Industrial Resolution for DST?

Your Interest  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Would you actually play with IR for DST?

• Yes, I'd love to play it
    • Yes, I wouldn't mind playing with it enabled
    • No, I'd rather not
  2. 2. What resources should be required?

• Use basic resources a lot. (e.g. stone)
    • Use high-end resources a lot. (e.g. gears)
    • Use unique resources (specifically for industry) a lot. (e.g. plastic)
    • Don't, this mod is horrible, I dislike DST and I hate this mod, why would you even suggest making it?
  3. 3. What playstyle would you prefer?

• Cooperative, players should trade resources from all over the world.
    • Competitive, players should be able to sabotage and leech.

Hello, I am the maker of Industrial Resolution:

Some people recently brought up the idea of porting this mod to DST, something I have actually started doing long ago. It never saw the light of day due to lack of my own interest, mostly. I am still unconfident if there is enough demand to justify the effort, so please take the poll or leave a response.

Instead of porting it, I would redesign the mod to suit multiplayer better:

• Resource demand for creating industry will be lowered, but maintaining it will become more intense. While key chokes (e.g. gears for coal generator) will remain, there won't be need to grind for basic survival resources (e.g. rocks) to create a basic network. This is to encourage early use of industry.
  • Silver, being a limited resource unique to caves and desert, will probably get removed. This is to allow a little bit of industry for everyone. I consider oil as a good replacement for it.
  • "Griefing tools" (e.g. lightning staff) will only be able to harm industry at a large scale, if at all, but definitely not basic survival items. This is to keep industry more or less optional.
  • The in-game guide might disappear completely, if the systems and machines become intuitive enough (lets hope they do). This is because most people won't have time to read that book for five minutes straight.
  • Pollution might be introduced as a part-regional-part-global effect of some machines. It would be a complicated system encouraging players to either agree on standards or force opposing groups to abandon industry...
  • IR will be one big mod, not several small ones. Add-Ons will hopefully remain possible.

Feel free to bring up whatever comes to your mind!

Help is of course appreciated, mostly testers, since my potato RAM won't let me try client-side locally unless I wait half an hour.

I do not guarantee the creation of IR DST, this is merely an idea at the time of writing.

Edited by Mobbstar

Could you add a no preference option or maybe something in the middle for coop vs comp? I like the idea of splitting off into teams. I also like just all around cooperation. However, I do feel that people would probably not get too far with every man to himself pvp.

Would it be too complicated to add support for deployable transistors and wires? With that you would be able to make actual digital circuits. And shortcircuits result in possibly dangerous fires!

But this is probably overambitious, so never mind me, hehe.

Edited by Joachim

Thanks heaps for the shoutout! I voted and subscribed.

I think pollution could use the disease mechanics. If there are no evergreens/birches near a lot of machines, berrybushes get diseased no matter the variant stage elsewhere. Hey, they could even be poisonous!

I think it depends on the structures what resources they should require. For instance some metals are better to be used in heating. You will probably want to use (char)coal a lot. Marble is heat-durable. Nightmare fuel sounds slick; oil from this?

Lastly, I can help with testing and write examination quotes for you. Joachim taught me how to code them in (thanks, Joachim!).

Huh.  Having read the description of the mod, I'm a little confused.  Exactly HOW much higher tech are we talking here?  Steampunkish with a little electricity, so, around 1900's (old-fashioned huge lightbulbs, rotary-dial wall phones with an ear trumpet thing you use to listen, wrought-iron lampposts with electric bulbs in them instead of gaslights) or, like, more modern stuff?  And is the more modernish stuff (such as robots) still fantasyish, or do they look more like, well, robots?  Basically I'm wondering if it'd still look like Don't Starve after I install the mod and start actually building stuff.  :p

At any rate, I'm kinda sad I can't vote for having lots of basic resources AND lots of gears.  You'd need both, after all.  Gears for the grinding clockworks of the modern age! and stuff like the coal and whatnot to _power_ it in the first place would come from raw rocks and whatnot grabbed out of the earth.  Like, _mine_ basics to get the coal rocks that you then refine, then use gears to make the finished machine work, if you get what I mean.

And the pollution would totally work . Like Arlesienne, I'm fine with that, 'cos I'm reminded of what happens when you hit the Industrial Revolution era in the Civilization games.  HOO boy!  Science your butt off towards recycling, parks, etc. or you are kinda _doomed_. 

...Notorious

Polluted ponds first get a little bit murky (discoloured--a hint of brown mixed into the blue), and it takes longer than average to get fish from them (fewer fish).  Then, they get very definitely murky (more than just a hint of brown), no fish at all, fewer frogs.  At full pollution the water turns fully dark greenish-brown and everything's dead--frogs, fish, plants.

Or that's my random idea.  Heh.

I can also see polluted plants just not giving their resources anymore; although you'd need a way other than the "withered" graphic to show that. Like, full size/shape but with a sickly colouring on it or something?  I dunno.  Just spitballing here!  It's not even my mod anyway.  : P

...Notorious

Thanks for the feedback!

Spoiler
18 hours ago, Arlesienne said:

Nightmare fuel sounds slick; oil from this?

Get this disgusting magic away from me! Just kidding, but oil should be a unique resource, with its unique source and unique means of acquiring (pumps!).

18 hours ago, Joachim said:

Would it be too complicated to add support for deployable transistors and wires? With that you would be able to make actual digital circuits. And shortcircuits result in possibly dangerous fires!

I couldn't and still can't think of a good way to make wires layable properly (the best I can think of is using wall grid, but even that isn't very reliable), in DS this mod uses small lightning rods to conduct power :p Though I see your point, maybe I can make those generally more hazardous.

15 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Exactly HOW much higher tech are we talking here?

Let's just say "modern translated to DS physics". The lamps, for instance, are singular, massively oversized LEDs ;)

15 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

At any rate, I'm kinda sad I can't vote for having lots of basic resources AND lots of gears.  You'd need both, after all.  Gears for the grinding clockworks of the modern age! and stuff like the coal and whatnot to power it in the first place would come from raw rocks and whatnot grabbed out of the earth.  Like, mine basics to get the coal rocks that you then refine, then use gears to make the finished machine work, if you get what I mean.

As said: "choke points" will be a thing, mostly in form of resources. I won't even bother with making gears replenishable because there are tons of mods for just that.

From the poll and responses I take it that normal resources should be the focus of making machines, while unique resources should be the focus of fueling and using those machines. I really like that idea!

In order to further make maintaining a large electric network difficult, electricity should probably slowly deplete in generators and machines (but not batteries). Hopefully I can rewrite the code to allow machines draining charge from their network as they need it.

(Im still pondering over a way to scrap networks as such and instead send charge via the required conduits to the machine. It'd require pathfinding and wouldn't be easy, possibly not worth the effort. The current system has been created with efficiency in mind and probably failed at.)

Also, I will probably publish both an "unstable" branch for volunteer testers (so they don't have to sign up or anything) and a "stable" branch for probably never getting any updates the common player.

...IF I get around to actually doing it, that is :p

Edited by Mobbstar

Here's the plan in regards of unique industry resources (just "uniques" for short):

• There are three types of uniques: Oil, Coal and Silver
  • Every area away from the spawnpoint has one and only one unique, indicated by occasional scenery (e.g. oil fountain).
  • Every area has a "reserve" of its unique that slowly regenerates.
  • They can only be harvested over time using a specific machine for each type (similiar like beeboxes).
  • There's three main tiers of industry:
    • Tier 1 does not require uniques to function. This only covers basic things to set a working factory up.
    • Tier 2 requires one of the uniques. Depending on the accessible type, only some (non-essential) machines and items are available.
    • Tier 3 requires two of the uniques, the second one either as fuel or in form of a compound material: Carbon Fabric, Circuit Board and... whatever coal and silver could make together

I hope this concept encourages cooperation among different player groups. To acquire uniques requires occasionally harvesting the factories (and powering them of course) and to be perfectly equipped one needs all three uniques.

Please leave any thoughts, especially ideas for some sciency name of a thing faintly made of coal and silver.

On 26/08/2016 at 10:57 AM, Mobbstar said:

Please leave any thoughts, especially ideas for some sciency name of a thing faintly made of coal and silver.

carbargool (from latin : carbo = coal & argós = silver) just a thought that can be explored/tweaked further depends what it is in fact. (I just came here & contribute but I don't own DST :p )

11 minutes ago, whismerhill said:

carbargool (from latin : carbo = coal & argós = silver) just a thought that can be explored/tweaked further depends what it is in fact. (I just came here & contribute but I don't own DST )

Hey, using "Argos" in the name is not a bad idea. Thank you very much!