Petition to bring back the Old Bell

Should Old-bell be "revived"?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Add Old Bell back to DST?

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, csc_unit said:

@Zeruul Although I agree with you, may I remind you that you created a poll about the question. A poll that has a "No" option for the people that does not want more griefer ammunitions. 

So is it a poll or a debate?

Good point. I certainly have side-tracked.

I apologise!

2 hours ago, Rily said:

I miss that bell, how about make them only usable by the one who crafted it?, or something like that, maybe the blueprint could give you the capacity for make it and use it, then you could store your harmless bells in your base without fear

I like this idea as a solution for everyone. Combine it with the ideas of it being more difficult to craft, like having to use the ancient pseudo science machine and I can imagine old bell griefing would be virtually null.

Or a similar idea, crafting the old bell could be how it always was, but in order to ring/play the bell you have to 'learn' how, and learning that process could be challenging somehow

OK I guess.. I don't invite random people to play with me anyway so not having the Old Bell is more like a loss.. 
Also griefers can do something else anyways.. Like getting Willow and lighting your base on fire, for example, and we don't see Klei removing Willow's lighter, do we? So yeah, bring it back!

The thing that really get to me about the old bell is mostly the useless loot.

So I've made an altar where I butcher glommers ; I farm Krampus there. The wings and flowers are there as a reminder for  of what is coming. 

Capture d’écran 2017-04-29 à 17.46.04.png

1 hour ago, Josonic said:

Gunpowder was much more effective than the old bell for killing giants because there's less variables. With the old bell, you have to time it perfectly or just hope to get lucky, you have to make sure there's no structures around for several screen lengths, and so on. Old bell's best purpose IMO was tree farming, which is what I would use it for if they brought it back.

The old bell was very easy to use.  In DST Reign of Giants I could clear every giant with it, with ease.  No farming nitre, no waiting for eggs to rot, no extra time spent torching forests to farm charcoal...  just kill glommer before every full moon (you want to farm Krampus anyway) and make another bell...  Every single boss is very easy to kite / attack with old bell.  You don't need to freeze them, or sleep them.  Just bait an attack at max range, run as far as you can before they start moving, ring the bell, and when they get close enough to attack you just weave in and out to keep them in place, similar to as if you were fighting them.  3 boss attacks later Big Foot squashes them - it practically times its self.

I think the loot from Glommer should be re-purposed - not for the Old Bell.  I don't mind the idea of making Old Bell an ancient science machine craftable but I'd really rather see the Old Bell re-purposed as well.  It's such a basic item that does ridiculous damage very easily...  And in DST you could possibly have multiple characters calling them at the same time for a mega-nuke unlike ANY gunpoweder set up.

I'd rather almost any other content come out before Old Bell returns...  It's not about griefers either - I could care less about griefers as I typically play alone anyway.  I just don't see any appeal for this thing...  It was great fun when it was first added to DS - but after using it to eliminate 100% boss threat I just... don't care for it in any way...  It's too OP, too basic, easy to acquire and easy to use, WAY too much damage, plus utility to farm forests quickly...  It's like all of the bad things about mod characters all put into 1 "legit" item.  I'm glad it isn't in DST, Klei can do better.

dont starve together already has its version of the old bell and that is using the ancient skeleton sure it takes alot more work to get him but once you do  you effictively got you tree clearing marble clearing and mass mob clearing entity (if you are in caves). so now there really is no need for the old bell as a utility item  and if anything a full old bell wouldnt even kill a giant in dst. though yeah it would be nice to have a use for the discarded glommer flowers and wings over time other than just using them as a  partially decent fuel source

The old bell itself is overpowered and chaotic. It can't be allowed to be back to DST due to its destructive behavior, that's why we have a reanimated skeleton instead, less chaotic and manageable. Also getting it is too easy for this powerful item, better think of a better replacement that would not need to do all the lazy work with an item that could grief worlds badly.

1 hour ago, Mantas said:

The old bell itself is overpowered and chaotic. It can't be allowed to be back to DST due to its destructive behavior, that's why we have a reanimated skeleton instead, less chaotic and manageable. Also getting it is too easy for this powerful item, better think of a better replacement that would not need to do all the lazy work with an item that could grief worlds badly.

Destructive behaviour? 

Dude, Griffers will destroy your base with fire and torches anyway. I much prefer they do it with the Oldbell. At least that requires some effort.

That's why we have the rollback feature. 

2 hours ago, MiiKy said:

OK I guess.. I don't invite random people to play with me anyway so not having the Old Bell is more like a loss.. 
Also griefers can do something else anyways.. Like getting Willow and lighting your base on fire, for example, and we don't see Klei removing Willow's lighter, do we? So yeah, bring it back!

Exactly.

2 minutes ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

I hate that they took the Old Bell.

Griffers will destroy my base with fire and torches anyway. I much prefer they do it with the Oldbell. At least that requires some effort.

Why don't you rollback then? Or if you are in some other server just ask an admin to assist to ban the person. If there are no admins there then make own world or find the right server where it's more protected by the administration that owns the server. It's just kinda dumb for a multiplayer game such an item that can cause more trouble to some blind eye'd servers, or even more trouble and will make it dumb for admins to locate the griefer himself/herself/(snail).

4 minutes ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

Destructive behaviour? 

Dude, Griffers will destroy your base with fire and torches anyway. I much prefer they do it with the Oldbell. At least that requires some effort.

That's why we have the rollback feature. 

That's why klei added fire starter quotes, to locate who might had burnt the base. I don't want to have a dumb routine to patrol for griefs and rollback every time not finding the person who could had done it.

5 minutes ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

More reason to bring it back. It's no longer OP.

It's still "OP" in terms for griefers as I said in this topic. No point in having such an item in game, if you want it back, just use the mod that brings it back on own server, and there. BAM! Problem solved.

6 minutes ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

Exactly.

Any character can make a torch and do it, but at least we can figure out who can actually be the suspect ---> ban him/her ---> rollback. I don't appreciate blaming a character for the griefs, the people who needs to be blamed are the people who does it, not the game characters.

11 hours ago, Bahlsen said:

- Griefer's psychology : I think a destructive mind-set is something relatively direct, spontaneous, "intuitive", not really the kind of things that gets someone into elaborating a destructive plan that requires that many steps and knowledge.

So I'm pretty sure Old Bell griefing will be rare. 

Yeah...Speak for yourself.

I sometimes log in as Wickerbottom, so I can spawn Tentacles on people's bases.

And I go for the real long game too. I find a group in the early days and help them from the very beginning to build the most badass base they could ever imagine. I use Applied Horticulture on their farms and really prove myself to the team. I make pals with everyone and I'm just the nicest guy. 

And then the moment I get bored, boom! Tentacles everywhere!

Actually, wait I have pictures!20170117000750_1.jpg20170117001203_1.jpg20170117002047_1.jpg20170117002058_1.jpg20170117002100_1.jpg20170117002216_1.jpg20170117002227_1.jpg

Petition is almost like a demand, and its not how it works here @Zeruul. You make a suggestion, see the comments and wait for result. If the result doesn't come, then it's either delayed for balancing ideas, or it's scrapped and won't be added. I think Klei said that Old Bell was too powerful in the one's hands, and had to removed due to it's destructive behavior. That's why we have replacement tools that comes more in late game to be used.

9 minutes ago, Mantas said:

Why don't you rollback then? Or if you are in some other server just ask an admin to assist to ban the person. If there are no admins there then make own world or find the right server where it's more protected by the administration that owns the server.

My point exactly. As long as we have Rollback, why do we have to loose this fun item?

10 minutes ago, Mantas said:

It's still "OP" in terms for griefers as I said in this topic. 

It's less effective than a simple torch. 

11 minutes ago, Mantas said:

just use the mod that brings it back on own server, and there. BAM! Problem solved.

Ugh.

12 minutes ago, Mantas said:

Any character can make a torch and do it, but at least we can figure out who can actually be the suspect ---> ban him/her ---> rollback. I don't appreciate blaming a character for the griefs, the people who needs to be blamed are the people who does it, not the game characters.

What about tentacles? ;)

3 minutes ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

Yeah...Speak for yourself.

I sometimes log in as Wickerbottom, so I can spawn Tentacles on people's bases.

And I go for the real long game too. I find a group in the early days and help them from the very beginning to build the most badass base they could ever imagine. I use Applied Horticulture on their farms and really prove myself to the team. I make pals with everyone and I'm just the nicest guy. 

And then the moment I get bored, boom! Tentacles everywhere!

Actually, wait I have pictures!20170117000750_1.jpg20170117001203_1.jpg20170117002047_1.jpg20170117002058_1.jpg20170117002100_1.jpg20170117002216_1.jpg20170117002227_1.jpg

@ImDaMisterL is this even allowed to be posted? It's spreading more griefing ideas. I don't appreciate this guy's behavior right now.

1 minute ago, Mantas said:

Killable

So? Destruction still happened.

1 minute ago, Mantas said:

can be rollbacked

So can the Oldbell?

2 minutes ago, Mantas said:

easy to find the person who brought it there to ban him for intentional griefing actions

That's simply not true. I found my base once destroyed by Deerclops and I had no idea who it was. 

I say add an endgame ingredient to the recipe, so that randoms cant hop in and get it 11 days in. Any game with pvp has the potential for "griefing", play on password if you aren't interested in the random online element. You guys would hate ARK lol 300hrs of work can be razed in 10hrs of preparation, if you aren't prepared.

2 minutes ago, HamBatter said:

Not griefing context.

Takes a while to do the work, it's fine to have him to replace the big foot at least, you gotta keep managing him that he or you wouldn't die in the process, he is the great chainsaw of the autumn, that works during summer or autumn. Skeleton is great due to his use of reviving every time he dies, easily reusable, can be used in any season, but doesn't chop as massively as bearger, but at least more work can be done in certain ways.

6 minutes ago, Mantas said:

Killable, can be rollbacked, easy to find the person who brought it there to ban him for intentional griefing actions

What I will say in your defence is this.

If a player finds an Oldbell or has the resources to build it, they are more encouraged to grieff because of its uniqueness. 

However, that doesn't mean it shouldn't be an option for people. Maybe have it set off by default. There are many players who play this game in a singleplayer form and rebalances like this are really annoying for us. There's also many multiplayer users that would want this feature. 

Archived