Working List for Oct 30 Update

Kevin

• Developer

I was attending GDC online last week, so this update is a bit smaller than some of the previous ones:

[*] Cooking system and new compound food types

[*] Pond fishing - next time!

[*] Bird trapping

[*] Tier 2 research machine

[*] Something creepy with the pigs that I don't want to spoil

...and the usual grab bag of fixes, tuning, and whatever else we have time for.

Edited by Kevin

*Happy dance*FISHING.... pity the ponds are in swamps which are dangerous.....and hostile... and very unwelcoming.YAY bird eating. Do we get white meat? HehehI looking forward to creepy.I like creepy.It looks good on me. XD

• Developer

So the bird trapping has been pushed forward two updates, is it proving more difficult then you imagined or is it just not a high priority.

It's actually pretty simple to implement, and the art has been done forever, but there has always been something more exciting / important to put in instead. Or, nasty bugs sprung up, like the WebGL issues that people were having a couple of weeks ago.We've been pretty good at staying true to these lists so far, but please remember that they're always put in the spirit of optimism. Think of it as the gameplay department (basically me and Tatham) to-do list for the next two weeks. It is always subject to insertions, deletions, and rearrangements.That said, the actual internal list is usually longer than the one that I post here. I prefer to under-promise and over-deliver :)

• Developer

The first version of cooking system works like this:You build a cooking pot. It's a firepit sized cauldron-like thing. When you click on it, an interface panel (kind of like the treasure chest) pops up. You fill some (currently four) slots with inventory items, and then click on the cook button. The interface closes, and the cauldron bubbles away for a while. I'm not sure how long it will take in the end - it will probably depend upon what's in there - but it should take at least a couple of clock segments. When the cauldron is done cooking, it indicates this via an animation and sound, and then you can click on it to harvest the results.The results are going to be different types of prepared foods, with healing / hunger / special effects based upon what you put in there. Usually this will just be veggie or meat stews, but certain (undocumented! ha!) combinations will yield special food types with better stats. I eventually want to make it so that you can make functional foods and then feed them to other characters (or yourself) to affect them. That needs some other stuff to be implemented first, but it should be coming within a couple of months.I've got most of the interface details working, and tomorrow I'm going to implement the item combining logic. Fun stuff!As an aside, this interface stuff is also going to be useful to fix up the way the meat effigy works. It's kind of weird right now that you can only put meat in it, but not monster meat or morsels or frog legs, etc. I can envision a meat effigy that you make sans meat, and then fill it like a chest with various meat items. The particular items you use might even change how effectively it resurrects you. :)

Cool, I like the idea of the combined foods and altered meat effigies. Sort of Pet Cemetery.Are we going to be able to make potions by chance in this cauldron..? Maybe character enhancements temporary or otherwise.Glowing ability; Rabbit legs to run faster. It'd be interesting to be able to mimic some of the creatures around you. Maybe some underwater exploration in a distant future update

I have a question about what the game will be like on the exe. version of the game. Also what are you going to do about people who want to see this game on linux? Also do you have any thought of putting this game on the indie royal or humble bundle once it launches?

Cooking is very nice so i hope there will be some kind of Herb-Witch in the forest that trades some rare/exotic ingredients :p

Oh my god, I just wanted to add something like "or make a rotating camera". I feel so stupid now )))Thank you for the info! ♥

• Developer

Fishing is going to have to wait for the next update. Sorry about that. It is coming, though! Most of the assets are done, but it needs some more time for tuning.I would rather delay the fishing and get the remaining features to work better than rush out a bunch of half-finished features. Cooking, the research changes, bird trapping, and the creepy pig thing are all looking pretty certain.