Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

Faintly Macabre

If SW isn't getting fixed, can we at least have our money back?

Recommended Posts

Much as I love Don't Starve and was looking forward to this, Shipwrecked has been really disappointing. So many cool ideas lost in a muck of bugs, CTDs, poor balancing, the works, and not a peep out of you guys about any of it. I mean I've seen some Klei posters but it's been for stuff like "Where are the DRM-free keys" and "will this get to PS Vita" and so on; nothing about the tremendous lack of polish, and we got what, a handful of hotfixes within a week or two and nothing since. Made especially frustrating by DST getting patches with inane stuff like examination string rewrites (you have any idea how much stuff in SW have none at all, much less one for every character?) every other day.

Yeah, $5 is a trifle, but it's $5 I put up expecting a finished product I still haven't gotten, and if it's never coming, I'd like it back just on principle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DwerBomb    6,101

No. You've played it, come on. And it's only 5 bucks. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be good, but the cost wasn't much.

the dlc is still unfinished and lacks love, but having your money back isn't going to fix it :/ 

only...fixing it will fix it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed... I'd rather have it fixed than have my money back.

The expansion, so far, has provided me at least $5 worth of fun. I'd rather the expansion had been more complete and robust, however, even if it would have driven the price up to $10 or $15.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lysh    72

Yeah, I'm still obsessively playing this game, but I would honestly pay 5 or 10 more dollars for more content, maybe some of the cool stuff that's happening in DST, and bug fixes (except for the bottle lantern bug...that can stay, haha). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like there's some selective reading going on here. Y'all latched onto the "money back" part, ignoring the "if". I too would far rather they fixed it, but it's been nearly two months and there's no signs at all that it's going to happen.

And if I'm being completely honest? I'd say I probably got $5's worth of amusement out of it myself, too. But that's not how purchases are supposed to work. Your money, no matter how much it is, is supposed to get you a product, with a reasonable expectation that the product is complete and stable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AnonymousKoala    3,635
23 hours ago, TheHalcyonOne said:

Much as I love Don't Starve and was looking forward to this, Shipwrecked has been really disappointing. So many cool ideas lost in a muck of bugs, CTDs, poor balancing, the works, and not a peep out of you guys about any of it. I mean I've seen some Klei posters but it's been for stuff like "Where are the DRM-free keys" and "will this get to PS Vita" and so on; nothing about the tremendous lack of polish, and we got what, a handful of hotfixes within a week or two and nothing since. Made especially frustrating by DST getting patches with inane stuff like examination string rewrites (you have any idea how much stuff in SW have none at all, much less one for every character?) every other day.

Yeah, $5 is a trifle, but it's $5 I put up expecting a finished product I still haven't gotten, and if it's never coming, I'd like it back just on principle.

Here's why I think SW is such a failure.

Passion. Capy toyed around with the engine and gave us the first SW version, did 4 updates with pretty small content additions(all the changes from the first version other than some good nerfs are really just taking fun away if anything) to the overall picture. But they toyed around. They weren't very passionate(didn't feel like it really), just toyed around with the engine.

Compare to DST. DS with multiplayer was something many players asked, and when it happened, look at it. Its getting more polish than the singleplayer, shading light on a lot of things players were curious about, adding new mechanics that fit right in, new creatures, etc. etc. etc.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PhelsarusBeel    3,996
12 minutes ago, AnonymousKoala said:

Here's why I think SW is such a failure.

Passion. Capy toyed around with the engine and gave us the first SW version, did 4 updates with pretty small content additions(all the changes from the first version other than some good nerfs are really just taking fun away if anything) to the overall picture. But they toyed around. They weren't very passionate(didn't feel like it really), just toyed around with the engine.

Compare to DST. DS with multiplayer was something many players asked, and when it happened, look at it. Its getting more polish than the singleplayer, shading light on a lot of things players were curious about, adding new mechanics that fit right in, new creatures, etc. etc. etc.

 

Pretty much this.

SW had a lot potential yet Capy did barely anything with it. If you look at the Early Acces SW forum you see so many good ideas that would have benefited SW a lot and helped it being distinguished from Vanilla and RoG.

But alas all we got where minimal changes 4 Characters I won't touch ever (well maybe I try Woodlegs once I unlocked him but ATM that's not really something I care about) and a world that consist of 75% water with nothing in it.

I  hope that Klei might consider picking SW back up or at least give it the polish it needs once Through the Ages is finished. But what I can say for certaint is that from now on I will be a lot more carefull when I see the name Capybara Games next to a product (it might sound harsh but SW was a bad experience with them in my books).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AnonymousKoala    3,635
1 minute ago, Mr.P said:

Pretty much this.

SW had a lot potential yet Capy did barely anything with it. If you look at the Early Acces SW forum you see so many good ideas that would have benefited SW a lot and helped it being distinguished from Vanilla and RoG.

But alas all we got where minimal changes 4 Characters I won't touch ever (well maybe I try Woodlegs once I unlocked him but ATM that's not really something I care about) and a world that consist of 75% water with nothing in it.

I  hope that Klei might consider picking SW back up or at least give it the polish it needs once Through the Ages is finished. But what I can say for certaint is that from now on I will be a lot more carefull when I see the name Capybara Games next to a product (it might sound harsh but SW was a bad experience with them in my books).

Warly - cool concept, comes down to a character who makes willson look exciting.

Walani - early game exploration. Post hurricane season she lost the tiny capability she had. 

Woodlegs - fun, not that reliable/op(Has no middle).

Wilbur - warly and walani change your playstyle more than wilbur. as them you at least have to adjust a few things. Wilbur changes the exprience by so little.

SW is fun when its merged, but there's no focus on either playing it by itself or on playing it combined, which leads to a very undefined product.

 

I'm the same as you about that last section. I have to agree. Capy were an unfamiliar name to me before, and my first encounter with them being such a bad one...Really doesn't give me a good impression as a consumer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Maslak    4,232

 Well, I played Super Time Force Ultra from CAPY and the game is cool - once you finish it there is nothing more to do like in many games, but was cool and fun to play anyway.
 Yeah, Shipwrecked doesn't look like a finished product :/ Today I unlocked Woodlegs so maybe I'll have some fun with him, but that's all. The worst part is that my elephant cacti are just disappearing (day 320 and I lost 2). Planting them super close was hard and I got stuck a lot of times, wasting resources and hp to get out, so when one of them disappears it can be really annoying, cause all the mechanism stops working and you just lost one non-renewable item.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hyiltiz    266
On 5/23/2016 at 8:37 AM, Maslak said:

 Well, I played Super Time Force Ultra from CAPY and the game is cool - once you finish it there is nothing more to do like in many games, but was cool and fun to play anyway.
 Yeah, Shipwrecked doesn't look like a finished product :/ Today I unlocked Woodlegs so maybe I'll have some fun with him, but that's all. The worst part is that my elephant cacti are just disappearing (day 320 and I lost 2). Planting them super close was hard and I got stuck a lot of times, wasting resources and hp to get out, so when one of them disappears it can be really annoying, cause all the mechanism stops working and you just lost one non-renewable item.

Every time I bump into a SW bug, I forgive myself for furiously using Console Powers to rescue myself out; e.g. getting stuck in the middle of just planted (not yet ashed) elephant cacti. There is no way you could get out of that thing in normal cases before you die there waiting for Tiger Shark miraculously appear just for you and pound the ass out of them, or you just wait till Dry Season and get a Egg on your head. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TalZahn    62

I'm fine without getting my money as I had some fun on the game... But lately I just found myself hating Shipwrecked.

Decided it has been awhile since I played a pure Shipwrecked game last night, and since I never played Walani, started up a new file. WAs having fun for awhile. Set up some things. Since I knew the game gets laggy, lowered some settings. Then while farming some monkeys... RANDOM CRASH! No error screen, just Don't starve 'stopped working.'

Just giving up on Shipwrecked until some fixes get rolled out. If that turns out to be never, then I guess I'm done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hyiltiz    266

Yeah, random crash is among one of the most annoying bugs, along with stuff that cannot determine whether they are on land or on water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
thesamon    253

I haven't really been running into any bugs in SW, but the DLC itself is just so bland. No offense, but it's just like a bad sequel..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Xedlord    1,142
On 6/3/2016 at 5:01 AM, thesamon said:

I haven't really been running into any bugs in SW, but the DLC itself is just so bland. No offense, but it's just like a bad sequel..

yeah what he said

 

On 6/3/2016 at 3:22 AM, hyiltiz said:

Yeah, random crash is among one of the most annoying bugs, along with stuff that cannot determine whether they are on land or on water.

and what you said

i cant even start a game because it crashes so much

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites