What exactly does the Codex Urmbra contain

Well I got to thinking the Codex should have records of the shadow weaver or "people's" life to the point shouldn't so why doesn't Maxwell know what's going on or how for the survivors to go home. Wouldn't the Codex have some backlog of who and or what the shadows are doing 

What exactly does the Codex have?

I always sorta figured the Codex Umbra was like the Necronomicon in that it contained knowledge of great old ones that live outside the normal universe. It most likely has some backlog but it's possible Maxwell couldn't translate all of it either because the language changed into something he didn't quite understand (language of the ancients) or doing so would drive him utterly insane. 

40 minutes ago, Quoth143 said:

I always sorta figured the Codex Umbra was like the Necronomicon in that it contained knowledge of great old ones that live outside the normal universe. It most likely has some backlog but it's possible Maxwell couldn't translate all of it either because the language changed into something he didn't quite understand (language of the ancients) or doing so would drive him utterly insane. 

But maxwell went pretty far enough for his personality and features to change I doubt he would be somehow bea stopped by insanity and language seems more possible. But 40 years alone should teach enough 

Definitely not the science of the world, I would say knowledge of the Magic, although if it were, then why would he need a shadow manipulator and ancient altar to make the magic? maybe its knowledge is of our knowledge on how to make goldfish? It teaches how the magic works and some examples but not enough to recreate an exact replica? although that thinking may have it's flaws.

Well, the older puzzles showed various characters from Max's research, and the same characters appeared in Metheus which took place in the Atrium. Max remarks in-game that he's forgotten how to read the obelisks, which we also see in the puzzle (or at least something that looks really similar, and has the same images described by the mural examinations).

It's possible that he was only able to read it due to some form of shadowy corruption/influence. Losing their corruption or favor when he lost the throne.
With the Ancients themselves being the shadows ala Metheus, that'd make a lot more sense than previously. Their language, their book, their rules.

13 minutes ago, ThemInspectors said:

Definitely not the science of the world, I would say knowledge of the Magic, although if it were, then why would he need a shadow manipulator and ancient altar to make the magic? maybe its knowledge is of our knowledge on how to make goldfish? It teaches how the magic works and some examples but not enough to recreate an exact replica? although that thinking may have it's flaws.

Possibly but I'm remind of the notes in the carter puzzles of the amulet.  And staff, Then  the terrorbeak summoning and that needed to be in depth or wouldn't he summon them out in the field 

32 minutes ago, Pyr0mrcow said:

Well, the older puzzles showed various characters from Max's research, and the same characters appeared in Metheus which took place in the Atrium. Max remarks in-game that he's forgotten how to read the obelisks, which we also see in the puzzle (or at least something that looks really similar, and has the same images described by the mural examinations).

It's possible that he was only able to read it due to some form of shadowy corruption/influence. Losing their corruption or favor when he lost the throne.
With the Ancients themselves being the shadows ala Metheus, that'd make a lot more sense than previously. Their language, their book, their rules.

But that brings in why can he still command shadow puppets 

4 minutes ago, Donke60 said:

But that brings in why can he still command shadow puppy

So they can laugh when he tries to use shadow duelists.

I'd say just because it's the process he used the most often and memorized the best.

16 minutes ago, Pyr0mrcow said:

I'd say just because it's the process he used the most often and memorized the best.

But what's stops him from using the book . He still has to use the book so he can still read it to some degree

5 minutes ago, Donke60 said:

But what's stops him from using the book . He still has to use the book so he can still read it to some degree

Simple, THEM.

I mean, he DID make a contraption to escape the world, but THEY drag him right TF back, by making another world.

Maybe he can't leave until he rescues Charlie, and by extension ALL the other survivors. Since they most likely can't leave until he does, and he can't leave until Charlie can, but she's part THEM now, so I suppose they'll never truly escape.

And I'd suppose he's still has some of THEM inside of him, due to his hands being part shadow(?)*

Spoiler

*Citation needed. :wilson_smile:

5 minutes ago, watermelen671 said:

Simple, THEM.

I mean, he DID make a contraption to escape the world, but THEY drag him right TF back, by making another world.

Maybe he can't leave until he rescues Charlie, and by extension ALL the other survivors. Since they most likely can't leave until he does, and he can't leave until Charlie can, but she's part THEM now, so I suppose they'll never truly escape.

Well that could make him stay but what makes him stop using  shadow magic of the codex sure he would be weaker but he still should have some degree

I might have an idea what the Codex Umbra might contain, but I'm not sure what the Codex Urmbra contains.

Grammar nit pickings aside, it is likely that the codex contains various information on the inner workings of the don't starve world (see Maxwell's plans for a portal in Cyclum) in addition to various magical information.

20160529p1-Suddenly the codex umbra is the necronomicon.pngI just figured it was like Army of Darkness where the book swallows you into another dimension and that book within the book has another dimension and so on and so forth.

Also makes me think of it like a corrupted Shepard's Journal from Atlantis the Lost Empire.

If only Mr. Skits would have a one and one interview with the Klei staff.:wilson_ecstatic:

I meant to say that I think he can't really read it anymore, other than kinda memorizing the meaning of the parts that he made the most use of. Diagrams are usable as long as he already knows/can guess at what the components are, and he'd definitely used the portal blueprint in the past.

He does try to control the world again after escaping the throne in Cyclum (hounds I think?), but nothing happens, so there seems to be some sort of 'will' involved. Or maybe Wilson turned off his cheat codes in revenge.
Shadow copies are made partially from himself, so retaining control over those makes sense.

Archived