ModUploader error. EResult 25. Cannot upload or update mods

I know there are thousands of posts about it, trust me, I have googled it. For 4 days it has refused to work, At first I thought it might have been my connection, but if that was the case, then maybe my connection has serious racism against the uploader because the rest of other internet activities are suffering no issue.

This is the log error:

ModUploader.log

Through looking into the forums for results, I did find this that explains what the error numbers means:

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/source-sdk-2013/blob/master/mp/src/public/steam/steamclientpublic.h

in my moduploader log, I get this

16:21:08: Progress: Uploading mod data file...
16:21:08: OnShareModFileResult 
16:21:08:    EResult 25, ffffffffffffffff
16:21:08: EndProgress FAILED: Failed sharing mod data file.
16:21:08: MainFrame::OnPublishComplete FAILED: Failed sharing mod data file.

EResult 24, according to the link above means: 

k_EResultLimitExceeded = 25, // Too much of a good thing

As much as I am not really happy with attempting for 4 days and not succeeding, I am also very curious to what it means by // Too much for a good thing.

Procedures that I had attempted but failed:

1 Restart Steam
2 Restart Computer
3 Verify Integrity
4 Uninstall and Install
5 Modify mod's version number
6 Modify mod's modinfo
7 double check the mod

Thanks in advance for whoever stops to read.

Edited by halfrose
added stuff

It's been happening to me and a few others for the past 5 days as well, there's a few posts on the steam discussion board talking about it. If you want I can send you my mod to see what's wrong? It's still somewhat of a beta so I hope you don't mind if I send it to you directly. Let us know if there's anything we need to change.

1 hour ago, PeterA said:

@halfrose Can you zip up your mod and send it to me (or post it on here), and I'll take a look to see why it's failing.

I haven't been able to edit/upload mods for the past few days as well. Even just updating the version in modinfo and adding some print statements returns an error, or uploading a basic test mod gives the same error. "failed sharing mod data file". 

Maybe the problem is server side? 

• Developer

@w00tyd00d sent me his mod and I wasn't able to have any problems uploading it. Unfortunately the documentation about that error is a bit limited.

Are you guys on the beta branch? If so, can you try switching back to the NONE beta branch.

Do you have a large number of other mods submitted to the Workshop?

4 minutes ago, PeterA said:

@w00tyd00d sent me his mod and I wasn't able to have any problems uploading it. Unfortunately the documentation about that error is a bit limited.

Are you guys on the beta branch? If so, can you try switching back to the NONE beta branch.

Do you have a large number of other mods submitted to the Workshop?

I haven't been on the beta branch. I have 3 published for DS and 5 for DST (one being private). 

edit: and I should point out that I had successfully edited a mod just before this error started taking place. I forgot to include something so I went to edit it again, and that's when the error started. And it hasn't let up for a few days. It persists across operating systems as well. 

Edited by BluesyBuesy

I have two other mods on the workshop, both set to friends-only, and I had just uploaded them maybe about a week and a half ago (just recently got more in to modding ;X). I have downloaded the beta branch while it was still testing Winter's Feast event, but I haven't used it since that event went live; I've been on the live branch all throughout the Year of the Gobbler event.

Maybe instead of updating my previous mod, I'll try re-uploading the mod to a new page and see if that works. Might have something to do with how it's trying to update the older files currently on the workshop? Since my mods are technically still in their testing phases anyways, it wouldn't be hurting me much to do so.

Edited by w00tyd00d

Ok, just tried re-uploading my mod to a fresh new page and I still ended up getting the same error.

I'm hoping this isn't a problem on Steam's end since they don't really have the best track record of expediting anything workshop related lol but it's starting to point more and more towards that

6 hours ago, PeterA said:

@halfrose Can you zip up your mod and send it to me (or post it on here), and I'll take a look to see why it's failing.

ok here it is, sorry for the delay to reply, I had gotten a bit occupied. I sent you the mod

Note this is just one of the mods, all the other mods are having the same issue, even if I didn't edit anything to their modinfo or modmain.

as for the amount of mods, I have 5 including this one I am trying to upload.

Edited by halfrose

9 hours ago, PeterA said:

Hey all, just a quick update. We've been able to reproduce the issue and are investigating a potential fix for it.

Thanks for the assistance in tracking it down, and your patience while we sort it out.

Very cool, thanks Peter :)

• Developer

I made a change yesterday that should have fixed the issue, but it didn't appear to take effect immediately. It seems to have partially resolved the eresult 25 error, and I have been able to upload a mod, but I've been seeing a bunch of these errors in my testing.

11:08:15:    EResult 9, ffffffffffffffff
11:08:15: EndProgress FAILED: Error uploading preview image.
11:08:15: MainFrame::OnPublishComplete FAILED: Error uploading preview image.

@BluesyBuesy can you try uploading a copy of a mod as a new one with a new name (feel free to delete it later).

Please, let me know if you happen to run into this other issue as well, when uploading a new mod/updating the preview image.

1 hour ago, PeterA said:

I made a change yesterday that should have fixed the issue, but it didn't appear to take effect immediately. It seems to have partially resolved the eresult 25 error, and I have been able to upload a mod, but I've been seeing a bunch of these errors in my testing.

11:08:15:    EResult 9, ffffffffffffffff
11:08:15: EndProgress FAILED: Error uploading preview image.
11:08:15: MainFrame::OnPublishComplete FAILED: Error uploading preview image.

@BluesyBuesy can you try uploading a copy of a mod as a new one with a new name (feel free to delete it later).

Please, let me know if you happen to run into this other issue as well, when uploading a new mod/updating the preview image.

Sure thing. I just successfully uploaded a mod, and once it was uploaded I was able to change its preview image. It's currently set to private. Let me know if you need it public for some reason. 

• Developer

I tracked down the cause of the bugs I was seeing during testing. It appears that there's a restriction on the uploading, that the contents of the preview image and the mod data itself must be different than the previous mod that you've uploaded. That's not much of a restriction for regular users, but definitely tripped me up in my testing.

Looks like it's all working fine now. Please let me know if you run into any issues with the uploader.

1 hour ago, PeterA said:

I tracked down the cause of the bugs I was seeing during testing. It appears that there's a restriction on the uploading, that the contents of the preview image and the mod data itself must be different than the previous mod that you've uploaded. That's not much of a restriction for regular users, but definitely tripped me up in my testing.

Looks like it's all working fine now. Please let me know if you run into any issues with the uploader.

Ah yeah I've come across that before because I've uploaded dual mods for DS and DST with the same preview image, and the second time I upload the preview image I have to do something dumb like change a pixel for steam to accept it. 

Thanks @PeterA :D uploaded fine for me now, you're the man!

12 hours ago, PeterA said:

Haha yeah you're restricted to both having to use a different image than any of your other mods (for testing purposes, I just use the same image but have to move it by one pixel to have it registered as "different" lol) as well as you need to change the version number in the modinfo or else the uploader will give you an error.