Why does the DST community seem so toxic?

4 hours ago, Arlesienne said:

As a host of many a pub, the infamous Where Is Base can easily be solved by asking "Do you need a hand with anything or are you going off on your own?" a moment after the new person has joined. THEN @Muche's Moderator Commands. Why? Because you can reasonably safely lead somebody into your base if you get autocompleting commands letting you kick somebody who breaks your rules AND have their inventory drop to the ground.

To answer the OP's original question, no, I don't think the community is toxic. Even if I'm more of a Rousseau person, people can be really unpleasant in every situation, you don't need to say it's the game. You seem to have had a very bad luck, which happens, and then we move on. Servers with some reputation are the solution. The world @Weirdobob mentioned is amazing, believe me, and I only managed to get a little bit of loot for the crew before having to log out. You may say "600 days is the work of experienced players, a newbie can ruin it" - hey, sure, but isn't it worth taking the risk if you have Bob as the admin and he really works hard to ensure everybody's having fun? DST is a multiplayer game, which means you're typically supposed to cooperate with meatbags. You take this risk by buying the game and going onto other people's worlds instead of running a private game. Isn't it fun though? This little bit of social interaction adds special charm to the game and - while enjoying DS a lot - I will always pick DST over the singleplayer campaign due to the lack of loneliness you feel in DS. No, not your character's sanity drop when you have a giant land all to yourself and nobody answers. Your brain starts thinking bad thoughts. Because we're ultimately cheeky Chrises social monkeys. You take the risk of having silly or mean people every time you leave your bed. The game isn't to blame and the community - community as in the dedicated players who dig the lore, tinker around, frequent the forums - is decent as it is. For really toxic areas, ask in a PM, I can create a subjective list of games I love and still classify as crazy.

All of this.  Seriously.  I couldn't've put it better myself--and in fact, I tried!  As you can see above.  : P

...Notorious

7 hours ago, SuperPsiPower said:

Is there a petition where deadly feasts can be added back into the game so I can forcefeed it to a new player who follows me around, begs off me, finds my base etc.?

I just thought i'd be generous and share some of my secret recipes!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=691294273&searchtext=Mystery+Meat

I wouldn't force-feed it to new people tho that's pretty mean.

Why not teach them instead?

I usually leave that in an unattended fridge for thieves to find.

5 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

Not trying to start a flame war, in case you're getting those kind of vibes, just being honest.

5 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

And here, you can observe the "MLG-too-pro-for-DST" player. Quite a rare species. They feed on the hatred of what they themselves once were. It's told that their megabase-elite-itis is very contagious towards those that may match their skill level.

Always a pleasure, XirmiX.

39 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

What was the deadly feast in Adventure mode? I'm guessing this was before my time.

"this, my final feast."

i'd love to have it re-introduced so i could make a (melo)dramatic exit.

48 minutes ago, Bunions said:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=691294273&searchtext=Mystery+Meat

I wouldn't force-feed it to new people tho that's pretty mean.

Why not teach them instead?

I usually leave that in an unattended fridge for thieves to find.

I was being sarcastic. I wish there was something else we could do to point new players in the right direction, but DST has no guide upon first playing. It just dumps them into a server to do whatever they want.

2 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

Did you have to cook it yourself in Adventure mode or was it already prepared? Where was it found?

it was at the end of adventure mode early on before the epilogue was fully implemented. it looks just like a meaty stew.

Ooh, I can see why they took that out though.  Don't Starve does overall have a rather dark/gloomy tone but THAT'S a little...suicidey... (If you eat it yourself.  If given to someone ELSE, it's murdery!  Either way, not really appropriate.)

Dump-you-in-the-wilderness-with-no-instructions is how the singleplayer game does it, too!  It's a grand old Don't Starve tradition.  Just...a little confusing, for those who see the spooky-but-cute cartoon style and assume it's a much easier game...  (The key there is in the words:  "An UNCOMPROMISING survival game of science and magic."  But _nobody reads anymore_!  Usually.)  Also in this version a mysterious guy in a pinstriped suit doesn't sarcastically tell you to get some food before night comes, so there's no, like, proper _intro_ for new players.  Not even an indication that night is maybe a thing.

Last but not least, Maslak, I love how Wes in your gif has sunglasses for his BALLOON as well.  XD

...Notorious

11 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:
13 hours ago, Arlesienne said:

If by "fun" you mean: having progress erased because we had to roll back, because a griefer destroyed a lot of stuff; having leeches that stay and drain resources who don't actually play the game; having to manage everything in the world yourself just so things don't get destroyed or littered around everywhere; being like a parent that has to take care of a bunch of 5-year olds, some of whom don't even want to learn anything and not having the time or patience to still be enjoying yourself whilst you have to look out for all of them; and having about half the content being unsustainable in terms of fun (be it mobs, items, structures, plants etc.), resulting in menial tasks being done over and over again, then I don't know what your standards of "fun" are, but that doesn't really sound fun and exciting to me.

Not trying to start a flame war, in case you're getting those kind of vibes, just being honest.

I hardly get trolls anymore. I think the group's reputation helps. And Moderator Commands. You either follow my old-fashioned savoir-vivre standards or take your leave. Only the admin has rollback powers and can kick, and as I'm always there - and if forced to AFK, giving mod rights to a trusted member - you get no vote abuse. If somebody does not bother to disable settings they do not need, they can only blame themselves.

Yes, I understand some want babysitting. No, if they're polite and trying to get better, I don't have a problem with that. I can be on the verge of starvation and barely breathing from telltale hearts, but my folks are provided for and seem happy. In turn this gives me much satisfaction.

Managing the world is part of the job as an admin, just like I manage my place as much as I can and organise teamwork at work, I do the same in the game. And if there are lone wolves, there's enough of space around. Just don't dig plants up, it's useless and gets you embarrassing diseases.

Perhaps I'm lucky with people, perhaps I'm good at working with strangers, perhaps my aunt skills are not bad. I know the game is fun for me and people seem to enjoy playing on my servers. I say I see the glass is half-full at any rate.

Archived