task was.

this is a number one problem for me - since I'm not always engaged in productive gameplay, they end up somewhere they end up getting stressed out.

I had noticed that there were hints at them having assigned leisure areas - so I'm looking forward to there being room types where they can go when they're idle - some recreation room or something similar.

My duplicants literally destroyed my colony by idling in my farms until they became unpressurized and the farms stopped producing.  (I am doing a challenge where I have to accept every duplicant and I when one of them dies)

They don't even need to have a specified leisure room.  They can just hang out in the barracks or the mess hall.

I like the gym and library idea.

This should be a priority.  Nothing takes me out of a game like watching what is supposed to be a fairly intelligent person stressing out about their surroundings while standing in a side room full of batteries, wires and transformers. 

Different stations for entertainment or relaxation could not only give our dupes a place to gather but allow us to cater to our particular teams and guide their development.  It could encourage exploration as well. I would love to find old programs or videos in the ruins. They could be educational or just dumb entertainment.   

Archived