Sign in to follow this  
Fidooop

Shipwrecked mod for DST?

Recommended Posts

Kzisor    1061
8 hours ago, Lokoluna said:

I love you Kzisor.

I'm not sure whats more creepy. The fact you're confessing your undying love for me or the fact that 4 people liked the post and/or may feel the same way.

Update: 

We've ran into some slight issues with the animations not working entirely as expected. We're working diligantly to solve the issue. As for boats, the concepts I'm putting together will work differently that in Shipwrecked. A lot has to be changed in order to get them to play nice with multiplayer, so here is the current plan.

Boats will be placable in water. Once you set sail, boats become an equipped item on your player. If you log out while on a boat, the boat disappears with you. This is to prevent players from stealing your boat and you dying on logging back into the server. When you get off the boat, it becomes unequipped and any player may steal it.

Another other option for preventing a player from dying while logging back in, while at sea, would be to give them a 'life boat'. This would allow them to get back to shore. The life boat would disappear when you got off it.

Multiple people will not be able to share boats. That would require a significant portion of code that would only hinder current progress. I plan to start on the first iteration of boats this weekend which should allow us to work out the kinks in the animations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oooooh my gosh, I'm so excited to see this thing finished! The pictures you've shared with us look great so far! :D 

 

Along with the mobs/boats and such, are we going to be seeing all (or most) of the weapons/items as well? Like the chiminea and the spear gun?

 

Edited by TheTraditionalGentleman
Got rid of an annoying gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AnonymousKoala    3637
1 hour ago, Kzisor said:

I'm not sure whats more creepy. The fact you're confessing your undying love for me or the fact that 4 people liked the post and/or may feel the same way.

Update: 

We've ran into some slight issues with the animations not working entirely as expected. We're working diligantly to solve the issue. As for boats, the concepts I'm putting together will work differently that in Shipwrecked. A lot has to be changed in order to get them to play nice with multiplayer, so here is the current plan.

Boats will be placable in water. Once you set sail, boats become an equipped item on your player. If you log out while on a boat, the boat disappears with you. This is to prevent players from stealing your boat and you dying on logging back into the server. When you get off the boat, it becomes unequipped and any player may steal it.

Another other option for preventing a player from dying while logging back in, while at sea, would be to give them a 'life boat'. This would allow them to get back to shore. The life boat would disappear when you got off it.

Multiple people will not be able to share boats. That would require a significant portion of code that would only hinder current progress. I plan to start on the first iteration of boats this weekend which should allow us to work out the kinks in the animations.

I like these changes actually. Don't feel too different and make sense. Will boats still absorb damage taken while on sea? It could be done as if it was an armor(technically), even, since it's equipable. 

How will sails and other boat attachments be attached, though, if they're an equippable item? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kzisor    1061
10 minutes ago, TheTraditionalGentleman said:

Along with the mobs/boats and such, are we going to be seeing all (or most) of the weapons/items as well? Like the chiminea and the spear gun?

Many of the weapons and such will be added at a later date. More information will be released once we get to the alpha testing phase. Once I get boats fix, adding the rest should be significantly faster.

11 minutes ago, AnonymousKoala said:

I like these changes actually. Don't feel too different and make sense. Will boats still absorb damage taken while on sea? It could be done as if it was an armor(technically), even, since it's equipable. 

How will sails and other boat attachments be attached, though, if they're an equippable item? 

Boats will work similar to the way they work in Shipwrecked. Boats will have a health bar, can be repaired, have items equipped to them, etc.

The biggest thing with them being an equippable item is ensuring they disappear with the player when they log out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AnonymousKoala    3637
Just now, Kzisor said:

Many of the weapons and such will be added at a later date. More information will be released once we get to the alpha testing phase. Once I get boats fix, adding the rest should be significantly faster.

Boats will work similar to the way they work in Shipwrecked. Boats will have a health bar, can be repaired, have items equipped to them, etc.

The biggest thing with them being an equippable item is ensuring they disappear with the player when they log out.

Ah ok then. As usual, sounds solid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kzisor    1061
2 hours ago, 751409_1452794309 said:

Can you predict the time, in which you will release the alpha?

I do apologize but, I will not make any predictions on when we will be able to get to alpha testing. This is a long process for porting and I can assure you that we are making process with the port. Once I confer with my animator, we may be releasing some information on what we've accomplished this weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kzisor    1061

Update:

This weekend we were able to get the start of the boat functionality working, albeit has some bugs to work out. There was a lot of work done to make sure the animations are working as intended. They've been almost completely redone from the ones in Shipwrecked, but we've tried to maintain consistency where possible. There are still a few issues with the animations please bare than in mind.

Embarking:

bf6476ebe09baf6b61a9923a2db59c95.gif

Disembarking:

2a2ddab7368d0a8eec653af271505a0e.gif

Due to the fact that Klei has already chosen to use the 'Mount' and 'Dismount' actions for Beefalo Riding, we chose to use 'Embark' and 'Disembark' so we didn't have to worry about the code breaking if Klei made changes on their end. There are a few issues we still have to work out in the code for the animations to work properly. We believe these will be worked out when we get water not able to be walked upon and land not able to be sailed upon.

 

Sailing:

29fa60e26614c43c7252836624a53577.gif9eef230b0c88eac3f09959788e037907.gifa0943f2872aed857b7274b4fdfab6119.gif

As you can see we have the movement animations working, but there are some minor tweaks which the animator has already made, but aren't present in these animations. So some of the more minor issues seen will more than likely already be fixed.

Idling:

190c677518d21268b4d31e1eb15945f6.gif

As seen in this animation, there are a few minor tweaks which will need to be fixed.

What's happening next?

This coming week we're going to be ironing out the animations for the boats, making water not able to be walked upon and land not able to be sailed upon. At this moment in time we are about 25% complete with getting Islands and Boats implemented into Don't Starve Together.

We do have an internal timeline in which we want things to be completed. Unfortunately we are not wanting to make those dates public at this time, so please bare with us as we continue working on this mod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Serpens    571

I have no clue about animation stuff, but the mod "more actions" includes the action to jump. So you can jump over small water gaps, or walls and such stuff.
I think this jump animation might be similiar to the embar/disembark animation. So maybe this mod could help you to fix the animation ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kzisor    1061
17 minutes ago, Serpens said:

I have no clue about animation stuff, but the mod "more actions" includes the action to jump. So you can jump over small water gaps, or walls and such stuff.
I think this jump animation might be similiar to the embar/disembark animation. So maybe this mod could help you to fix the animation ?

Thank you for the feedback, unfortunately I've already looked into that mod and it won't work for what we're doing. We believe that it's because the water is walkable and the character continues to try to walk to the entity before actually beginning the jump animation. We should be able to have it fixed this coming week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Veirian    13

Great job on the mod! Looking at the recent pictures, the water and the whole theme of the world seems more like Don't Starve basic rather than Shipwrecked (meaning the bright blue water, and the whole tropical feel). Is that because you are still in early development and haven't implemented it yet, or do you actually plan on the mod being that way?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Veirian said:

Great job on the mod! Looking at the recent pictures, the water and the whole theme of the world seems more like Don't Starve basic rather than Shipwrecked (meaning the bright blue water, and the whole tropical feel). Is that because you are still in early development and haven't implemented it yet, or do you actually plan on the mod being that way?

It won't be this way, he just implemented basic islands and water, but he did not add shipwrecked island biomes, nor did he add the right water texture, this will come later, because now he is working on animations and ships. So yeah that is why

Edited by 751409_1452794309

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kzisor    1061
6 hours ago, Veirian said:

Great job on the mod! Looking at the recent pictures, the water and the whole theme of the world seems more like Don't Starve basic rather than Shipwrecked (meaning the bright blue water, and the whole tropical feel). Is that because you are still in early development and haven't implemented it yet, or do you actually plan on the mod being that way?

The bright blue water has been added, it's just not in the screenshots I've uploaded.

2 hours ago, 751409_1452794309 said:

It won't be this way, he just implemented basic islands and water, but he did not add shipwrecked island biomes, nor did he add the right water texture, this will come later, because now he is working on animations and ships. So yeah that is why

I have added all of Shipwreckeds water tiles, directly from Shipwrecked. The reason the pictures don't look the same is due to the atmosphere colours of Don't Starve Together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kzisor    1061

Update:

This week has come a long nicely so far. While we haven't had much time to work on the mod, we have made progress when we had time.

Due to the complexity of the water issue, we were forced to rewrite a subsection of the world generation code. This has made the world generation a little slower (maybe 2 seconds), but a lot more precise. This new functionality allows us to specify the water tiles with 100% accuracy which means prefabs no longer generate on water tiles unless they are water prefabs.

Depending on how the research goes tonight, we may be able to release information about alpha testing this weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kzisor    1061
On 12/21/2016 at 5:08 PM, Lokoluna said:

I still love you. Kzisor.

Still cannot determine if I should be creeped out by the post, or by the fact that 3 people still agree with this post.

53 minutes ago, mags01 said:

Klei needs to hire you! Kudos!

[insert poor Canadian immigration joke about Donald Trump here]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brocca    15

Just wondering, 

2 minutes ago, Kzisor said:

Still cannot determine if I should be creeped out by the post, or by the fact that 3 people still agree with this post.

[insert poor Canadian immigration joke about Donald Trump here]

Just wondering how do u check or do you remove the Fog of war to check ur map? from time to time to check, coz i was adding sample set piece and cant see if its there.. any console code to reveal the map and remove the fog of war? for modding purposes? 
Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lokoluna    50
6 hours ago, mags01 said:

Just wondering, 

Just wondering how do u check or do you remove the Fog of war to check ur map? from time to time to check, coz i was adding sample set piece and cant see if its there.. any console code to reveal the map and remove the fog of war? for modding purposes? 
Thank you

You can download the mod TMI or [Too many items] Its a familiar name a lot of games use in a mod that pretty much gives yo udev tools, it allows you do an assortment of things including revealing the map, however it will not stay revealed, but it will show everything last seen in that position. you can also then choose to hide it if you wish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kzisor    1061

Thank you to everyone who has followed along with our journey. We've officially announced the port and you can find more information out in our new thread.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this