Make poison permanent (curable of course)

Poison is completely avoidable.... 

Pleeeaaase devs... Don't ruin a perfectly good mechanic... 

I know some people complaint about poison, but it is like all old RoG gamers have such a hard time learning a new mechanic.... For me SW was the first game of the franchise, so I was a little surprised when I started a RoG world with no poison..... weird!! Poison totally makes sense and I like the challenge.

Tbh i would love if the Poisonslider in the Worldoptions would allow you to customize poison.

Then you could choose the duration yourself like say you got Short what is the 1 day option we had previously, medium lenght what is the 3 day timer we got now, long what is maybe 10+, permanent what is poison prepatch and none.

This way people can Customize poison as much as they like and no one can complain about it anymore.

17 minutes ago, Mr.P said:

Tbh i would love if the Poisonslider in the Worldoptions would allow you to customize poison.

Then you could choose the duration yourself like say you got Short what is the 1 day option we had previously, medium lenght what is the 3 day timer we got now, long what is maybe 10+, permanent what is poison prepatch and none.

This way people can Customize poison as much as they like and no one can complain about it anymore.

Then I think the options would be:

Never: never get poisoned

Very short: like half a day

Short: a day

Normal: what it is now, 3 days

Long: 5 days

Very long: 10 days

Permanent: what it was before the update, permanent and must be cured

When they change the poison mechanic from infinite time to one day, I (and many other people) were against this. We wrote many suggestions. Klei & Capy heard us, and change it to 3 days. Personally I think that poison mechanic is now quite good :-)

EDIT:
The only thing, I would change right now is to remove healing by a gland. This should be possible only through Anti Venom.

Infinite poison was horrible. It wasn't impossible to deal with, yes, and by day 100 you usually had enough antivenom and seashell armour to forget about it. But that was day 100 and by that time, nothing's really an issue except hound attacks.

Do you remember in the old system too when a poisoned enemy could then poison you when it attacked? I can assure anyone that escaping a pack of poisoned hounds that ran through a marsh was NOT fun.

22 minutes ago, TeoSS69 said:

Why though? Seashell Suit and Spear would be enough.

For some reason I never used to make the seashell suit. I obviously do now, but I never realised it had poison resistance until the poisoned enemies got changed.

17 minutes ago, TeoSS69 said:

ARMORSEASHELL = "Try your dirty tricks now, tiny poison creatures.",

Quotes aren't always just for flavor...

I ain't going to know what the quote is unless I've made it.

Which I never did because it looked like the equivalent of a luxury grass suit.

42 minutes ago, DeputyDeath said:

I ain't going to know what the quote is unless I've made it.

Which I never did because it looked like the equivalent of a luxury grass suit.

I think you can agree that's not the poison mechanic's fault then?

I do like that the poison not being permanent only because mechanics having multiple solutions is great for the game, and timing out poison allows dealing with it by just enduring it.

The problem with it is that it does so little damage, that it isn't very relevant. It is not a threat, it is just annoyance. There is no sense of impending doom, the kind you get with even the common mechanics.

Take (land) hounds for example, there is a ton of ways to deal with them. And no matter how prepared you are, you know that if you screw something up, you'll die. Every time they show up, there is a sense of threat, there are immediate actions you need to do to survive (e.g. move to your prepared defense area, equip armor, keep them away from flammables in case of dry season etc.). 

This doesn't apply to poison as it is right now. Because I know that I get 2 full days of screen flashing warnings where I can simply ignore it (two days combined deals about as much damage as first day before the patch). And I know, if I reach the third day, I can simply use healing items (or just become mighty in case of Wolfgang) to avoid death easily. So, no rush to get anti venom or venom glands. I can just keep doing what I'm doing, and if I feel like it, I can cure it.

2 hours ago, TeoSS69 said:

I think you can agree that's not the poison mechanic's fault then?

I guess so. But it's still strange to only have one item that protects fully against poison (the gas mask isn't very useful). I'd expect at least a few more, or maybe for the limestone armour to have poison resistance too.

1 minute ago, DeputyDeath said:

I guess so. But it's still strange to only have one item that protects fully against poison (the gas mask isn't very useful). I'd expect at least a few more, or maybe for the limestone armour to have poison resistance too.

There's another piece of armor that does the same thing, and that one's pretty appealing compared to alternatives.

Poison if not cured will ultimately take away about 290 health, that is almost 15 healing salves! Also it gets worse and worse toward the end. If you eat the venom gland you are just asking to get killed it isn't anything to complain about. It is almost as bad as when you first ate a red mushroom with low health. Plus you end up getting poisoned over and over again if you are not poison conscious. If you can survive 3 days of 290 damage that might I add is NOT protected by armor you deserve to be cured. On top of that it is 3 days of GAME TIME... not 3 days. If you sleep or siesta it doesn't count towards your 3 poison days.

12 minutes ago, TeoSS69 said:

There's another piece of armor that does the same thing, and that one's pretty appealing compared to alternatives.

Ooh, I never knew that about the horned helmet. Now I have even more reason to craft one except from looking cool and high water resistance...

I don't understand why so many people complaint about  poison, really. If you learn how to deal with it and if you are at least semi decent at kitting, then you are golden. I mean I'm not the best at kitting but I can get to day 40 without having to had dealt with poison. 

I have the feeling that many people don't understand that SW requires certain kind of knowledge and input. Some things you'll learn by experience (by dying some times), the others you can always learn from reading the patch notes or the Wiki entries.

For instance, first time I got poisoned, I googled "Poison Don't Starve" and learned that the Seashell suit can help against that. From then on, poison stopped being an issue for me. Seaweed and Seashells are everywhere so I don't understand what the deal is. Poison glands can be harvested easily if you know where to look for them.

1 hour ago, stl1234 said:

The problem with it is that it does so little damage, that it isn't very relevant. It is not a threat, it is just annoyance. There is no sense of impending doom, the kind you get with even the common mechanics.

Before the update, the health and sanity drain was so insignificant that you actually needed to be really low on health to actually die instantly from poisoning and if you were then you then needed to learn your lesson and start over with some extra knowledge about the game. 

I think that the mayor problem is that many people are familiar with the RoG strategy game, but SW is completely different. You need to be on the run always and look specifically for the things you need, but this you know only if you died before because you didn't have them. If you come to SW thinking about how you played in RoG then you will be very confused. SW demands certain flexibility from the player to learn new mechanics. For me, SW was the first game in the DS franchise. So, from the start, i knew that poison was a thing. 

5 hours ago, Spider2430 said:

Correction, not fun for you, but fun for everybody else. With poison at permanent it was fun......

The rest of your quote might be offensive for some, so I won't use it. 

I agree with you here. Permanent poison was fun.... and punishing if you were unprepared. 

3 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

The rest of your quote might be offensive for some, so I won't use it. 

I agree with you here. Permanent poison was fun.... and punishing if you were unprepared. 

Yes, it was very fun, when running around panicking, trying find the resources to make antivenom. Plus if you died from poison then u learned to avoid the poison snakes or trained on fighting them, so u can avoid getting bit by one. The main 2 creatures that I got poisoned the most by is the spider warrior and stinkray. Because I didn't have a shell armor to protect myself, the next time I played I made it my first priority to make a shell armor to defend myself.

Archived