[Game Update] - (BETA) 193331

• Developer
  • Retrofitted existing Worlds to guarantee that all Sketches and Fossils are obtainable.
  • New worlds are guaranteed to contain a Maxwell Statue and at least one Clockwork Knight.
  • Abigail will no longer stop following Wendy when hit by a Weather Pain.
  • Scalemail and Thulecite Crown effects no longer trigger when a player’s mount takes damage.
  • Added more Scarecrow faces.
  • Fixed animation glitch when placing a Friendly Scarecrow.
  • Fixed animation glitch when placing Walls.
  • Fixed Mushtree errors sometimes logged during Worldgen.

View full update

• Like 8

1 hour ago, V2C said:
  • Retrofitted existing Worlds to guarantee that all Sketches and Fossils are obtainable.
  • New worlds are guaranteed to contain a Maxwell Statue and at least one Clockwork Knight.
  • Abigail will no longer stop following Wendy when hit by a Weather Pain.
  • Scalemail and Thulecite Crown effects no longer trigger when a player’s mount takes damage.
  • Added more Scarecrow faces.
  • Fixed animation glitch when placing a Friendly Scarecrow.
  • Fixed animation glitch when placing Walls.
  • Fixed Mushtree errors sometimes logged during Worldgen.

View full update

I noticed that we're not allowed to bring our statue sketches into the caves. Is there a reason for this? Is decorating the caves an ancient taboo? :p @V2C

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, SuperPsiPower said:

I noticed that we're not allowed to bring our statue sketches into the caves. Is there a reason for this? Is decorating the caves an ancient taboo? :p @V2C

I assume it's a limitation of the design, since as I understand it they're unique items similar to how the eyebone is unique.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TheHalcyonOne said:

I assume it's a limitation of the design, since as I understand it they're unique items similar to how the eyebone is unique.

It can be changed, I'm sure. It's a shame, I usually make bases in caves and now I can't even make it look pretty! :(

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, Mudley said:

Sem_t_tulo.png

Thanks a lot! Someone posted a gif with them on the scarcrow but seeing them individually helps.

12 minutes ago, ScottHansen said:

They were already in the art files, but now they are all hooked up in game.

Thanks for the explanation.

• Like 1

On 2016. 10. 15. at 10:18 AM, SuperPsiPower said:

I don't understand why Klei allow us to build BASIC SCULPTURES ONLY in caves. If you are worrying about players leaving the world with sketches, just let us take the chess pieces themselves through sinkholes. I am willing to move the sculptures all the way to my underground base from the cave entrance if you let us. It is just not fair not to allow the underground bases to have certain sculptures for decors. 

Edited by Cloverleaves

10 hours ago, Cloverleaves said:

I don't understand why Klei allow us to build BASIC SCULPTURES ONLY in caves. If you are worrying about players leaving the world with sketches, just let us take the chess pieces themselves through sinkholes. I am willing to move the sculptures all the way to my underground base from the cave entrance if you let us. It is just not fair not to allow the underground bases to have certain sculptures for decors. 

Issue is that entering a sinkhole is like exiting and entering a server. Hence why Followers don't come with you and Chester's bone gets dropped.

On 15/10/2016 at 2:18 AM, SuperPsiPower said:

I second this Mr @V2C . We need those amazing statues in the caves as-well. The simple sketches are not unique enough!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AnonymousKoala said:

Issue is that entering a sinkhole is like exiting and entering a server. Hence why Followers don't come with you and Chester's bone gets dropped.

Who doesn't know that. That still doesn't explain why the sketches/sculptures are not portable through sinkholes. I know Klei can make them portable if they want them to be. Just give me one reason that I should not carry sculptures through the sinkholes.

10 minutes ago, Cloverleaves said:

Who doesn't know that. That still doesn't explain why the sketches/sculptures are not portable through sinkholes. I know Klei can make them portable if they want them to be. Just give me one reason that I should not carry sculptures through the sinkholes.

They can, but doing so can("can"...will.) break a lot things working the same way.

14 minutes ago, AnonymousKoala said:

They can, but doing so can("can"...will.) break a lot things working the same way.

Then how about the sketches. Why I should not obtain/carry sketches underground? The sketches are not something you can consume away(giving a sketch to the potter's wheel doesn't make them disapear in case you don't know that. You can always retrieve the sketch back anytime you want when you break down the potter's wheel).

16 minutes ago, Cloverleaves said:

Then how about the sketches. Why I should not obtain/carry sketches underground? The sketches are not something you can consume away(giving a sketch to the potter's wheel doesn't make them disapear in case you don't know that. You can always retrieve the sketch back anytime you want when you break down the potter's wheel).

There is no such reason. Hence why we're not just letting it be but rather talking about ways to bypass the limit of not being able to carry them through. I offered that they'll randomly spawn in the caves like they do in worlds where the statues have been mined, someone else offered they'll be found in the vases in the ruins area(also giving a reason to smash them if one pleases), etc.

16 minutes ago, AnonymousKoala said:

There is no such reason. Hence why we're not just letting it be but rather talking about ways to bypass the limit of not being able to carry them through. I offered that they'll randomly spawn in the caves like they do in worlds where the statues have been mined, someone else offered they'll be found in the vases in the ruins area(also giving a reason to smash them if one pleases), etc.

Oh, that would be very cool! Getting unique sketches for the caves! A chair, a vase... Uh, I think there's a bowl?

I never make an underground base, but that might inspire me! :p

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ExtollerOfTrolls said:

Oh, that would be very cool! Getting unique sketches for the caves! A chair, a vase... Uh, I think there's a bowl?

I never make an underground base, but that might inspire me! :p

Someone suggested the ruins statues giving sketches. Tbh I'd LOVE that to be a replacement.

The sculpture table should be able to craft copies of sculpture sketches that can be taken into the caves or given to other players in the server. The original sketch still cannot be brought into the caves or stolen by disconnected players.

This would keep the current system in place and would allow spelunkers to sculpt their own masterpieces! Everyone's happy!

Also, ice and thulecite should be sculptable.

Edited by Weird Wanderer
  • Like 2

• Developer

Guys, we're definitely going to make Cave Sculpting Great Again!
The limitations in the initial beta release are mainly because the chesspiece sculptures respond to New Moon events, and we wanted to focus on testing those events first, before introducing other variables and special cases that we will eventually deal with through hot fixes (such as Caves always being New Moon, etc.).

• Like 12

26 minutes ago, V2C said:

Guys, we're definitely going to make Cave Sculpting Great Again!
The limitations in the initial beta release are mainly because the chesspiece sculptures respond to New Moon events, and we wanted to focus on testing those events first, before introducing other variables and special cases that we will eventually deal with through hot fixes (such as Caves always being New Moon, etc.).

Ah, I see thanks for that clarification. So with every big update, most of the intended features will not be implemented until you know the mechanics work? I'm assuming that is the same with the all strange and intriguing shadow atrium? @V2C

Klei developers... So secretive...

Edited by MrFurphie
Specification to who I am asking my questions.

49 minutes ago, V2C said:

Thanks for the clarification. This storyline has me hyped and seeing the mechanics tell that storyline just fill me with glee.

• Developer
47 minutes ago, MrFurphie said:

Ah, I see thanks for that clarification. So with every big update, most of the intended features will not be implemented until you know the mechanics work? I'm assuming that is the same with the all strange and intriguing shadow atrium? @V2C

Klei developers... So secretive...

To clarify, it means in the Caves, entities can't tell the surface Moon Phase, so they behave as if it's always New Moon.  The same way as how some creatures think it's always Night time in the Caves.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, V2C said:

To clarify, it means in the Caves, entities can't tell the surface Moon Phase, so they behave as if it's always New Moon.  The same way as how some creatures think it's always Night time in the Caves.

Now what if the entities are under a light shaft?