Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

DeputyDeath

What things in this game are dumb and need fixing?

Recommended Posts

DeputyDeath    262

I'm not talking about bugs that occur really infrequently, or things that happen in ludicrously specific situations that probably wouldn't occur without cheats.

I'm talking about the absolutely ridiculous ones. Things that actually affect gameplay fairly significantly and somehow still aren't fixed. 

Here are mine:

*Shadow creatures teleport onto water and get stuck on the shoreline. This happens way too much when I'm using the slot machine, which is surrounded on three sides by the ocean.

*Doydoys walking into walls constantly. Why has this no been changed yet? I know they're stupid animals but the laughable AI is going a bit too far.

*Baby water beefalo. Or, more to the point, the fact that they don't exist and the fact that my water beefalo don't appear to reproduce at all.

*Whales not bloating properly. It seems that they don't bloat at all unless you're nearby, but the likelihood of you killing a whale extremely close to your base is close to 0, especially in such a big map. I've had a whale carcass sitting there since Hurricane Season, and it still isn't ready now that I'm in Calm Season again! It's not even that far from my base!

What about you guys? Do you have any others?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TeoSS69    2,204
  • A frozen mob dying to fire damage.
  • Shadow Creatures dying to fire damage even when sane.
  • Fire damage in general.
  • "It's a thing..."
  • Maxwell's Puppets trying to follow you at sea.
  • Ease of killing Crabbits.
  • Ease of killing Jellyfish.
  • The name of the game.
  • This ********.
  • Switching between firing a cannon and doing an action with a tool.
  • Fashion Melons keeping you warn in winter.
  • Warly and Walani.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
T4T3RGR3NAD3R    2,749

I absolutely hate the hounds in Shipwrecked. They should not be a thing. It doesn't make even the slightest bit of sense for them to show up, and you can just leave them on a useless island. It would be much better if the Sea Hounds were given seasonal variety (If they have it and I don't know, sorry!) and followed you along the coastline, trapping you on the island unless you choose to fight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Daggaroth    129

One thing I want to know about is the Day counter. As others have mentioned:

  • going into the Caves / Ruins / Volcano seems to mess it up
  • the discrepancies in season lengths seem really unusual
  • using the Teleportato now seems to preserve Day count, whereas it didn't from what I remember from the ol' Vanilla days
    • To clarify, if you world jump on day 50, you will start on day 2-50 rather than 2-1. I wondered if this change was intended for people that like enjoy setting survival records, however, it has some consequences. While the first Hound wave of the new world will be as expected, subsequent waves will be as intense as the 'day count' implies. So if you world hop after Day 100, you better bring something with you to prepare you for 10 angry dogs. Things like Treeguard spawn rates will also still be in effect. While you can prepared for this harsher 'beginning' when you hop, it can be risky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jacq    13

I think the adult water beefalo need fixing too. They seem way too aggro.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CaptainFun    432
7 hours ago, TeoSS69 said:
  • "It's a thing..."

I've noticed this a lot. Wilson doesn't have any examination lines for a lot of basic things. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Daggaroth    129
2 minutes ago, CaptainFun said:

I've noticed this a lot. Wilson doesn't have any examination lines for a lot of basic things. 

It is pretty tragic that Warly, the chef character, doesn't have examination lines for most of the crockpot dishes introduced in Shipwrecked (although I suspect it's the same for all characters)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DeputyDeath    262
7 hours ago, TeoSS69 said:
  • “It's a thing...”
  • The name of the game
  • Switching between firing a cannon and doing an action with a tool.

Holy crap I've never seen a coral reef that big before!

The missing examination quotes is utterly ridiculous, because they actually said in the most recent update that they added the missing ones. Plus, the examination quotes that already are in the game don't really match up to the character very well. Okay, Wolfgang's quotes don't match up with Wolfgang's personality, I'm not sure about the rest.

I think that the cannon in general is pretty crap. If the damage was buffed and it had a larger AoE then MAYBE it'd worth using, but right now I really don't see the point in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DeputyDeath    262
6 hours ago, AnonymousKoala said:

I remember the volcano staff crashed the game when used in RoG/Vanilla because of the volcano managar thing.

Is that fixed? 

Who even uses the volcano staff though? It's the equivalent of the winter/Summer trap in the base game, only you voluntarily went out of your way to craft it and use it. It's the biggest joke of a magic item since the lazy forager, and even that was vaguely useful if you were too lazy (duh) to pick up logs after taking down a forest. I guess you could use it in a rock biome to destroy the krissures (which works kinda well), but you'd be better of with a shovel anyway.

If you ask me, they should remove it altogether.

Also, I think they should stop the Quacken from dropping walking canes too. It seems more logical to have it only from the slot machine as a rare drop (it took over 60 dubloons and more mosquitos than I'm willing to admit to get mine) than for the Quacken to have one too, because it's an infinite durability item and having too many ways to get it causes them to pile up. They're like beefalo horns, only there's literally no use for any more than one of them.

Maybe the Quacken could drop some thelucite stuff instead, or some kind of boat cannon that's ACTUALLY WORTH USING. 

Or a quackering ram.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AnonymousKoala    3,635
3 hours ago, DeputyDeath said:

Who even uses the volcano staff though? It's the equivalent of the winter/Summer trap in the base game, only you voluntarily went out of your way to craft it and use it. It's the biggest joke of a magic item since the lazy forager, and even that was vaguely useful if you were too lazy (duh) to pick up logs after taking down a forest. I guess you could use it in a rock biome to destroy the krissures (which works kinda well), but you'd be better of with a shovel anyway.

If you ask me, they should remove it altogether.

Also, I think they should stop the Quacken from dropping walking canes too. It seems more logical to have it only from the slot machine as a rare drop (it took over 60 dubloons and more mosquitos than I'm willing to admit to get mine) than for the Quacken to have one too, because it's an infinite durability item and having too many ways to get it causes them to pile up. They're like beefalo horns, only there's literally no use for any more than one of them.

Maybe the Quacken could drop some thelucite stuff instead, or some kind of boat cannon that's ACTUALLY WORTH USING. 

Or a quackering ram.

Its a trusty-ish way of destroying obsidian boulders.

...That's its only good upside. 

I agree about the cane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TeoSS69    2,204
4 hours ago, CaptainFun said:

I've noticed this a lot. Wilson doesn't have any examination lines for a lot of basic things. 

Yet there are quotes for things that can't be examined at all, like Shadow Creatures. Not to mention re-writes of quotes that have been around since 2012.

4 hours ago, DeputyDeath said:

Okay, Wolfgang's quotes don't match up with Wolfgang's personality, I'm not sure about the rest.

A surely magnificent post. I miss Kevin.

3 hours ago, DeputyDeath said:

there's literally no use for any more than one of them.

There's literally no reason not to make Lazy Explorers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oCrapaCreeper    3,092
26 minutes ago, TeoSS69 said:

Yet there are quotes for things that can't be examined at all, like Shadow Creatures.

I actually noticed that while digging through the speech files. Maxwell's examination line for the Swimming Horror for example is: "I've had enough of your kind, fiend". But of course they can't actually be examined.

Though this isn't odd. There's written dialog for stuff that isn't even used in-game, or situations that should be impossible, like Maxwell examining his own NPC counterpart. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DeputyDeath    262
2 hours ago, TeoSS69 said:

There's literally no reason not to make Lazy Explorers.

Yeah but you can't craft those in Shipwrecked without world-hopping, and I still refuse to do that. 

In RoG, your point does make sense, although I have only used a lazy explorer once in Don't Starve and you could easily argue that it wasn't necessary.

Also, lazy explorers are so easy to accidentally activate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hyiltiz    266
6 hours ago, DeputyDeath said:

Who even uses the volcano staff though? It's the equivalent of the winter/Summer trap in the base game, only you voluntarily went out of your way to craft it and use it. It's the biggest joke of a magic item since the lazy forager, and even that was vaguely useful if you were too lazy (duh) to pick up logs after taking down a forest. I guess you could use it in a rock biome to destroy the krissures (which works kinda well), but you'd be better of with a shovel anyway.

If you ask me, they should remove it altogether.

Also, I think they should stop the Quacken from dropping walking canes too. It seems more logical to have it only from the slot machine as a rare drop (it took over 60 dubloons and more mosquitos than I'm willing to admit to get mine) than for the Quacken to have one too, because it's an infinite durability item and having too many ways to get it causes them to pile up. They're like beefalo horns, only there's literally no use for any more than one of them.

Maybe the Quacken could drop some thelucite stuff instead, or some kind of boat cannon that's ACTUALLY WORTH USING. 

Or a quackering ram.

U use the Volcano staff to crack down the obsidian rocks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TeoSS69    2,204
2 hours ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

There's written dialog for stuff that isn't even used in-game

I've seen things about certain announcements but I think it's stuff that never got implemented and no one told the guy that wrote the lines. And I'm sure the guy/s that wrote them didn't have a big involvement in the game otherwise they wouldn't make separate quotes for Viney Bushes and Snake Dens. Right? RIGHT?

2 hours ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

Maxwell examining his own NPC counterpart. 

Can anyone examine NPC Maxwell at all without the console?

8 minutes ago, DeputyDeath said:

and I still refuse to do that. 

That's like saying the Thulecite you get from mining the Ruin's plug is useless because you refuse to go to the Ruins...

11 minutes ago, DeputyDeath said:

it wasn't necessary.

I could write a book about the things that aren't necessary in this game... We make better stuff because they make things easier, not because we need them.

Just now, hyiltiz said:

U use the Volcano staff to crack down the obsidian rocks.

Then use Ice on the Lava Pools to get back more Obsidian than you used to make the staff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oCrapaCreeper    3,092
1 minute ago, TeoSS69 said:

 

Can anyone examine NPC Maxwell at all without the console?

You used to select him I think during the intro but now you can't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mueck    537

Last time I checked, Tentacle Spikes didn't float on the water. So having Quacken Tentacles drop them, which was added in last update, isn't actually very useful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TeoSS69    2,204
4 minutes ago, Mueck said:

Last time I checked, Tentacle Spikes didn't float on the water. So having Quacken Tentacles drop them, which was added in last update, isn't actually very useful. 

Reported it just before the forum got taken down. RIP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DeputyDeath    262
47 minutes ago, TeoSS69 said:

That's like saying the Thulecite you get from mining the Ruin's plug is useless because you refuse to go to the Ruins...

I'm just not a fan of the world linking. It's not a bad concept, but it's certainly not my cup of tea and I'd rather keep both expansions as they were intended to be: separate experiences.

I'm not continuing this because I'd rather not derail my own thread. The ruins aren't really the same as world linking because they were intended from the start to be part of RoG and not glued onto the side awkwardly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TeoSS69    2,204
1 hour ago, DeputyDeath said:

things

I mean, don't say things are useless just because of your own personal bias.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AnonymousKoala    3,635
7 hours ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

I actually noticed that while digging through the speech files. Maxwell's examination line for the Swimming Horror for example is: "I've had enough of your kind, fiend". But of course they can't actually be examined.

Though this isn't odd. There's written dialog for stuff that isn't even used in-game, or situations that should be impossible, like Maxwell examining his own NPC counterpart. 

Wait you cant examine them? I actually never tried to haha. Please tell me where can I find all of the quotes about the shadow creatures without code digging?

5 hours ago, DeputyDeath said:

Yeah but you can't craft those in Shipwrecked without world-hopping, and I still refuse to do that. 

In RoG, your point does make sense, although I have only used a lazy explorer once in Don't Starve and you could easily argue that it wasn't necessary.

Also, lazy explorers are so easy to accidentally activate.

You call something problematic because of your preference and because its so easily to accidently activate(meaning its your mistake. I actually think its so easy to accidently activate as well, but again, it would be my mistake if I did so). Its an issue for you, not for others.

Still though, non renewable orange gems means you will be left with a thousand walking canes anyway at the end of the day.

4 hours ago, Mueck said:

Last time I checked, Tentacle Spikes didn't float on the water. So having Quacken Tentacles drop them, which was added in last update, isn't actually very useful. 

Actually it makes sense. If you're trying to summon Quacken you will have quite a few trawl nets, so after the fight ends, trawl and catch the spikes with the net you already brought. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mueck    537
23 minutes ago, AnonymousKoala said:

Actually it makes sense. If you're trying to summon Quacken you will have quite a few trawl nets, so after the fight ends, trawl and catch the spikes with the net you already brought. 

If I am not mistaken, then items, that are dropped into water in the Deep Ocean are immediately lost forever and cannot be retrieved with a trawl net.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TeoSS69    2,204
42 minutes ago, AnonymousKoala said:

Still though, non renewable orange gems means you will be left with a thousand walking canes anyway at the end of the day.

You're more likely to die IRL of boredom than you are to run out of Orange Gems. Either way you can world hop without resetting the SW world so...

15 minutes ago, Mueck said:

If I am not mistaken, then items, that are dropped into water in the Deep Ocean are immediately lost forever and cannot be retrieved with a trawl net.

You are not mistaken.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AnonymousKoala    3,635
20 minutes ago, Mueck said:

If I am not mistaken, then items, that are dropped into water in the Deep Ocean are immediately lost forever and cannot be retrieved with a trawl net.

It makes retrieving the tentacles harder, but hey, still possible. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites