Cooperative Play Setting, Everyone Has Individual Bases

Thought this might be fun to try and it was a blast, the idea was to make it more challenging than a single base model and it was!   The only rule is that you have to create your own base and transactions are done through a barter system (which is leading to a universal currency).    It isn't strictly a model of "everyone goes there own way", people do go on joint ventures on a voluntary basis.  Watching how everyone sets up their base is enthralling, some opt for lavish setups and designed set pieces, others go the minimalist route with less attention to orderly design.

What was interesting about this dynamic is that players who were conditioned to the single base model weren't always prepared for every exigency as they forgot that they were responsible for everything.    Another fascinating component is the "price" of goods in the barter system, one person values 40 grass as 20 wood and vice-versa.   Gears of course buy you quite a bit.   Gold at first commands a very high price then it diminishes rapidly.    The basics for barter don't change too much though, they are grass, wood,  and silk (not so much twigs) because "farming" them is labor intensive.      

The other serious challenge is Deerklops in the early phase, a wrecked base can take 20 days or more to rebuild (especially when you're in the wrong season).   

Most valuable item is (as always) the walking stick, and the essentials for the first winter are of course tents, thermal stones, beefalo hats and sewing kits.   Miss any one of these and you workload goes up exponentially.    

We are doing this scenario in a large world setting, doing long solo excursions to explore are tricky as its hard to pack enough gear and deal with hound attacks simultaneously.    Players who focus on that too early risk working from an underdeveloped base which leads to trouble later when winter hits.

At the moment we have 4 dedicated players but the server has six slots, in the next week or two I hope to fill the last two.   

Haha!  Weirdly enough...this is kinda similar to how I play already. Well, I make one base, but if others wanna make their own I'm like "Sure."  Although, without the barter system.  But, I'm not the type who just assumes logs, twigs, flint, grass, armour etc. will just always be there in a chest once the base is good and established.  I _always_ carry those things on me.  Which means that I'm playing the "Together" game in a crotchety old bachelor(ette) kind of way rather than Believing In Your Friends!, but, meh.  I still help out others.  I just don't automatically assume they'll be ready/able/willing to help out _me_.  : P  So, that part wouldn't throw me at all.

Most notably, the game of mine that had two seperate campsites the longest is my 500-day world, aka "Camp One-Foot-In-The-Grave" (the name of the main base.  Why? Because we're maybe two screens away from the dev cemetery set-piece. Also it's Don't Starve--you're ALWAYS close to the grave!) 

For at least a full year* or so we had somebody living at their own seperate base in the woods down south of us, closer to the beefalo.  With the odd result that the Bearger for some reason spawned THERE, took out their camp, killed most of the beefalo...and has been peacefully wandering/sleeping in that forest ever since.  Sometimes I go through and pick up the logs from the trees he's knocked down.  He's never been to the main base once--and never respawned closer to it 'cos _it's still the same Bearger_.  This is my hippy-dippy live-and-let-live attitude writ LARGE!...but it does seem to be working out... (Heck, the beefalo even recovered. And then some.) 

...except for that poor person whose base that was.  The ruins are still there--there's still a functioning crockpot and firepit.  When exploring at that area I'll still use it for a convenient night-time pit-stop.  And plant something in the farm plot.  And maybe remember to harvest it later.

SO.  All that is to say:  I'm already used to being responsible for my own stuff at my own base, but I'm not sure if I could get the handle of the barter system in your current world (or if you'd even want me)...or, for that matter, if I'd even get a decent ping.  : P

...Notorious

*And these are longer years than normal.  Randomised seasons--normal summer, normal autumn, FORTY-DAY WINTERS AND FIFTY-DAY SPRINGS.  So yeah, the other camp was kept up by the one person a decent amount of time.

The barter system isn't something you have to learn, you just post/ask for your top stuff and see what offers come in, it works beautifully.

Ping shouldn't be an issue, I have players over 5,000 miles away who have no issues.    The most important quality of a player is honesty, it was tough going at the start but we pretty much survived solo (one player came in the winter so aid was provided).    Anyways, playing in a world where you can trust everyone to leave your stuff alone is great, we will allow for an exception in an extreme emergency but you should replace what you use.  It is also ok to use equipment of course and if stuff is rotting to consume it.

Anyways give us a ring if you're interested, we are looking for players that are also on a fair amount, my contact name is aep039 on DST.  Oh, we also use Discord.

I kind of alternate between this and single base setup, mostly depending on the timing for when I join a server.
My personal preference is a cave base, so that has a tendency to keep newer people away without even trying. I honestly mostly play multi because I like the chat company, so it works out xD

Progressively becoming less dead, but bones are still visible.

I don't understand the point of doing this. This kind of system is similar to that of PvP; it just doesn't work that well in a game like this.

On a public server this would be impossible to maintain, if you ever tried that, because essentially the entire world would be filled up with bases and... where would one build a base to survive in then?

Just share resources, take what you need and off we all go. That seems to be what the game is aiming for and it's less restrictive that way as well and creates less tension.

Besides, what's the point playing a multiplayer game if you're not interacting with/rarely interacting with other players to do things together? The fully cooperative model is already cranky, in my experience at least, because of all the grindy farming you do on your own most times that prevents you from going for an adventure with your friends. It's always "person A goes for this, person B goes for this etc. we regroup at base and enjoy our harvest, but we more often than not just mind our own business". Why push each other away even more by not even seeing the other players at the base as often as possible?

If the group of separate bases is actually cooperative (or at least a few are), each can get resources that others can't or would have trouble getting.
For instance, lately I've been basing just outside the ruins, in the light bulb biome, venturing into the ruins regularly. Lot of things that I can get down there, but basic supplies become more difficult.
A base closer to/on the surface has things that I'd have difficulty getting, and I/the rare people insane enough to join and survive my excavation can share deep-cave spoils in return.

Were you expecting someone else? Sorry, it's just dead guy.

On 3/11/2017 at 8:17 AM, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

I don't understand the point of doing this. This kind of system is similar to that of PvP; it just doesn't work that well in a game like this.

On a public server this would be impossible to maintain, if you ever tried that, because essentially the entire world would be filled up with bases and... where would one build a base to survive in then?

Just share resources, take what you need and off we all go. That seems to be what the game is aiming for and it's less restrictive that way as well and creates less tension.

Besides, what's the point playing a multiplayer game if you're not interacting with/rarely interacting with other players to do things together? The fully cooperative model is already cranky, in my experience at least, because of all the grindy farming you do on your own most times that prevents you from going for an adventure with your friends. It's always "person A goes for this, person B goes for this etc. we regroup at base and enjoy our harvest, but we more often than not just mind our own business". Why push each other away even more by not even seeing the other players at the base as often as possible?

You're making assumptions, "rarely interacting", "push each other away", etc.    First off the world is much larger than default, there is plenty of space, secondly the server easily handles the load even with players far away geographically.    

We interact constantly and everyone gets to have their own base design.    There is trading going on all the time and the players really like it, and we combine forces whenever someone wants to start a mission.   I'm not that good at fighting but I can obtain hard to find items through trade.   Need 6 silk and don't have time to get it, or a sewing machine?   20 wood.   Easy.  Also, there is no bickering and you come "home" to a base that you know where everything is, there are many times as well that we visit each other.  Bases on which everyone plays are a mess, garbage all over the place, everyone making unorganized changes to the design and frequent risk of fire/destruction.   

My base has never been cleaner, nothing on the ground inside the base, it is perfectly sized and I even built a "guest house" for visitors for overnight stops.    We have only 4 players and the bases also make it possible for players to go on adventures far from their homes without worrying about resources.

2 hours ago, Rellimarual said:

This sounds like an ideal way to play the game. I suppose nothing is stopping two players from creating their own base if they want, but I agree that once you get a lot of people running around a central base, the chaos can be really annoying.

That's if they're all newbies who don't really care to put in the effort to try and get into the game.

This isn't an ideal way to play the game nor is it the intention lore wise. The main idea, which is also a lot less restrictive is just sharing what you have and using what you need. In the case of rare resources, best for the players who come in regularly. I've had more hassle with the whole trading thing than sharing quite honestly. Everyone providing for themselves and everyone else simply means I don't have to waste away time to get something specific for the other player. What if what they have is what I need, but I've nothing they want or nothing at all? Better to just take what you need from chests, with consideration of others and ask for resources to players in case they have some without any pointless trading and giving stuff to others in need if you can afford it as well.

That's how most players play instinctively this game and it works much more simply and efficiently as well as being less restrictive.

If you want everything to go perfectly your way, playing single player or DST on your own is your best bet, or as you're doing right now, a private server. But please don't force this overly restrictive trading and ownership concept to public servers.

Whenever I try playing on a public server i always build away from the main base. I tend to set up what I call "colony bases" throughout the world. Given I hardly play more than 40-50 days before I quit for the night I usually have 2 or 3 colony bases set up in that time at where I view strategically important locations.

If only i could convince others to do this idea from the OP :) that would be more fun.

5 hours ago, Mencken said:

My base has never been cleaner, nothing on the ground inside the base, it is perfectly sized and I even built a "guest house" for visitors for overnight stops.    We have only 4 players and the bases also make it possible for players to go on adventures far from their homes without worrying about resources.

I'd really like to see your base. Would you mind showing some screenshots? I love looking at other people's bases :)

1 hour ago, Mafiabrett said:

Whenever I try playing on a public server i always build away from the main base. I tend to set up what I call "colony bases" throughout the world. Given I hardly play more than 40-50 days before I quit for the night I usually have 2 or 3 colony bases set up in that time at where I view strategically important locations.

If only i could convince others to do this idea from the OP :) that would be more fun.

Isn't the point to have fun in the game through survival and challenge rather than strategically building a relatively self-sustaining world management... Oooooh, nvm >_>

"You are out to kill everything"

2 minutes ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

Isn't the point to have fun in the game through survival and challenge rather than strategically building a relatively self-sustaining world management... Oooooh, nvm >_>

"You are out to kill everything"

Everyone has fun in their own different ways. What may be fun to you might not be for someone else. Everyone plays everything differently. 

Just now, EarthwormJim said:

Everyone has fun in their own different ways. What may be fun to you might not be for someone else. Everyone plays everything differently. 

Perhaps, although what the game seems to necessitate you to do isn't what the game was originally intended for (in shirt going from "everything is out to kill you" to "you are out to kill everything"), although I guess lets leave it at that to not derail from the topic.

Just now, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

Perhaps, although what the game seems to necessitate you to do isn't what the game was originally intended for (in shirt going from "everything is out to kill you" to "you are out to kill everything"), although I guess lets leave it at that to not derail from the topic.

I suppose you missed my point. Everyone plays everything differently, including not doing what a game intends for you to do and so on. 
Not everyone is going to play the game like you do.

1 minute ago, EarthwormJim said:

I suppose you missed my point. Everyone plays everything differently, including not doing what a game intends for you to do and so on. 
Not everyone is going to play the game like you do.

As long as you're really having fun, I mean, what's the point trying to get things managed around the world if all it will be is getting things done to a point where everything is under your control for no reason in particular. Then all of it being erased from the world resetting, as is usually the case for public servers. Why not aim for going on dangerous adventures instead, like, the other day, I was saved by another player through channelling of lazy deserter when I had only 1% fuel left for both lantern and moggles left, all while a group of dangling depth dwellers are trying to hunt me down.

8 minutes ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

As long as you're really having fun, I mean, what's the point trying to get things managed around the world if all it will be is getting things done to a point where everything is under your control for no reason in particular. Then all of it being erased from the world resetting, as is usually the case for public servers. Why not aim for going on dangerous adventures instead, like, the other day, I was saved by another player through channelling of lazy deserter when I had only 1% fuel left for both lantern and moggles left, all while a group of dangling depth dwellers are trying to hunt me down.

People play video games to have fun, obviously. If they want to go on an adventure, they will. If they want to chill at base, they will. 
Don't Starve Together is a game about survival, but surviving how you want to. Sure, there are different strategic approaches to everything, but I like how everyone seems to have their own way of doing things. Seeing people work together with those methods is nice, too!
I suppose it's irrelevant at this point, but: everyone plays it differently.

2 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

As long as you're really having fun, I mean, what's the point trying to get things managed around the world if all it will be is getting things done to a point where everything is under your control for no reason in particular.

Just noting that for some people setting up self-sustaining systems IS what they have fun doing.  In their case the point of doing it is that they enjoy it.

I suppose I'm really just trying to emphasize the point EarthwormJim is making right above me -- and which You Yourself made a few replies back --          Everyone enjoys different things and there isn't a wrong way to have fun as long as you're not hurting someone else's enjoyment.

This kind of play style looks pretty interesting actually. I always liked the idea of economies in games without a built-in currency, but never had much of an opportunity to try it out. If you're still looking for new players, I'd be happy to give it a shot.

3 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

This kind of play style looks pretty interesting actually. I always liked the idea of economies in games without a built-in currency, but never had much of an opportunity to try it out. If you're still looking for new players, I'd be happy to give it a shot.

You're welcome to join us, my name is aep039 on Klei.   

8 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

That's if they're all newbies who don't really care to put in the effort to try and get into the game.

This isn't an ideal way to play the game nor is it the intention lore wise. The main idea, which is also a lot less restrictive is just sharing what you have and using what you need. In the case of rare resources, best for the players who come in regularly. I've had more hassle with the whole trading thing than sharing quite honestly. Everyone providing for themselves and everyone else simply means I don't have to waste away time to get something specific for the other player. What if what they have is what I need, but I've nothing they want or nothing at all? Better to just take what you need from chests, with consideration of others and ask for resources to players in case they have some without any pointless trading and giving stuff to others in need if you can afford it as well.

That's how most players play instinctively this game and it works much more simply and efficiently as well as being less restrictive.

If you want everything to go perfectly your way, playing single player or DST on your own is your best bet, or as you're doing right now, a private server. But please don't force this overly restrictive trading and ownership concept to public servers.

Everyone has a different concept of what ideal is and you clearly have one.   I'm not sure what you mean by the "lore wise" comment, more information would be helpful.

This isn't restrictive, you actually have far more freedom than you do in a group base because you don't have to ask permission to use resources and our experience has been that even when playing with experienced players that resources are consumed sometimes without notification, it also creates stress between the players, "where is the silk?", "why did you kill the geckos?", "don't plant too much grass", "you're using too much stone" etc. etc.

This is an amazing idea and I would be interested in seeing how it will develop- I just wish I had people to play it with.

I have a few questions:

Do you 'hire' players? e.g Hiring a Wicker to use their books.

How are the transactions made? 

Do you have a currency? If you do- what is it and what prevents one player from mass producing it and becoming rich while de-valuing it?

I don't personally see what the fuss is about, that definitely sounds like a fun alternative playstyle to me. Every public server is entitled to enforce its own rulesets, and many do. Is there a postings of the rules along with a link to the discord?

Archived