Ancient Guardian Needs A Change

Let's start with how the Ancient Guardian is in DS. A reskin of a Rook, with more hp, unique drops(Hell, the horn is one of the things people worldhop especially for), and a slight change in attack(with the addition of an uppercut ability). Not the most enticing boss but one of the most important.

Now in DST, with unrenewable ruins and just 1 of them, the horn might as well not exist, and the chest is pretty pathetic as a one time potential reward, and the fact it's now a tanky reskin of a rook with slight differences.

My suggestion is to change the fight so it's a raid boss like thing(Would love a new arena too. Not sure if the current one can just be modified in existing worlds tho). A respawning, tougher guardian.

Mechanics I've thought of so far are having him change according to the nightmare cycle phase. On calm its what we have now, in Nightmare its a shadow version of it(think shadow pieces, but for guardian) with its own nasty set of new tricks and on Warning it's warming up. If you kill it in Calm, the loot is the same as now or less than it. In warning there's a higher chance to get ruins gems and thulecite fragmants/thulecite/thulecite craftables, and in Nightmare there's the highest chance for these.

In order to prevent a player from turning this new fight into a joke too, the arena is surrounded by obelisks. When the guardian is awakened(I'd say have it sleep until attacked) by a player, have them rise and only go down when one side is dead(So either Guardian or all players in a certain radius from it).

Hello,

To be honest i don't feel we should touch the Guardian but think a little bit further. I feel we should just add stuff and change few things. I wouldn't mind having Guardian as it is, i would only make him re spawn like the other bosses.

Now, i feel ruins miss content, if you do not reset your caves, you cleaned them and your done. Having Thulicite statues regrow (they are magical after all, in a magic floor, so wouldnt be weird)  and adding maybe another bosse to it, like a true Minotaur would be awesome. They would have room to make his mechanics as good as BeeQueen & ToadStool, where his drop can be just a Key to a different Treasure Chest, With Stuff that is only obtainable from him (This would also give infinitive creativity to Klei without being stuck to an item that makes sense a Minotaur drop) He would be simple Another Guardian of another Chest :)

Also i feel 80% of the Ruins items are not used so a re-work on the crafting table on that matter would be really good.

King Regards,

Glhrmzz

I remember that a while back someone said on a stream that they might change the guardian sometime while updating dst. I'm hoping that we'll have an update that generally improves the ruins, making the guardian respawn and the fight more interesting, making the repairable clockworks not useless (they turn hostile and stop following you when you leave the game and they are always hostile towards other players) and maybe adding a way to regen the ruins, not just the statues but the enemies and everything since a ruins raid early on in a long term server makes them pretty much lose their purpose. Not sure how it could be done but maybe there could be some kind of altar that would require some valuable items and it could only be done rarely like once per 100 days so people can't get lots of thulecite too quickly?

22 minutes ago, Glhrmzz said:

King Regards,

I didn't know you were a king Glhrmzz :0 Kappa

2 hours ago, Glhrmzz said:

Hello,

To be honest i don't feel we should touch the Guardian but think a little bit further. I feel we should just add stuff and change few things. I wouldn't mind having Guardian as it is, i would only make him re spawn like the other bosses.

Now, i feel ruins miss content, if you do not reset your caves, you cleaned them and your done. Having Thulicite statues regrow (they are magical after all, in a magic floor, so wouldnt be weird)  and adding maybe another bosse to it, like a true Minotaur would be awesome. They would have room to make his mechanics as good as BeeQueen & ToadStool, where his drop can be just a Key to a different Treasure Chest, With Stuff that is only obtainable from him (This would also give infinitive creativity to Klei without being stuck to an item that makes sense a Minotaur drop) He would be simple Another Guardian of another Chest :)

Also i feel 80% of the Ruins items are not used so a re-work on the crafting table on that matter would be really good.

King Regards,

Glhrmzz

Should totally have the original versions of the Knights and Bishops there, too. So instead of just 1, they fight in a team of 6:

2 Ancient Guardians

2 Ancient Warriors

2 Ancient Priests

Of course, Ancient Guardian would have to change back to DS health for it to be fair.

2 hours ago, Vargling said:

Should totally have the original versions of the Knights and Bishops there, too. So instead of just 1, they fight in a team of 6:

2 Ancient Guardians

2 Ancient Warriors

2 Ancient Priests

Of course, Ancient Guardian would have to change back to DS health for it to be fair.

So a gank boss fight, in the ruins of an ancient city built largely out of golden material?

ornstein-smough-large.jpg

3 hours ago, Vargling said:

2 Ancient Guardians

2 Ancient Warriors

2 Ancient Priests

Why a team of 6 though?

(I like the concept of the other chess pieces getting their own boss version though)

1 hour ago, MeingroessterFan said:

So a gank boss fight, in the ruins of an ancient city built largely out of golden material?

10/10 would get rekt by Ancient Smough and Ancient Ornstein.

1 hour ago, MeingroessterFan said:

Ahhh... so many (painful) memories... especially when trying to get Ornstien's gear.

5 hours ago, Glhrmzz said:

Having Thulicite statues regrow (they are magical after all, in a magic floor, so wouldnt be weird)  and adding maybe another bosse to it, like a true Minotaur would be awesome.

The prefab for the ancient guardian is "minotaur". Also, if the ancient guardian respawned then we'd have more access to thulecite instead of needing weird, magically regrowing statues. Also, don't forget that you can dupe thulecite using the construction amulet and deconstruction staff. I swear, we fight the dragonfly on our server almost exclusively for green gems.

5 hours ago, Glhrmzz said:

Also i feel 80% of the Ruins items are not used

That's partly due to the difficulty of getting large amounts of thulecite. I've seen people use everything except for the pick/axe and the lazy forager. Although the pick/axe could really use more durability or a method of repairing it without using thulecite. It's something I've always wanted to use, but it feels like such a waste using thulecite for a tool when gold is much easier to get.

9 minutes ago, AnonymousKoala said:

Why a team of 6 though?

(I like the concept of the other chess pieces getting their own boss version though)

So that it matches a Chess board. If you see my new post I added a Queen & King too. It's designed to be fought as a team (DST's normal max is also 6.) or with Repaired Clockwork (like a chess fight :D)

Just now, Vargling said:

So that it matches a Chess board. If you see my new post I added a Queen & King too. It's designed to be fought as a team (DST's normal max is also 6.) or with Repaired Clockwork (like a chess fight :D)

eh, not a fan of that really. I'd much prefer something similar to the shadow pieces. perhaps rather than buffing each other on death, they compliment each other while alive? Defending the others, healing, dealing high damage when out of the other's protection.

Just now, AnonymousKoala said:

eh, not a fan of that really. I'd much prefer something similar to the shadow pieces. perhaps rather than buffing each other on death, they compliment each other while alive? Defending the others, healing, dealing high damage when out of the other's protection.

That is what they would do during the King battle.

The Rook would defend him

The Bishop would heal him

The Knight would fight for him

Hi everyone,

IMO Thulcite is already renewable enough in DST so I would not agree with the re-growing statues thing, It would make it far too easy. Perhaps if you can only mine them during the intense phase of the nightmare cycle itt might balance out. I also disagree that the caves once mined out are totally abandoned, cuz you still need to craft construction amulets and deconstruction staffs to keep the thulcite going, 

As for the Guardian I for sure think he needs to remain the way he is but respawn. Even if it means the player(s) performing some sort of stupidly difficult ritual to revive him or require some expensive items such as green gems. Having a single Houndious in a DST world is just silly, it can get taken out by a single Treeguard. 

I also agree that the ancient crafting tab needs a bit of re-work. The only things that end up crafted from there is the armor and maybe a houndious for decoration or to be used in some farm, and of course the green gem stuff. Since recently I've become to appreciate the starcaller's staff but this is for late late game, and is totally not worth it, just something to tickle your fancy. 

These are just my two cents on the subject, no offense to anyone. 

I think it'd be neat if the AG summoned earthquakes more and more as the fight went on.

Another random thought is that maybe the AG can harness the powers of the ancient gems.. so one power could be teleportation where it teleports behind you and KAPOW! Like this fella from killer instinct: 

mDS1E9e.png

Another one could be the power of light, so it can suck away your light sources. For green, maybe it has a chance to deconstruct or multiply some item of yours. Of course the player is gonna need counters to all of this. 

2 hours ago, Mday said:

Dont like raid boss. Don't we have enough already? Toad + Bee Queen + Dfly.

^

not to mention that the new bosses aren't worth fighting. df okay, it renews ruins gems and thulecite, but queen bee?

for some beans that heal you, while gaining health isn't hard at all. make fish sticks, pierogi, farm spider glands, use a tent/siesta or beat butterflies for easy healing and if neither of those are an option just rip and revive from a touchstone, amulet, effigy or just get the heart. dying and coming back to live with all your stats at 50% is more convenient than putting up with the resource waste that the bee queen is now after she got buffed. i swear the bee queen has the most stupid loot that ever existed and i know people are going to argu that it buffs for 2 mins and you can eat more beans after the effect ran out. okay, but that implies that you'll get hit over and over and over again, which literally makes you look like a hold f wigfrid and encourages a reckless play style.

toad loot is kinda optional to me as well. now that the end table can provide light by giving glow berries/lightbulbs, i just don't see any valid reason to get the lamps. the disco one might be something fun to mess with but that's it, not worth it at all. i gotta feed lightbulbs into the lamps so why not just equip the lantern and have a portable light? it maybe has less range so what? i can easily make 10 regular lanterns and place them down in my camp and don't need to farm 3 toads over multiple seasons to finally light up my whole base at night.

2 hours ago, Ginosaji said:

^

not to mention that the new bosses aren't worth fighting. df okay, it renews ruins gems and thulecite, but queen bee?

for some beans that heal you, while gaining health isn't hard at all. make fish sticks, pierogi, farm spider glands, use a tent/siesta or beat butterflies for easy healing and if neither of those are an option just rip and revive from a touchstone, amulet, effigy or just get the heart. dying and coming back to live with all your stats at 50% is more convenient than putting up with the resource waste that the bee queen is now after she got buffed. i swear the bee queen has the most stupid loot that ever existed and i know people are going to argu that it buffs for 2 mins and you can eat more beans after the effect ran out. okay, but that implies that you'll get hit over and over and over again, which literally makes you look like a hold f wigfrid and encourages a reckless play style.

toad loot is kinda optional to me as well. now that the end table can provide light by giving glow berries/lightbulbs, i just don't see any valid reason to get the lamps. the disco one might be something fun to mess with but that's it, not worth it at all. i gotta feed lightbulbs into the lamps so why not just equip the lantern and have a portable light? it maybe has less range so what? i can easily make 10 regular lanterns and place them down in my camp and don't need to farm 3 toads over multiple seasons to finally light up my whole base at night.

Toad lamps last longer but I hear you on that.

I don't want a raidboss just to have a raidboss, I want a boss in general really that is more than a reskinned mob with a tiny new ability and a lot more health.

Also I fully agree about Queen Bee. 

6 hours ago, AnonymousKoala said:

Toad lamps last longer but I hear you on that.

I don't want a raidboss just to have a raidboss, I want a boss in general really that is more than a reskinned mob with a tiny new ability and a lot more health.

Also I fully agree about Queen Bee. 

Doesn't matter wat you do, that guardian's skin won't change and will always looks like a Rook:C.

Archived