My conclusion of the Don't Starve Together workshop

Tier of the DST workshop:
So overpowered you want to stop playing: A huge majority of the characters.
Unbalanced: Almost every mod.
Balanced: Rezecib, Rezecib, Rezecib, Rezecib, Rezecib and a few more.
Useless: Every artist who makes a character with no abilities
What the hell is this dude?: A character re-skin with only slight color changes.
Rules of the DST Workshop:
Every character is gonna be either a Furry or an Anime Character, no matter what you want, it won't fit into the Don't Starve Together world and there's no escape.
If you don't like it, you're rude.
If you like it, you're rude too..
If Rezecib says it's fine, then it IS fine.

TL;DR: Subscribe to every single mod in the workshop and enable caves & those mods then set everything to lots and generate a world, have fun.

---

In a serious note, I'd like for modders to please add some... err... fitting mods, I mean, it's perfectly fine that you're having fun making your mod and all, but I mean, why you're uploading it if it makes life extremelly easy, it doesn't fit in the game and/or it is unfinished? Sure, there's a difference between extremelly early unfinished which at that point you should keep developing, and there's unfinished which is at least playable in some extent, what I mean is, please have patience modders, it's getting... weird. Keep in mind Don't Starve Together is a survival rogue-like, so it's supossed to be hard. Thanks in advance (and please don't kill me).

Yeah, there's very few quality mods. It really is unfortunate. I've got a few ideas for some content mods as well as a rebalance mod, but I lack the coding or artistic skills to do anything with my ideas. And of course I'd do my best to make them as lore friendly as possible. That's actually one of the reasons I dislike every character mod. Additional characters as a whole usually doesn't fit in lore wise (and the workshop is flooded with character mods...).

So, this is you telling other people what to do with their time? Or telling other people what to do with their abilities. Either way, it is none of your business.

Unfortunately the Don't Starve community is all about easy gameplay. Having attempted to present balance fixes to the game in the past, because most characters currently are easy mode, the general response was that people preferred the characters to be overpowered. They say it makes the game more fun. Which is not the point of games. Games are meant to be an experience, which is why games do not give players god mode from the start. But the community of this game is completely blind to this fundamental concept, anomalously.

Basically, this is an unforgiving wilderness survival game; but instead of drawing in a community of try-hard elitist sods that feed off quote unquote difficulty; it drew in a large community of quote unquote casuals that are bent on making the game as easy as possible even if it means exploiting glitches. Literally, exploiting glitches and loopholes in how the game functions in order to make it easier.

They prefer the fact that Wolfgang and Wigfrid make combat negligible, they prefer that Abigail is a combat supplement instead of a minion. They prefer that Maxwell can auto-harvest all the resources in the game, and Wickerbottom can spawn in a variety of console-command-esque super powers. They explicitly prefer being overpowered in a game meant to be difficult, normally difficult games attract people that get off on difficulty; fair or not. This game attracted a crowd that does not actually like playing this kind of game, and so they forcibly contort its genre to their liking. Even though you can go play Minecraft is you want a brainless, talentless gaming experience for prepubescents; the not-actually-survival survival game fanatics came here to convert the game into a no-effort experience.

Much like a certain newly elected president's approach to living, the community has a completely backwards view of the game they are playing. Talking about making the game harder, literally makes you appear like a fool. Because even though that is the soul of the game that is the exact thing the community abhors.

15 hours ago, The Curator said:

So, this is you telling other people what to do with their time? Or telling other people what to do with their abilities. Either way, it is none of your business.

What I'm trying to say is that modders should take more of their time until their mod have a more unique and playable aspect, or we should have a way to easily diferentiate wether the mod makes the game easier, normal or harder. As the poor connection that I have, it s hard to find a stable server (Or a friends server) and it gets dissapointing that I realize that everything was done very easily, which makes me feel out.

Maybe if Klei had some kind of tag that let us differentiate this in the workshop (This should go probably under ideas but I'd like to receive thoughts first)

And no, I'm not trying to say what people should do with their character's abilities, but there is a difference between "This is easy" and "This is Overpowered" which is the point of this, I don't have a problem with having something easy for as long as there's an understandable flaw over it.

Please forgive me for making you believe this, my apologies.

9 minutes ago, Residays said:

What I'm trying to say is that modders should take more of their time until their mod have a more unique and playable aspect, or we should have a way to easily diferentiate wether the mod makes the game easier, normal or harder. As the poor connection that I have, it s hard to find a stable server (Or a friends server) and it gets dissapointing that I realize that everything was done very easily, which makes me feel out.

Maybe if Klei had some kind of tag that let us differentiate this in the workshop (This should go probably under ideas but I'd like to receive thoughts first)

And no, I'm not trying to say what people should do with their character's abilities, but there is a difference between "This is easy" and "This is Overpowered" which is the point of this, I don't have a problem with having something easy for as long as there's an understandable flaw over it.

Please forgive me for making you believe this, my apologies.

Unfortunately you are trying to critique the human standard though.

Lack of effort. creativity and proper challenge are quite normal. Especially in people on the internet.

And trying to bring it up just brands you as a troll or a pessimist. Rude is another common word they will use to completely ignore what you say and just try and make you look like a villain.

- Insert Star Wars Darkside Meme -

It's FREE. And OPTIONAL. You don't have to subscribe to every character that pops up on the workshop. If you didn't pay someone to make a character to your liking, I don't think you have the right to tell every modder how to "properly" make a character.

It's just rude.

Not to mention that no matter how hard one would try, it's IMPOSSIBLE to make a "balanced" character, because you can't please everyone. Even official Klei-made characters keep popping up in "Klei plz nerf" or "Klei plz buff" threads. But Klei actually gets paid to make new characters and fix the existing ones.

All a moder gets for their hard work are likes on the workshop and maybe a few coins from their patreon, even though some of the characters on the workshop have x10 more to them than a Wilson or a Wigfrid.

Tags are fine and I'm all for tagging what playstyle your server is, but that's something the community can come up with? And idk what it has to do with modders making characters in their own drawing style?

selfish self-insert

The Company of Creators have some mods that fit the style pretty well (in my opinion at least) and I've even made APIs that make modded characters able to show up in the main menu and give modded characters skins! Definitely check them out if you get the time! There's also a full on SW port to come after CoC is finished called Island Adventures and after that's done we'll be working on making a full on free community-made DLC called Unnatural Selection! Don't worry about any clash in styles or anything though... Our team pride ourselves on perfection! :)

Here's the mods I mentioned:

Also, if you like our work and want to keep updated on our projects here's our discords for our main 3 projects:

Spoiler

Company of Creators https://discord.gg/BNnHm3t
Island Adventures https://discord.gg/xtW6ZAd
Unnatural Selection https://discord.gg/RKSUcvt

On 11/04/2017 at 0:58 AM, The Curator said:

A polite suggestion could be ok. I mean, some modders could search for idea that will please the community, so why not saying "i would like mod making the game more challenging, but not more tedious", or "i would like mod with balanced character that fit the lore", or "i would like mods with news things to discovers, rather than new character"

This is fine as long as people are still free to do what they want and as long as they could use it as source of new idea/a way to know what people would like to see.

I understand the feeling, it's hard for me to find mods that add something to the world. I searched some characters mods, but a lot are with overpowered stats (for me), like speed, and maybe i can't play anything else than wickerbottom anyway. I would like to see more contents mods.

But i also understand why it's this way. Adding content is a lot of work, really a lot.

Anyway, i'm using theses mods usually :

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=404983266

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409858663

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=387716835

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=382363357

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=381565292

I'm just an art bum and not a real coder but I try hard to make my work fit the DST style.

All I work on are PvP aspects of the game and difficulty increase mods.

I can state when the stuff on Thirst is complete I am moving on to a trap-ish pvp-ish fortification type mod I am calling "Area Denial" which will include fun things like Archer's Stakes, Cheval de Frise, and Caltrops.

Not all mods are focused on making things easy, or breaking verisimilitude it's just there are a lot. There are some excellent  modders like Default and Fidoop (who commented) Or guys like Star or Desblat (Who haven't). There are others as well.

Complaining doesn't help tho, why not dig thru the workshop and make a mod  collection you approve of and promote it? 

The attention and positive feedback on those types of mods may lead to more people making them and is a nice  thank you for those who have already made an effort.

On 4/10/2017 at 5:58 PM, The Curator said:

Even though you can go play Minecraft is you want a brainless, talentless gaming experience for prepubescents; the not-actually-survival survival game fanatics came here to convert the game into a no-effort experience.

I could go play Minecraft, a 3D building game with a boring progression system, that has frequent updates I can't keep up with, and I quit having fun with after 15 minutes when I try to play. Or I could play Don't Starve, the game I've put 1000+ hours into, memorized everything I need to know, and I never get tired of. Even if my character choice makes it slighty easier than it could be.

Archived