Gas Filter - not filtering the oxygen?

Hello everyone, 

I just got done setting up a system that will clean contaminated oxygen by cooling it down via thermo regulators. But I seem to run into an issue? It's not pushing the contaminated oxygen though the gas pipes... I'm sure I've just done something wrong, but I figured I would make a thread in hopes someone can help me. And yes I have it set to filter contaminated oxygen.

I included two screenshots, the first one shows the contaminated oxygen going into the gas pipe, but then it goes right back and get pushed back into the room. The second one is just the whole system. 

Thanks! 

Screenshot_3.png

Screenshot_4.png

Even though its working or not, its a huge energy waste. Im using just one thermoregulator and looping the gas in it, like this(bottom left corner of the screenshot):W.png

When it reaches -190°C i just set "contaminated oxygen" in the gas filter and it sends all of it in my colony.

I recommend you this system, its cheaper.

2 minutes ago, Mast3r07 said:

Even though its working or not, its a huge energy waste. Im using just one thermoregulator and looping the gas in it, like this(bottom left corner of the screenshot):W.png

When it reaches -190°C i just set "contaminated oxygen" in the gas filter and it sends all of it in my colony.

Yeah I knew it was a waste of energy, I wasn't sure how else to do it. But how often do you run that setup? I suppose anytime you need oxygen? 

46 minutes ago, PrivateDonut said:

Hello everyone, 

Thanks! 

Screenshot_3.png

Who can see the difference? (left correctly connected, right not good)

5dsBjwM.png

Game allows it but it is not good if you first build pipes and then place filter over them.

1 minute ago, PrivateDonut said:

Yeah I knew it was a waste of energy, I wasn't sure how else to do it. But how often do you run that setup? I suppose anytime you need oxygen? 

I run it when my morbs generate enough oxygen. I cool down cca 50kg per 1 round. It isnt my main source of oxygen... I use this setup to send gas where its an emergency.

5 minutes ago, bzgzd said:

Who can see the difference? (left correctly connected, right not good)

5dsBjwM.png

Game allows it but it is not good if you first build pipes and then place filter over them.

Either way, it still doesn't work for some reason. 

1 minute ago, Mast3r07 said:

I run it when my morbs generate enough oxygen. I cool down cca 50kg per 1 round. It isnt my main source of oxygen... I use this setup to send gas where its an emergency.

That would make better sense. I'll probably end up setting up the same thing, as it'll use less power then 17 of them... But of course it was going to be the same thing, kind of a backup system in case of an emergency. 

1 minute ago, PrivateDonut said:

Either way, it still doesn't work for some reason. 

I just wrote you the reason... you have pipes under that filter. First build filter and then connect pipes to it.

5 minutes ago, bzgzd said:

I just wrote you the reason... you have pipes under that filter. First build filter and then connect pipes to it.

I just tried that, and it's still acting the same way. I currently have a few other oxygen filters around my base, it's just this one that seems to be acting weird. :?

1 minute ago, Nativel said:

Have you construct by any chance gas valve in that aria where your filter is? and then deconstruct it? If it so it's a bug that won't disappear and you have to evade that way where you valve was placed.

I have not, at least not in this area. But that is surely an interesting bug. 

3 hours ago, PrivateDonut said:

I just tried that, and it's still acting the same way. I currently have a few other oxygen filters around my base, it's just this one that seems to be acting weird. :?

4 hours ago, bzgzd said:

bzgzd is correct, you gotta deconstruct the pipes that are connecting the filter, because if you see it closely, you are actually passing a pipe BEHIND the filter, thats why the filter isnt filtering, you gotta connect the pipes to the filter and make sure you dont actually pass the pipe behind it.

pipes.PNG

pipes2.PNG

Also you've connected the thermoregulators with themselves, making half the gas pass twice the same thermoregulator. (you'll end after a lot of time with a lot of solid oxygen which will stay solid no matter how much you heat it)

corrected.png

To avoid this, remove the coloured pipes.

11 hours ago, Mast3r07 said:

This is actually incorrect.
I too thought what you did, and was skeptical when told 17 in a row was more efficient.
But it is the most efficient way.
Obviously you wouldn't leave it on all the time, as the pressure would get low, and you would end up pumping tiny amounts of cont. oxygen around for the same power cost. But if you switch it on only for short periods, when your cont. oxygen source is higher pressure, it is by far the most efficient way.
Think of it this way, the cont oxy can do one of the following trips:

(with a gas pump, 1 thermo, gas vent)
Trip = 17x gas pump, 17x thermo, 17x gas vent = 4080W + 4080W = 8160W per gas unit

(with a gas pump, 1 thermo, looped, gas filter (manual))
Trip = 1x gas pump, 17x thermo, 17x gas filter 1x gas vent = 240W + 4080W + 2040W = 6360W per gas unit

(with a gas pump, 17x thermo in series, 1x gas vent)
Trip = 1x gas pump, 17x thermo, 1x gas vent = 240W + 4080W = 4320W per gas unit

6 hours ago, Octyabr said:

Also you've connected the thermoregulators with themselves, making half the gas pass twice the same thermoregulator. (you'll end after a lot of time with a lot of solid oxygen which will stay solid no matter how much you heat it)

corrected.png

To avoid this, remove the coloured pipes.

I'm be getting on the game soon, I'll try it out. That would make sense, and explain why it wouldn't push the oxygen through because it couldn't. 

EDIT: That fixed the issue, thank you! 

1 hour ago, SpoonsOnMyElbows said:

I too thought what you did, and was skeptical when told 17 in a row was more efficient.

To add to what SpoonsOnMyElbows mentioned and to further clarify just in case. Having 17 thermo's is exactly the same as having 1 thermo looped on itself. Thermo' s only use energy when gas passes through them. So in other words 1 gas unit passing through 1 thermo 17x is the same as having 17 thermos and have one gas unit pass through all of them. 

43 minutes ago, jigggy2000 said:

To add to what SpoonsOnMyElbows mentioned and to further clarify just in case. Having 17 thermo's is exactly the same as having 1 thermo looped on itself. Thermo' s only use energy when gas passes through them. So in other words 1 gas unit passing through 1 thermo 17x is the same as having 17 thermos and have one gas unit pass through all of them. 

Yep. The difference being that in what Mast3r07 is describing, the gas unit also has to pass through the gas filter 17 times.

5 hours ago, SpoonsOnMyElbows said:

Obviously you wouldn't leave it on all the time, as the pressure would get low, and you would end up pumping tiny amounts of cont. oxygen around for the same power cost. But if you switch it on only for short periods, when your cont. oxygen source is higher pressure, it is by far the most efficient way.
Think of it this way, the cont oxy can do one of the following trips:

(with a gas pump, 1 thermo, gas vent)
Trip = 17x gas pump, 17x thermo, 17x gas vent = 4080W + 4080W = 8160W per gas unit

(with a gas pump, 1 thermo, looped, gas filter (manual))
Trip = 1x gas pump, 17x thermo, 17x gas filter 1x gas vent = 240W + 4080W + 2040W = 6360W per gas unit

(with a gas pump, 17x thermo in series, 1x gas vent)
Trip = 1x gas pump, 17x thermo, 1x gas vent = 240W + 4080W = 4320W per gas unit

Nice, you made the math. Unfortunatelly, i don't have so much free time to do it myself, so thanks.

I will build 17 next time, then.. because the next update won't load on my main colony...

the only conservation you make off the loop system is building resources the gas would still need to be cooled the same number of times with or without the loop if you want to conserve energy get more gas into the cooler before it uses its energy to cool. the volume of the gas has no effect on the power usage of the cooler so cooling a 10k volume over  17 coolers is way more effective than 1k in either system

17 hours ago, Saturnus said:

To make liquid oxygen from contaminated oxygen. If you freeze contaminated oxygen into a liquid it turns into pure oxygen again when it evaporated.

how many cooler needed for that ?

Archived